Another skull wip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
Object: Human skull (Wings 3d)

Seeing Zeroneuro's awesome skull posted yesterday made me want to post one I'm working on in Wings. The 2 things I know I need to tweak right now:
1. The zygomatic arch projects laterally too much (and it needs to be raised a little higher)
2. The front part of the maxilla (upper jaw) projects forward a little too much.

I'm not sure whether or not I'll bother with the little foramen (holes) for the cranial nerves at the base of the skull or not.

Last edited by betelgeuse : 03 March 2003 at 08:46 PM.

03 March 2003
cool start so far ... the one thing that does seem odd to me is the main head area ( the cranium where the brain is ) seems a little too large .. not sure ... you modeled this from a reference pic? cuse im sure the cranium is out of proportion .. other then that .. looks good

03 March 2003
Looks really good. I don't know, the cranium area seems okay to me. What I think will really bring this thing to life is a nice, bump map map with a weathered looking texture, and going into one side of it and making it less symetrical.

. . . ~ Visit my world ~ . . .

03 March 2003
actually maybe the problem with the cranium is that as of now .. with no textures or anything its just one solid bone .. where as a real cranium .. is several bones fusing together ... i agree would be nice to see a yelowish weatherd texture with darker brownish in the cranium cracks .. :P but definatly you need to add the cranium lines :P

03 March 2003
Minor update

Thanks for the comments. No, I realize there are many suture joints connecting the various bones of the skull. I'm not ready for texturing yet. I still need to make the mandible and teeth. When I'm satisfied with the model, I'll go on to textures.
Started to work on some teeth and realized I forgot the anatomical landmarks indicated:

03 March 2003
fake suture joints

I painted some suture joints on a rendering just to roughly see what it would look like with a bump texture.

03 March 2003
Mandible

Starting to rough out the mandible:

03 March 2003
cranial cavity was too big

It turns out that alcovitch was right. The cranial cavity was a little over-inflated and has now been reduced.
I'm holding off on the jaw for a few other tweaks, like raising the foramen magnum a bit (the hole where the spinal cord exits).

04 April 2003
Minor update with some not so obvious tweaks except perhaps for the projecting turbinates (nasal concha) inside the nose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turb.jpg (19.5 KB, 1237 views)

04 April 2003
looks really nice now put it in some cool scene with cool lighting

L Pass Manager, (Pass Manager for 3ds Max)

04 April 2003
Looking good, that's really tight modelling

Would be cool to model those cracks though It somehow looks cooler without the bottom jaw, for some reason

What renderer are you using? It's really smooth.

04 April 2003
Thanks. I do want to finish the mandible before texturing and I still haven't decided about adding more detail to the base of the skull.

Leigh, are the cracks you mention the suture joints? Whoa, that would be insane to model!
I use Strata to render. It's raytracer is fairly fast and I use a dome of point lights set-up (a lot of them) sometimes to achieve a fake GI effect. It can do a real GI rendering with radiosity, but I don't have the patience for how slow radiosity is.

04 April 2003
Another update

Little more work on the mandible. Basically I just need to add the alveoli (teeth holes) and teeth. I also added the optic foramen proper - the oval hole at the back of the orbit. The longer openings are called the orbital fissure - other nerves and vessels come through them.
Then on to texturing (after the mandible is done).

Thread Closed share thread