portfolio
carlo
roma, Italy

UK: kingston university or kent ?

Hello

I'm going to attend one of these postgraduate:

-MSC Digital Visual Effects @Kent university
-MA 3D computer genereted imagery @kingston university

Anybody can tell me if the kingston course is good? I got an unconditional offer from them but I don't know if it is the best choice for me. If someone has a personal opinion about this course could be very useful for me...

I also got a conditional offer from kent, and the course looks good to me... anybody can confirm?

At the moment I'm a Maya generalist, and I'm still open to any specialization... the kingston course looks more about 3D set up... kent is more vfx...

(of course my first choice would be bournemouth, but I applied too late and I'm in the waiting list...)

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
moidphotos
Frequenter

portfolio
Martin Bowman
Lecturer
University of Hertfordshire
United Kingdom

The lecturer who runs the course at Kent used to work for ILM and Dreamworks if that's any help, and he's a nice chap However I haven't studied with him, I just know him professionally. I don't know anything about Kingston. An unconditional offer either means you are amazing (have they interviewed you or seen your portfolio?) or they want your money desperately.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
gangarone
portfolio
carlo
roma, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moidphotos
I don't know anything about Kingston. An unconditional offer either means you are amazing (have they interviewed you or seen your portfolio?) or they want your money desperately.

I sent an online portfolio... but I'm not sure they've seen it... at least according to the shinystat report...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
moidphotos
Frequenter

portfolio
Martin Bowman
Lecturer
United Kingdom

In that case do a long Google search to see if you can find the work of previous students and have a good look at it to see whether it impresses you. Also look to see if they now have CG jobs. Have you visited the campus to meet the staff and see the facilities?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
dancgfx
Student

portfolio
Daniel Samson Joseph
Grad. Student
East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, USA

gangarone : "(of course my first choice would be bournemouth, but I applied too late and I'm in the waiting list...)"
You meant that you've applied late for the winter program 2011?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
gangarone
portfolio
carlo
roma, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moidphotos
In that case do a long Google search to see if you can find the work of previous students and have a good look at it to see whether it impresses you. Also look to see if they now have CG jobs. Have you visited the campus to meet the staff and see the facilities?

I couldn't visit the campus and meet the staff... so I can rely just to what I found on the internet and to what they told me by phone... Of course I did a long search for previous student's works but I think this MA is pretty new and I didn't find anything from this postgraduate course (and what i found from their other similar course is not very impressive)... They seem to have good industry links... and projects in collaboration with them.

For sure kent is better... but is the only one that ask for an higher english test score that I don' t fully satisfy...

Actually I applied also (with full requirements) for the Animation MA in Portsmouth and Hertfordshire (this looks very good and I see that you are lecturer there) ... but I think I applied really too late... the decision is still pending.

@dancgfx I'm talking about this year:2010

Last edited by gangarone : 09-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
moidphotos
Frequenter

portfolio
Martin Bowman
Lecturer
United Kingdom

Hmmm that's odd. I have a list of all applicants for the MA (I teach on it as well as on the undergraduate programme) and I don't have any names that start with Carlo (assuming that's your real name ). I will send you a PM with some more contact info, if you reply to that I'll try to chase the admissions department up to find out what has happened because I've only had one applicant from Italy for this year.

We need IELTS 6.5 for English for a Masters, do Kent want more than that? 6.5 is better English than the average person in Britain :(

Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
gangarone
portfolio
carlo
roma, Italy

yes 6.5 is what I got and what is needed for kent's master... but they want also no less than 6 in writing... and i got 5.5 (I don't think this should be very important in a CG course )

Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
moidphotos
Frequenter

portfolio
Martin Bowman
Lecturer
United Kingdom

In a UK Masters there are a lot of essays and reports to write - a masters is not just about learning software (in fact very little of it is about software, if you want that you should be studying for a degree) masters students are supposed to already have good knowledge of software and now want to learn new ways of being imaginative, creative and more experimental with their work so that they don't just become someone who sits in a large company being told what to do - you should have the ambition to be someone who makes the creative decisions.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
gangarone
portfolio
carlo
roma, Italy

Thanks for the explanation about how works a master in UK, I didn't know it was so important to be good in writing, but actually that's a good news for me.
I didn't mean that my ambition is to be just skilled in using a software, I'd like much more to take care of the creative part.
Anyway my 5.5 is because of my slowness in writing an essay even in Italian... I remember that at school (I had classical studies: very written composition oriented) I was very good but very slow.
I got this score in the written part of the IELTS because I couldn't complete the whole assignment in time, not because I can't write in English.

Last edited by gangarone : 09-15-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread