keeping an eye on SLA

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2003
Talking keeping an eye on SLA

evenin all, I was playing around with shaders earlier today to get a decent looking cartoony eye for use with any characters I might make, I was going for something that looked pretty cool without having to model anything, anyway.. thought I'd share them, they're available for download at the link below if you want them

eye shaders version 8.2 c4d file ( the bump mapping went strange with the update so this is a new 8.2 file)

Last edited by squidinc : 09 September 2003 at 11:05 PM.

04 April 2003
Ultra... Hypercool, thanks

04 April 2003
this shader is wonderful. thanks a lot squidinc!

04 April 2003
Argh... the eyes are so good that it hurts,
Squidinc, it took me days to figure out how to get proper cartoon eyes done in cinema, I never knew it could be done easier, I used image maps and 2 pieces of geometry for mine. Thanks for sharing.

04 April 2003
Hey squid thanks, its funny, I've been harassing Pal Everett into making a shader jsut for eyes based of the Pixar ones, and here you have done it for SLA, needs some tweaking still, but man what a beautiful job, I"m going to play with them and seee what I can do. I have some nice highres pxar images to match them up to if you want.

There was actually a very long thread about making procedural pixar like eyes, and I don't think any were as succesful as this. Brilliant work

04 April 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiskai
Hey squid thanks, its funny, I've been harassing Pal Everett into making a shader jsut for eyes based of the Pixar ones, and here you have done it for SLA, needs some tweaking still, but man what a beautiful job, I"m going to play with them and seee what I can do. I have some nice highres pxar images to match them up to if you want.

There was actually a very long thread about making procedural pixar like eyes, and I don't think any were as succesful as this. Brilliant work

cheers kaiskai , post those images if you've got the webspace, unless they're REALLY big

if you make any cool changes post a link to the updated c4d file
I was thinking of trying to get all the shaders to work in a sla fusion channel, using masks etc, that could get messy though if you wanted to change colours or pupil dilation

04 April 2003
yeah agreed. Man this shader with a shader tree would be awesome, you could control the pupil dilation with the brightness of the environment and such.

I'll make sure to post anything.

hmmm I think this is a prime example of why we should have a shader thread I think. I will set one up later today. Just have to get some of my own shaders organised.

04 April 2003
FYI, Darktree has some very good eye shader presets that can be controled with sliders. Unfortunately it's only the PC and it seems like it's not getting along at all well with R8.1.

04 April 2003
yeah the only reason I goit darktree was for the eye, but man darktree is not sitting well with C4d's stomach, so I scrapped it

04 April 2003

04 April 2003
darktree is why I attempted this in the first place, I used the eye shader on one of my characters, I had to reinstall c4d and plugins not long ago, and for some reason I lost all the settings I'd changed for the eye colour, dilation , so I figured I'd make my own, cos I aint setting up dark tree shaders from scratch every time I re-install c4d

04 April 2003
Squid,

Thanks! Very nice of you!

Portfolio

mischief. mayhem. soap.

04 April 2003
Hey squid thanx a lot for this one! Maybe i'll take out the two bottles of cold beer and you just come over and tell me more of these real cool things on SLA

www.deinehelden.de

sketchblog

www.prayorpanic.com

04 April 2003
Thanks, Squid - most impressive!

04 April 2003
Thanks Squidinc, these are lovely. Is it cool to use them in commercial work?

Thread Closed share thread