benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

nHair per follicle overrides don't work

Hello,

is it possible that per follicle overrides for Maya 2014 don't work for nHair using nSolver? As soon as I turn on "Use Nucleus Solver" checkbox my overrides are not taken into account! Is there any additional step I'm missing to make this work, or this is a bug which awaits resolution?

Cheers,
Maciek

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

Anyone could help here? Duncan? This problem really caused problem in my hairsystem I've created as it is all based on nHair and nSolver. If I have to stick with classic hair sim without space scale, nConstraints and edge collision, few weeks of work will go to trash. Anyone knows a way to use per follicle attribute override on Maya nHair using nSolver?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

The per follicle dynamic override attributes (as opposed to shape attributes like clump width) are not supported currently for the nSolver.

A workaround can be to assign those follicles to a new hair system and override the attributes on the new hair system. (unlike the classic hair one can constrain as well as collide between different hair systems )

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

Thank you Duncan for your response. I'm afraid I'd rather not assign new hairsystem to each overridden curve as I have over 1500 guide curves driving hair rendering system which would slow down my sim drastically. Is this feature going to be available in the near future? It really is very important for a good hair sim to have overrides working and the classic hair system gives way too low control to control the hair sim look. Moreover I really find very useful space and time scale of nSolver in every simulation I make to get the right look, and being not able to set that just because I'm using overrides on the hair sim I make is a pain. Please have that in mind with next SP or SAP for Maya.

Best regards,
M.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
r4inm4ker
triangle noodle maker

portfolio
Jefri Haryono
Taipei, Taiwan

yeah, hopefully it would be updated soon, along with nCaching passive hairs functionality, since both are quite useful feature for efficient & controllable sims.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread