Earth 3d Texture

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
Earth 3d Texture

Hi Guys.
The stuff is, i´m trying to do an image of planet earth with a chunk taken off. And i want eart to have its normal surface (an image in the color channel of the texture) and the interior to be a series as colored layers. How do i achieve this? I guess i have to use a 3d shader....
Anyone can help me?
Check http://www.clorofila.ipp.pt/sabao/ for a picture of what i´m trying to say.

Thanks.

03 March 2003
Make polygon restriction tags for the interior and use a radial gradient on the inside.

03 March 2003
I would think you would only need to make a bitmap to represent the interior of the earth. If you wanted to animate the earth being cut in half, then yes you will probably need a 3d shader. Have you looked at the SLA gradient? I am not sure if it is 3D, but it will be a good start to get the colours you want. From your picture I think the easiest method would be to make two selections for two bitmaps that will sit on the two interior walls of the earth.

www.slowlymakingsmoke.com

03 March 2003
Not sure what your level of expertise is, so forgive me if theres too much hand holding:

First of all heres a GREAT resource for Earth maps:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

Second, You might want to convert your Earth chunks model to make it editable (to a mesh).

Select all the polys that make up the interior surface of the Earth. You can select one poly then use mdme_sadies great free plugin "flush select" to quicly select all the polys on the shared flat surface.

Once all polys are selected, go under the "selection menu" and save selection. You know have a selection tag next to your model in the object manager. Name the tag "interior"

Create a new material and, in the color channel, click the triangle to the right of the teture image field and go to bhodinut channels, then to bhodinut gradient.

Create a circular 2d gradient to your liking.

Apply this to your model. You will need to tweak its projection to fit the area you need it to.

On the texture tag in the object manager (next to your object), click and look for the "selection" field. type the name of the tag (interior) into the field and the texture is now only applied to the interior. You may find that it works better to make too selections of your inner globe--left half and right half. Then you can map each half of the identical gradient using the flat mapping feature and you wont have any distortion.

Your earth surface texture needs to be layered beneath the "inside/core" texture (in the OM, the earth surface map is on the left, with the core map to the right of it) or the surface map will obscure it.

Hope that gets you started.

03 March 2003
Looks like we all swooped at the same time!

03 March 2003
You can place 2 different shaders on the same surface using selection tags (look it up in the book - index). The outer should be an image map - aka texture map. The inner surface should be made with a shader.

A quick seach in the texture forum yields your best solution for the outer part: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Earth

The inner portion of the planet can be created quickly with a "shader". Create a New Material, open it up and in the color channel click on the little arrow to the right of the image text box and from the pop-up menu select bhodiNUT Channel > bhodiNUT Gradiant. Using the gradiant you can add more colors to create the layers of the inner planet quickly.

Good luck! Please show us the results too!

Portfolio

mischief. mayhem. soap.

03 March 2003
Thanks in advance for all the help. I´m starting right now working on the sugestions.

Will soon post some results

JoelD: I´m already using those BlueMarble texture maps. They are fabulous.

03 March 2003
Have fun!

Looks like a few of us (above) drank our coffee this morning!

03 March 2003
Just working on my second cup. Another approach would be to apply the gradient texture to a second object and boolean subtract that object from the earth shape. That'll automatically apply the gradient to the cutout faces and it could be animated as well.

03 March 2003
When I posted my solution here this morning. No other posts existed. Now . . when I came back to check the progress . . . holy cow. After reading through this all . . . I concluded that we're all synchronized. We are connected! We're brothers! lol :insane:

Adam, got $50.00 I can borrow?

Portfolio

mischief. mayhem. soap.

03 March 2003
You guys are really great help. This is what i got so far http://www.clorofila.ipp.pt/sabao/ using JoelD indications. It worked just fine. I know it doesnt look so good now but i will do a animation, the Earth being chunked out

One final question, wich kind of projection sould the Material of the interior have? (in the image im using flat)

Thanks a lot everybody.

03 March 2003
Quote: Originally posted by medula
When I posted my solution here this morning. No other posts existed. Now . . when I came back to check the progress . . . holy cow. After reading through this all . . . I concluded that we're all synchronized. We are connected! We're brothers! lol :insane:

Adam, got $50.00 I can borrow?

We're not even awake--just dreaming each others' dreams.

$50? Nah, but here's an .avi of the boolean method for your troubles.

03 March 2003
Oh yeah, when doing the above .avi I discovered that you can animate the translation of a material's UV coords--pretty sweet! That's how I got the gradient to stay in place even though it was painted on the animated cube.

03 March 2003
Cool Adam.

I have a hunch that he's most likely gonna have to show the chunk being removed from the globe, actually detatching. I had to do this kind of thing a few times before--but for illustration--not animation.

OK--I need to ski-daddle and get some work done. Damned forums!

03 March 2003
This is how i got it. And yeah JoelD, i want the hunk coming out...
Check it here http://www.clorofila.ipp.pt/sabao/TerraGomo.avi

LC

Thread Closed share thread