T shapes in Mudbox

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
T shapes in Mudbox

Hey Everyone,

So my questions is regarding T shapes in Mudbox, or non manifold geo.

I try importing my mesh into Mudbox, and it comes up with the error finding T shapes, along with the faces they reside by number. I took the mesh back into maya, ran a cleanup, went through removed all floating verts, n sides, any discrepancy with the model. When I bring it back into Mudbox, I'm still getting the same error regarding T shapes.

Is there anyway to display or highlight the T shapes in Mudbox? Why is it that 1 program is finding errors, and the other isn't? Everywhere I've looked, the same response is given, to take the mesh into another software and clean it up. Well, I've done that, and still having issues with mudbox lol.

What now? Any script, plugin, tool? Help me eliminate the t shapes when Maya can't and mudbox won't show me!

06 June 2013
There is no way to automatically fix T shapes as far as I know. In Mudbox 2014 go to the display menu and make sure "Mesh Errors: is checked. They will be red. When you find it, fix it by taking it into Maya and extract the faces but make sure Separate is not checked.

06 June 2013
mudbox 2014 should highlight them... are you using the latest service pack..?

07 July 2013
T-shapes happen a lot for me when i import a mesh from Zbrush especially dynamesh. what I usually do is select those faces and delete them and then run patch. which patches the holes. Its very tedious but it gets the job done.

07 July 2013
Yeah i found Mudbox to be very fussy about the meshes made by dynamesh too.

07 July 2013
It is nothing really to do with Dynamesh in particular. It is just that Mudbox does not handle nonmanifold geometry. And because Dynamesh is not really designed as a method to create clean geometry. That is why it is such a powerful sculpting tool. You don't want to worry about the geo at that stage. Just don't use it to export for Mubdbox. (though I do use it in Maya for retopo) Remeshing it to clean quads first in Zbrush is probably a better workflow for Mubdbox.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread