Character: Honeybee

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2003
Character: Honeybee

Not really a character; just a render of a honeybee model I made a while ago.

05 May 2003
Hey this is pretty good, I wonder why no one has posted?

Is the brownish stain on the ground plane from the lighting? It looks good but its really weird shaped, I just can't figure out what its from.

Did you use 3dsmax and shag? I think the one thing that you seem to be missing that would really contribute to the realism of the picture is changing the shape of the head, make the eyes bigger and closer together! othere than that, maybe just a different camera angle

05 May 2003
If you make the shadows softer, that might add more life to the bee. As it is, the harsh shadow identify every single hair in the model and I don't think that would be the case in real life.
Other than that I think your model is very cool and well done.
But then again, that's me.

05 May 2003
Thanks for the replies, guys! The browish area to the left is a result of my funky light setup. I basically have a ton of low brilliance bluish point lights surrounding it (like a dome) with a brighter yellowish light on the left.

The shape of the head, including the size and placement of the eyes are roughly correct for a (worker) honeybee.

I'll post a different view of it soon.

05 May 2003
Another view showing the head better:

05 May 2003
Nice!
what software you use?

05 May 2003
I think it would look better with more variation in the colour and length of the fur.. Right now it looks like its using some kind of standard setting

Contribute to the CGWiki!

Any views expressed are my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer.

05 May 2003
Psycholink: Thanks. I used Strata for these images.

Carina: I like the hair/fur as it is right now except for the middle of the two front legs. It stands straight out too much; it should be angled down some. The length and density of the fur does vary on the different body parts, but not as much within a body part. The overall fur color can vary from bee to bee, but is roughly the same color on any individual bee.

05 May 2003
I stand corrected!

I'm not a bee person.. I'd prefer never to see a real bee up this close

Contribute to the CGWiki!

Any views expressed are my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer.

05 May 2003
Heh, heh, I'm not really a bee person either, but I did gather some references when I made this. I'm sure a bee afficionado would have a field day pointing out inaccuracies, though

05 May 2003
VERY nice work, and creative renders. Great job.
My only qualm: The hairs. Vary their length, thickness and direction and you will have created a truly beautiful piece. Hats off to an excellent effort.

Hollan Holmes
http://www.hollanholmes.com

05 May 2003
Appreciate the critique, Hollan. You have some very good professional looking stuff on your website. I see you work as a texturing artist. Perhaps you can give me some tips on my human skull model (link in my sig)

I guess you and Carina will have me tweaking that bee fur some more

05 May 2003
I commented on your skull model in its respective thread. Excellent work.

You have a bright future, I think.

Hollan Holmes
http://www.hollanholmes.com

07 July 2003
i like this. What do you plan to do with it?

07 July 2003
Thanks, Scott.

I don't really have any plans for it at the moment, but, hey, you never know when you'll need a honey bee. Right?

share thread