good chrome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2003
good chrome

been trying to make a good realistic chrome, messed with sla etc... any suggestions?

04 April 2003
Couple of places I started was the SLA presets and messing about - in the material manager choose load materials and then navigate to them (should be in the installed folder I think). Also there is some good chrome on deepshade ( http://www.maxon-computer.com/deepshade ).

Thats where I started - turn things on and off to see what they add to it.

It is quite important to have something reflected in materials like chrome or they appear black - put something n the environment channel.
www.trickstargames.com

04 April 2003
My settings:

color: white 50%
reflection: white 70%
specular (metal): width 56%, height 200%, falloff -14%, inner width 23%.

To get a more realistic material you might use blurry reflections and/or add a very subtle SLA noise as bump.

04 April 2003
Example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keuken15.jpg (6.5 KB, 1620 views)

04 April 2003
I just turn off color and turn on reflection and metal specular it wotks for me and it requires very little tweaking.

but handiges settings have are quite good looking so I would have to say there isnt one good answer.

04 April 2003
The trick to chrome is that you need to have a lower diffusion.

Reflective objects have less colour of their own, as what you are seeing is actually a reflection of the colours around them.
The more reflective an object, the lower its diffusion.

I'm not sure if C4D has a seperate diffuse channel (apart from colour, that is), but you can implement this effect by altering the colour to darker shades of grey instead.

A safe method is to simply even out the values - if for instance, your object is 30% reflective, then you should set your diffuse to 70%, or your colour to 70% grey.
Likewise, if your reflection amount is 75%, then your diffuse amount would be only 25%, or your colour would be only 25% grey.

This gives a sharper, deeper reflection, and also prevents that milkiness that results from setting your colour to white when making chrome.

Don't forget to make small imperfections here and there though - perfect looking chrome always looks really CG.

04 April 2003
wow thank you all for the excelent tips, i came kinda close with a few on my own but it just seemd to lack something.
thnx again I'm off to chrome my entire model library now...

04 April 2003
Good tips from Leigh. This points to the hundred percent rule. That is, diffuse, reflection and transparency together should never total more that 100. For example, if reflection is 90%, then transparency shouldn't be more than 10%, and vis versa. The other key to achieving realistic transparency and reflection is the use of fresnel. Fresnel is the phenomena of things becoming more reflective as the angle of incidence increases. It is essential to make good use of fresnel when rendering metal and water.

04 April 2003
Quote: Originally posted by MJV
This points to the hundred percent rule. That is, diffuse, reflection and transparency together should never total more that 100. For example, if reflection is 90%

Good tip MV--I never heard that before!

04 April 2003
ahh yeah fresnel, i do remember that helping a lot

04 April 2003
Quote: Originally posted by AdamT
Good tip MV--I never heard that before!

That is the theory anyway. Remember that in Cinema, transparency cancels out reflection, it does the work for you, unless you activate the Additive checkbox. Thus, for water, you can place an inverted fresnel in the transparency channel and turn on reflection to 100%. Reflection will only appear where the material isn't transparent. In such a case reflection and transparency will always add up to 100%, with the relative strength of each being dependent on the angle of incidence, so there is no need to use a second fresnel in the reflection channel. If you did check the Additive checkbox in transparency, then you would have to use a second fresnel in Reflection that is the inverse of the transparency fresnel in order to adhere to the 100% rule.

06 June 2004
guyz i know it may sound dumb to some of u...but im a beginner. how do i open .sit files ? i got C4D 8.5

06 June 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Bl4ck_Eagl3
guyz i know it may sound dumb to some of u...but im a beginner. how do i open .sit files ? i got C4D 8.5

if your talking about the ones from Deepshade - there shoud be 2 links next to the material - one is the material itself - and the other is a link to the expander which will open the sit files

06 June 2004
http://3dfluff.com/mash/pics/weights.jpg

Reflection 90%
color: 10% grey
Bump: SLA dents, default settings
specular: plastic, full height, 10% width

The most vital ingredient is the surroundings, whether its geometry or an image. HDRI is your friend.

1,000th post, yay.

06 June 2004
Quote: Originally posted by imashination
http://3dfluff.com/mash/pics/weights.jpg

Reflection 90%
color: 10% grey
Bump: SLA dents, default settings
specular: plastic, full height, 10% width

The most vital ingredient is the surroundings, whether its geometry or an image. HDRI is your friend.

1,000th post, yay.

That's pretty close to what I use, but I tend to change it up a little every time.

A thousand posts? Rookie!

Thread Closed share thread