My car ... in Wings ;)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
Talking My car ... in Wings ;)

Hi!

This is the first time I really post SOMETHING!

I've been trying Wings for a few days now and so I thought I could get a try at modeling something from start to finish, with ref pics and all that stuff

And the chosen one was my car, a Lancia Y.

This is my first try so, its still a wip, and I thought I should do it as a low poly model for now, before I get more easy with wings, and because I wanted to try the UV Mapping features.

So this is the result. I know the model can be improved, the textures suck, because I just cut and pasted them from a low res pic into the texture pic just to see how it would be and also to see if I was able to do that.

I hope you like it.

Best regards.

Last edited by JPGargoyle : 04 April 2003 at 01:05 PM.

03 March 2003
Great start. I think it's ready for detail and higher res textures for a 3Delight render.

Care to share how you approached the UV mapping in Wings?

Sean.

03 March 2003
Quote: Originally posted by somlor
Great start. I think it's ready for detail and higher res textures for a 3Delight render.

Thanks a lot Sean.
I think you are right. My next step is to refine the mesh, and add in the detail needed to create all the geometry of the car so it can be all defined just by its geometry without the need of textures (like rear view mirrors and stuff).
My final goal is to export it to PovRay.

Quote: Originally posted by somlor
Care to share how you approached the UV mapping in Wings?

Sean.

Sure. I'm making some screen captures to show the way I did it.

Will be ready in no time and then I will post them here.

Best regards.

03 March 2003
if you want to just do a smooth on it to bring the res up bebore you start cutting in the details you can try this
tighten -50% then smooth
this basicly makes the mesh behave a little more like nurbs as the points will stay roughly where they are so the mesh wont shrink

cheers

03 March 2003
UV-Mapping 4 somlor

Ok somlor:

Here is how I did it (more or less )

Edited:
---------------
Forgot to mention that I used version 0.98.08d
---------------

First I selected the object (1) I wanted to UV Map (in this case the car body) and right clicked to get to the menu and chose the UV Mapping option (2), entering the UV Mapping mode disappearing all other objects from view (the wheels) (3)

Then I started selecting groups of faces and assigning them "groups" (4) - (7) until I had all my car with its faces assigned (8).

To me the tricky part is this one, because the way we select the groups will affect the way how the projection of the faces will be, and how easy or hard it will be to create the textures.

I chose this grouping based on the fact that I was going to "cut and paste" parts of a photograph into the texture, so all my groups are almost planar from the beginning.

Once all the faces are assigned its time to unfold the mesh.
Right click to get menu, choose continue (8) and then projection (9).
The result from the projection can be seen in (10).

Then I selected each of the groups (11) to arrange them in a way that would be more friendly to me, so I rotated (12) - (13) them, move and scale to achieve the result seen in (14).
Once everything was as I liked it I exported it to a file (15). In this case its a .tga, the only format available for wings to export it.

Then I opened the .tga file in PhotoShop along with a pic I was going to use to make the texture (16) and composed them togueder (17) resulting in my texture to UV Map (18).

To finish, in wings UV Mapping mode I Imported the file (19), and that was it! My car was UV-Mapped

I did the same for the wheeels but I used the texture I already had created for the body (I putted there the map for the wheels as you can see).

I hope this is of some help to you.
If there is something that I explained wrongly or that has mistakes please feel free fo ask and give suggestions.

Best regards.

Last edited by JPGargoyle : 03 March 2003 at 11:02 PM.

03 March 2003
Wow, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain that so thoroughly. Really cool!

Looking forward to updates.

Sean.

03 March 2003
I agree, great job depicting this procedure... thanx a bunch for your work here...

03 March 2003
thank you:)

Thank you very much!

It was a pleasure.

I had a great time doing it and learned a lot too.

Its good to be me "teaching" something for a change

Best regards.

03 March 2003
Great Post/Tutorial JPGargoyle!!

I'm a Blenderhead and even the fact that we have UV mapping in Blender since only God knows when (loooong time ago) I can tell you that it is perhaps the most unused feature because many people just don't know how to start or even what it is for.

Your tutorial is an enlightening work man. This thread is been referenced even from elysiun (unofficial Blender's HQ) itself !!!

04 April 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Apollux
Your tutorial is an enlightening work man.

This thread is been referenced even from elysiun (unofficial Blender's HQ) itself !!!

WOW! That is great! and thank you for your kind words
I'm honored and happy that my little tut is usefull.

Quote: Originally posted by Apollux
I'm a Blenderhead and even the fact that we have UV mapping in Blender since only God knows when (loooong time ago) I can tell you that it is perhaps the most unused feature because many people just don't know how to start or even what it is for.

Too bad I'm not a Blender user. This tut is Wings specific, but I think the theory behind is "app independant"
Anyway, I will make a detailed tut soon, when I get my website running.

Thanks!

Best regards.

04 April 2003
Quote: Originally posted by JPGargoyle
This tut is Wings specific, but I think the theory behind is "app independant"

Yeap, UV mapping in Blender isn't as straight forward as in Wings (speaking from the tutorial, I'm not a Wings user). But WHAT you do is exactly the same, the only different is the HOW. If you take out the screen-shots (that are great, by the way) and change some names here and there you would have a Blender tutorial.

Anyways, your tut puts very clear the workflow in a easy to follow sequence. Again, Great Work!

04 April 2003
Ok, so after reading this post, I tried this for myself. I UV mapped a simple sphere for an eyeball texture I drew. I got everything to work except for one thing: After importing he image into wings, The poly's of the uv map were on top of the image and for some reason the applied texture looks just like the poly's with no colors from the image I imported. What did I do wrong?

04 April 2003
Hi MukMan!

Smething similar happens to me sometimes.

I don't know if it is a bug or if there is something we do that we shouldn't (or something we don't that we should )

Try this:

Before importing the file, go to the import menu and click on white.
It will clean the texture to white, and the you can import the file you created.

I think this is because, in order to create the file that is exported with the poligons draw on it, the texture we see in Wings is what is going to be applied to the object, so if it has a mesh drawn on it, that will be mapped to the object.

Bu sometimes things behave differently.

I am trying different approaches to it to see if i can figure out what really happens and if it is me that am doing something wrong or if there is somethings that mus be tweaked (remember UV Mapping in wings is still experimental)

I hope this could help.

Best regards.

04 April 2003
wings saves the image files in the wings directory and possibly in the wings file itself

04 April 2003
sorry to go off topic, but JPGargoyle, are you aware of your avatar's meaning?

share thread