Easiest way to learn Python?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Easiest way to learn Python?

What would be the best way to learn Python, and/or TCL? I've been learning Nuke, and am quickly finding I need a faster, less tedious means to achieve the desired result.

Example: I created a group with a load of knobs including sampled RGB values. I've used it multiple times and I realise I need to edit the group. The internal's are identical, just the sampled values are different (15 RGB knobs in each group). I'm editing manually but it's a ball ache.

Also I see Max has adopted Python? Would that mean if I learn one then it would transfer to the other.

10 October 2013
If you already have programming experience, than dive right in. If haven't programmed much I would suggest first learning about the python language itself.
With embedded languages you need to learn 2 things, 1 the language and 2 the way you have to use it inside the app.

So in Nuke you'd probably learnt the Nuke api and in max you'd have to learn the max api, transposing one to the other won't be seamless as every app decides for itself how you need to use the language. What does help is if you have generic classes for your pipeline, you can probably embed them in both Nuke and Max and any other app, that's where the real value is, generic reusable components for inside the pipeline and or doing generic repetitive tasks. Anything else is probably app specific.

So:
1. Learn Python syntax in general (many many tutorials out there!)
2. Learn each software's python implementation
3. Figure out how to generalize components and make them reusable
4. Put a big sticker on it that says "David's Pipeline Inside"
5. Feel a sense of accomplishment!

Hope it's of any help!

-Johan

10 October 2013
Check out this free class on coursera. The instructors are great.

https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

11 November 2013
sorry for the delayed response and thanks for the info guys. I found a good website that has tutorials. Interesting so far - but think this may take a while!

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread