CGTalk > Techniques > Compositing and Editing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Amarnath Murugan
chennai, India
Unhappy 3ds max compositing help

Hello guys,
I have had this question for a long time and and dying to find how to do this effect

in the beginning of the video we can see the golden rings coming out of the table from a real footage , how to do that effect ??

In the above video , This effect is shown again , but how to make the model which covers the sword invisible along with the part of the sword behind it ????
Can someone explain me this effects or provide a tutorial for this please

Please forgive me for my bad english
Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Bryan Ray
VFX Generalist
Los Angeles, USA
I believe what you're asking about is matte objects: A piece of geometry that is not visible in the render but can still hide other pieces of geometry.

The renderer you're using should have a shader that performs this function. In V-Ray, you can assign the VRayMtlWrapper and check the "Matte surface" box. Play around with the Alpha contribution control to figure out what setting you need to get what you want in the alpha. For the effects you're looking at in those videos, you want this to be set to -1.0.

In Mental Ray, I think you need the Matte/Shadow/Reflection material. I'm not sure how to set it up, though, since I've never used MR in Max.

Likewise, I've never seriously used the default scanline renderer in Max, but there's a Matte/Shadow material there, too.

These shaders are also the ones you'd use to make an object that can catch a shadow or show a reflection without otherwise showing up in the render. For instance, you want your CG character to appear in a practical mirror in your footage, or you want the CG car to cast a shadow on the floor of the real garage.
Bryan Ray
Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread