Animated typing text - screen / typewriter effect

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2018
Animated typing text - screen / typewriter effect

So I've been scouring the web to find a good Max script/utility that can dynamically animate a typed phrase letter by letter without actually having to painstakingly animate each letter by hand.Lo and behold I found exactly what I was looking for on this guys website called "Typer"http://www.oferz.com/maxscripts.php.

Sadly, this old version of his script is no longer compatible with current versions of Max. Does anyone here know an alternative that can achieve this typing effect in Max? I've been digging around for hours and can't seem to find a good solution.

Last edited by LordRaidis : 04 April 2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: sp check

04 April 2018
You can use textplus with a very fast animation preset to make the letters appear instantly in one frame:

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by KaaF: You can use textplus with a very fast animation preset to make the letters appear instantly in one frame:

Yeah I saw that. Sadly, I don't have 2016 :/

04 April 2018
You don'e need it, just use the old spline text, extrude/bevel it and collapse it to editable mesh, and use the explode feature with 180 degrees to separate all the characters, the rest is the same as the video shows.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by KaaF: You don'e need it, just use the old spline text, extrude/bevel it and collapse it to editable mesh, and use the explode feature with 180 degrees to separate all the characters, the rest is the same as the video shows.

Edit: Ok I think I understand what you're saying. I'll try that.

04 April 2018
Just tried this. I can't do it because it appears there is no preset option in 2015. Thoughts?

04 April 2018
Animation Presets are part of 2016 as well. Is there a reason you're stuck on 2015? 2019 is out with all of those features and more.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by electrotoast: Animation Presets are part of 2016 as well. Is there a reason you're stuck on 2015? 2019 is out with all of those features and more.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm sort of land-locked to 2015 atm due to several different plugins that are linked to that particular version.

04 April 2018
Understood. Do you mind if I ask which ones? Maybe there's some way of not using those or maybe they've been updated differently.

04 April 2018
"Volume Select" animated + Delete Mesh Modifier. Animate the Vol' select across the type.

Or use an animated Grad across the text as an opacity channel or Vol' select Map.

04 April 2018
here's my take...let's say you have ONE line of text...

01) turn your text to polys
02) add a Slice modifier, rotate the gizmo to vertical, set to remove the 'right' side...
03) set key tangent type to Immediate (the Stairs icon)
04) Animate the Slice gizmo going left to right...each time jumping into the space between each characters...

05 May 2018
here's my attempt with no keyframes...I'm a non-scripter...see what a non-scripter can do with a bit of reading the help file ?
run this script:

delete objects

myphrase = "Writer's block...hmm..."

t=text name: "ControlledText" wirecolor:yellow

extrudemod = Extrude amount:0
addmodifier t extrudemod -- may not be needed/wanted

t.baseobject.renderable=true --set the shape to renderable
theCtrl = float_script() --create a float script controller
theCtrl.addNode "TheText" t --add a variable, connect to theText node

delayframes = 2 -- typist speed
theCtrl.SetExpression "TheText.text = substring myphrase 1 (F/delayframes as integer) as string\n0"

t.kerning.controller=theCtrl --assign the controller to the kerning

If you want more fancy features then ask the pro scripters...like the Doc on the maxscript forum. ie. how to make the text stays left aligned and also how to put a 'newline' character in your phrase...

I've done my bit....

Last edited by vusta : 05 May 2018 at 03:38 AM.

05 May 2018
i decided the typist needs some steroid...

by default, steroid is 1...but if you need to crank up tying speed....pump up the steroid...

(don't know why it's not respecting the left alignment there....)

As for multi lines/sentences...arrrhhhh...who needs the pros.....I'll do it meself

delete objects

myphrase = "Writer's block...hmm...\rHello\rHello...anyone there ?" -- use \r instead of \n for newline

t=text name: "ControlledText" wirecolor:yellow alignment:1 font: "Courier New Bold" size:10

steroid = 1
delayframes = 5 -- typist speed
theCtrl.SetExpression "TheText.text = substring myphrase 1 (steroid*F/delayframes as integer) as string\n0"

ok, so if you manually create a text object, type in some crap...hit the Italic button...works....hit the Underline button works.....but none of the alignment buttons would work......wow.......how long has this been going on ?

(TextPlus works as expected immediately)

Last edited by vusta : 05 May 2018 at 06:18 AM.

05 May 2018
here's a bit of a hack...it preloads your phrase with padding so that it reaches max width at the start...because only after you've reached the max width...the alignment would work (you can try out option 2,3,4 and see)

So then you can add a slice modifier and lop off the padding. (Padding can be gibberish...)

delete objects

padding = "123456789X123456789X123456789X\r"
myphrase = "Writer's block...hmm...\rHello\rHello...anyone there ?"

t=text name: "ControlledText" wirecolor:yellow alignment:1 font: "Courier New Bold" size:10

steroid = 3
delayframes = 5 -- typist speed
theCtrl.SetExpression "TheText.text = padding + substring myphrase 1 (steroid*F/delayframes as integer) as string\n0"

Last edited by vusta : 05 May 2018 at 09:01 AM.

reply share thread