ds
human jigsaw

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Damian Snelgrove
BallisticMedia
Adelaide, Australia

Lagoa Multiphysics :: Technology Focus

The Inventor of the Lagoa Multiphysics Technology demonstrates his new solver ahead of the Autodesk announcement that the technology will be part of Softimage 2011.5.

Click the image to find out more.

Last edited by PaulHellard : 10-14-2010 at 04:30 AM.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
TyroneMaddams
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Tyrone Maddams
Art Director / Lead Character Artist
Plastic Wax
Sydney, Australia

Send a message via MSN to TyroneMaddams

There is so much potential application of this, i'm excited just reading about it

- Ty

Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
MikeRhone
Mind taker

portfolio
Mike Rhone
21st level Ninja
United Kingdom

Great article! I am glad to see some major steps forward in cloth/fluids in the last year or so. That looks like some of the the most impressive commercially availble sims I've seen yet. I'm so glad to see Thiago didn't keep this proprietary!

Dust Rig - tutorial for Maya

Tonga the Fox - Free cartoony rig for Maya!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
ximage
War Time
Daniel Sweeney
Freelance 3D modeller/Generalist
Leeds, United Kingdom

Congratz to Thiago.

its good to see this is getting some love on CG talk guys!!

looking forward to having a play with this.

Sweeney

Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
jezsmith
portfolio
Jez Smith
vfxArtist.co.uk
London, United Kingdom

nice to see this made it here.
the first effect in the video is very interesting.

looking forward to seeing more

Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
ViCoX
Coffee.

portfolio
Juhani Karlsson
VFX Artist
Unity Technologies
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to ViCoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskandari

How does that relate to anything, really? : ) Theres finished work section you know..

Last edited by SheepFactory : 09-15-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Katachi
Boss at Navié

portfolio
Samir Kharchi
FX Artist & Software Dev
Navié
Magdeburg, Germany

Itīs an inspiring implementation that Thiago has there. I think he did a great job.

But it would be interesting to know simulation times for real world complexity scenes or simulation times at all. The teaser shows interactive rates but this only shows some hundreds or a few thousands of particles at max. For some things this may be appropriate but in vfx production you really never use a hundred particles only so itīs not telling me very much actually.

The implementation seems very cool, but it would be nice to know how millions of particles work or interact and what the performance says in such a case. Otherwise nice article. I enjoyed reading it.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Insofar everybody who used it/tested it agrees that it's one of the fastest and most scalable solutions around for SPH style work.
It's seen production use in a couple places well before it even made it into Softimage's beta (predators in hybrid etc.)

Free Maya Nodes

Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Katachi
Boss at Navié

portfolio
Samir Kharchi
FX Artist & Software Dev
Navié
Magdeburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Insofar everybody who used it/tested it agrees that it's one of the fastest and most scalable solutions around for SPH style work.
It's seen production use in a couple places well before it even made it into Softimage's beta (predators in hybrid etc.)

thx first of all for answering. I do not doubt its scalability or production capability (I also read the article and others before ), also I donīt want to make any point about if thatīs good or bad (if things can be done with it, then the simulation times are secondary but they are not unimportant of course), but "fastest, best, greatest, longest, slowest"...these are all subjective and still not tell me anything Iīm afraid. They just reflect the users opinion (which is fine and surely a good indicator donīt get me wrong). I simply have a more technical interest.

Fastest compared to what? I am really talking about explicit times. That is something that has not been talked about at all. The teaser is around for quite some time, the technology...well, if you are into the sph topic you knew before what the work was mostly based on. My interest lies therefore in the implementation and this would first of all be the performance times.

How long do for example 10 million particles take to simulate 100 frames including some static obstacles?

The article is revisited, so maybe they include some statistical facts. At least that would be great and I think if it is as fast as people say (and as itīs a particle-spring-sph model it should have a fast "base speed") itīd be a pusher. On the contrary, if nothing is said about it at all, it makes me wonder why.

Last edited by Katachi : 09-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Stellios
cg junkie

portfolio
Michael poretti
Generalist
Pixomondo
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer
thx first of all for answering. I do not doubt its scalability or production capability (I also read the article and others before ), also I donīt want to make any point about if thatīs good or bad (if things can be done with it, then the simulation times are secondary but they are not unimportant of course), but "fastest, best, greatest, longest, slowest"...these are all subjective and still not tell me anything Iīm afraid. They just reflect the users opinion (which is fine and surely a good indicator donīt get me wrong). I simply have a more technical interest.

Fastest compared to what? I am really talking about explicit times. That is something that has not been talked about at all. The teaser is around for quite some time, the technology...well, if you are into the sph topic you knew before what the work was mostly based on. My interest lies therefore in the implementation and this would first of all be the performance times.

How long do for example 10 million particles take to simulate 100 frames including some static obstacles?

The article is revisited, so maybe they include some statistical facts. At least that would be great and I think if it is as fast as people say (and as itīs a particle-spring-sph model it should have a fast "base speed") itīd be a pusher. On the contrary, if nothing is said about it at all, it makes me wonder why.

It is all very exciting. But I agree, either there are benchmarks or its heresay.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
MCook
Veteran
portfolio
Matthew Cook
Reading, USA

Shame, story still not up again?

Really wanted to read it.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Aeonsfall
Above the Clouds
portfolio
Onur Samli
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via MSN to Aeonsfall
when is it going to online again?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

No benchmarks mind you.
But you can get some sense of user interaction with these feature preview movies and they were recorded 'live'. Look for the Lagoa stuff.
http://www.the-area.com/blogs/marks...11_5_with_lagoa

And just to turn the tables-are there performance benchmarks listed for DPit yet?

Last edited by circusboy : 09-20-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
KidderD
Expert
James
Calgary, Canada

There kind of is benchmarks for Dpit, and they are impressive.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

"impressive" isn't a link.
I looked on the site-I haven't found anything yet...

Thread Closed share thread