Vehicle: Damaged Spaceship

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2003   #1
Vehicle: Damaged Spaceship

Hello world!

I've been visiting the Cinema4D forum for quite some time now, but this is my first post in this forum.

I am working on a short animated sci-fi movie (just a hobby project) and am currently in the process of finishing up my models, I'll be able to start animating and rendering pretty soon. However, I've been a little bit stuck with this spaceship for some time now, so I decided to dare asking your opinions and ideas regarding it.

I am having some trouble deciding on stuff (greebles or whatever they are called) for the internals of the ship where the rear section has been shot off. So, any ideas are very welcome!

Of course, any other comments and critique is appreciated as well!

Here first is a closeup of the section I am working on. Needs a lot of cleaning up, thickening of some of the struts and more cabling, not to mention texture work.

Pate

Old 06 June 2003   #2
Here is an overview of the damaged ship. It is supposed to look like the rear section has been shot/torn off. Am I anywhere near that goal?

Pate

Old 06 June 2003   #3
Here is a picture of an undamaged (besides minor debris scratches) ship, for reference.

Thanks for reading this far, I hope I didn't bore you to death with such a clichey (is that a word?) scifi project!

Pate

Old 06 June 2003   #4
Thats some really awesome detail and lighting.

Old 06 June 2003   #5
Quote: Originally posted by cyberjunkie
Thats some really awesome detail and lighting.

Thanks for the compliments! Though I'm not sure what you mean by awesome lighting, it consists of a single hard shadow spotlight.

I am still working on the rear section, will post an update when I have made some noticeable changes.

I'll need to add some more battle damage as well, not sure yet how to approach that. We shall see..

Pate

Old 06 June 2003   #6
well, i hate to spoil it for you, although this is a nice job, there are some things terribly wrong. The spaceship's design is.. just not nice, and what's the point with this image? What is it trying to depict? The damaged spaceship doesn't really look damaged at all, just yet being build. All enviromental elements are missing and any clue that something has damaged the spaceship is also missing.

Old 06 June 2003   #7
Quote: Originally posted by diazgl
well, i hate to spoil it for you, although this is a nice job, there are some things terribly wrong. The spaceship's design is.. just not nice, and what's the point with this image? What is it trying to depict? The damaged spaceship doesn't really look damaged at all, just yet being build. All enviromental elements are missing and any clue that something has damaged the spaceship is also missing.

Thanks for the reply!

The spaceship is an old atmospheric-capable cargo shuttle that has later been militarized (the docking ring and weapons pods added, along with reinforced hull plating). I tried to make the design reflect this, a mixture of sleek aerodynamic main body with some space-only modifications. If you can pinpoint some specific problems you have with the design, please let me know. Though, I think the design looking "nice" is a rather subjective matter.

The point of this image is just to showcase the model. As it will be used in an animation, I am not concerned about putting it into a scene yet.

Perhaps it looks still being built because the current damage is not extensive or random enough? I am attempting to fix this problem next. I'll hope to have an updated image in a few days.

Thanks for the criticism!

Pate

Old 07 July 2003   #8
it would help you scetch in a piece of paper the orientation of the hit, how would it affect your structure and what was the projectile... was it an energy beam(aka starwars)? was it apiece of concrete? was it a missile (3 possibilties here, missile exploded on surface, after piercing the haul, or in proximity)

Old 07 July 2003   #9
Perhaps something on the material of the spaceship? I mean, it looks kinda fake at the moment. It would help to download some reference photos if you havent already...

Also, those booleans on the front are kinda spoiling it for you. I think your design is close to the NASA space bus.

Also you are right on the hard lighting, but add another source or use the 3-light rule to light up the shadpws, they are too dark at the moment.

Also, your solar power cells (I assume they are) are kinda off. They are not reflective and are missing specularity.

Notice the materials and shadows on the link I give you.Spaceman

Old 07 July 2003   #10
@sumatra: Thanks for the tip! I hadn't actually thought much about the kind of weapon that has caused the damage. I only have an idea about how the rear section was torn of (the upper fuel tank ruptured/exploded first, which then caused the other two tanks to explode as well).

@diazgl:
Yes, the materials are still quite unfinished. I am rather fond of the general aluminium feel, but I need to add a lot of wear and tear. I have some reference photos, the problem is I don't much like the look of the space ship material in any of them.

The design looking like a NASA vehicle is not a bad thing in my opinion. It is supposed to be an alternate universe ship, with a technology level very close to our current level. So, this is not a futuristic ship. The Reaction Control System works much like in a space shuttle, besides the addition of the extra jets in the weapons pods.

I have a scene with a proper lighting waiting for the finished ship, so I haven't spent any time working on lighting the plain model.

Yeah, the solar cells are somewhat of a problem. I downloaded a lot of reference photos, and noticed that solar cells are actually not blue. They look like black glass unless they are reflecting blue sky. Since there is no blue sky in space the panels should be black, but then they did not look at all like solar panels! I'll work on them again at some point.

I started working on some damage textures. I'm not very happy with the result, but I think the hull looks better than without the textures, at least.

Still a lot of work to do..

Pate

Old 07 July 2003   #11
Space ship damage

It seems the damage is almost only at the hull plating, i'd suggest if a tank blew up or something, you could put some broken pipes where the tank was connected, also it looks a bit to 'clean' at the back.

also some bend out plating would be nice (if the damage was done by an explosion, with an imposion it would look a bit different of course)

you could also leave out some (broken) hull plates to make it look older and more used.

but overall it looks great,
one question though, how does it fly through the atmosphere? you got some anti grav fields underneath or something?

Old 07 July 2003   #12
Re: Space ship damage

Quote: Originally posted by SpooX

you could also leave out some (broken) hull plates to make it look older and more used.

but overall it looks great,
one question though, how does it fly through the atmosphere? you got some anti grav fields underneath or something?

Yeah, some missing or replaced hull plating might give an interesting look, I'll try that.

I think when the ship was atmosphere-capable it had a delta wing and a vetical stabilizer for atmospheric flight. Those were removed when the ship was converted to space-only military use.

Here is an updated image again, I did some more texture work on the rear. I think it is starting to look like an explosion damage.

Next I plan to work on the rest of the hull plating.

Thanks for all your comments, I am finally seeing some progress with this ship!

Pate

Old 07 July 2003   #13
yeah, you're on a good track, keep it coming!!!

Old 07 July 2003   #14
Hi again!

Here is a small update. I have been trying various laser scorch marks and other damage, but haven't yet found anything that would have looked good in my opinion. Need to do some more testing..

Anyways, I added a dent on the side of the ship and did some other minor tweaks and additions.

Pate

Old 07 July 2003   #15
that is a very nice model! ok, maybe just add some mode debris behind where its damaged, making it more spread out perhaps? How did you do the plate armour?

[There's too much blood in my caffeine system]
[HP][DA]

Thread Closed share thread