What's the best way to make thick, packed fur?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
hairTK and shave&haircut gets my vote...

but to be honest, for this kind of dense fur where you won't really need dynamics, Maya Fur is ok too.

10 October 2012
i use puppet shader and follow this tutorial
http://kiryha.blogspot.com/2010/06/...mental-ray.html
but after the spot light ,p_hairTK_shadow and p_spotTk assign it gets little rough

this one is maya rendering

this one is mental ray and the p_hairTK

and this one is after lighting and p_hairtk shader and p_spotTk

i don't know what's the problem here.

10 October 2012
You could always use the nurbs patches approach as well, that way you are not so limited to your UVs.

10 October 2012
I think you really need to groom your fur better so that it curves with gravity and correctly follows the contours of the underlying geometry. That's really one of the big reasons to use SaaH but you can use the standard maya tools as well. Correctly groomed fur will tuft out at the right places and doesn't curve back on itself like yours does around the edges of the ears, eyes and along the cheek bone.

I think you want to find some good reference of real animals to look at if you want to achieve a cartoon look because it's important to understand how the fur flows over the body.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

10 October 2012
could somebody tell me why my texture map in p_hairtk diffuse tip and diffuse root gets hair bad.

i set the filter type off and it still same.

10 October 2012
yep... it's because you must activate "fix shave uv" in the p_hairTK shader! It's down in the extra attributes if I remember correct

10 October 2012
i searched in couple of forums and some of the answers was this just like you say moz (thanks)
but the problem is i only gets lights in extra attributes
and i recently downloaded puppet shader (so there is no chance to download again for update)

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread