Exporting rig and constraints

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Exporting rig and constraints

Hey all. So im having a few troubles trying to export rigs/animations as an FBX from Maya and was hoping someone would be able to help please.

So ive fully rigged a character with controllers, and constraints from these onto the bones. But quite simply when I export the FBX the controllers seem to lose their constraints.

I've tested this with a simple setup of a NURB controller with a parent constraint to a simple cube. Export the fbx and import into a new scene and/or unity and the constraint has detatched again.

I'm sure this method worked perfectly during my studies using Maya 2015, so is it a case of something changing in versions after this or?

Any help would be so much appreciated. I've checked all export settings, including ensuring constraints is selected but I just can't get anywhere.

Thanks!

02 February 2018
Hi
Have to use the include option in fbx export option.
http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAU...CE-CE49822A1350
Regards

02 February 2018
Thanks for the reply!

I've ensured constraints are selected in the export settings but still with no luck. Seemingly IK handles are also removed on export, along with the constraints.

I've screenshot my export settings below, any help will be much appreciated!

02 February 2018
Hi
The best way would be to bake the animation on to the skin joints and then export the skin joints, geometry along with skin information as .fbx
Regards,

02 February 2018
Hi, I think I will have to attempt that for this project, though i still need to be able to export the rig and skinned mesh for colleagues to also use and animate upon other projects later down the line so this won't entirely fix the issue. Any other ideas please?

Thanks!

reply share thread