shader needed - steel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
shader needed - steel

Hi,
I absolutelly need a looking real steel shader.
I need that one used in the kitchen........you know, that one with blurred reflaction and a bit of antistophy........

I'm making some experiments but I'm missing something important......and the shader I'm making sucks!! Maybe it's just the enviroments, but I'm also rendering in hdri env and nothing good happens...........

thank's in advance
claudio

p.s.: The exact name of the shader I need is called "Acciaio Satinato" in italian

02 February 2003
I will share with you later my results..........I'm rendering 7 diff test in a scene............

02 February 2003
All you need is lumas in luminance channel (anisotrophy checkbox activated, planar scratch projection) and a slight bhodinut fresnel fx in the reflection channel, nothing more. Make sure you're using one or more light in the scene, with the single GI you won't see the speculars

02 February 2003
I will give a try using your hint third_, now I'm quite satisfied with sla danel because it give me control over the reflection convultion, I can easily control(100 try every time) the blur of the reflection according to the antistophy and it seems this do the job......

02 February 2003
The BhodiNut Lumas 2D shader does exactly the same work of BhodiNut Danel but it still gives you the possibility to use all the other 2D channels of a normal material. This is a case where a good nodebased rendetree would be really useful

02 February 2003
yes, I notice .... but the first result with your hint doesn't achive the danel result, maybe I've to try more........but you gave me really a good Hint(it seem also faster, but I don't have the beautiful blur I have with danel)!!!

in v8 the expresso is not a nodebased rendertree?

Now I'm using v7

thank's again third_

02 February 2003
No, it's not a nodebased rendetree YET

02 February 2003
mmmmmmmhhhhhh.......I've seen something over the maxon site that let me think it was.........but......I trust you!!!

02 February 2003
You can use materials with Xpresso, but i doens't have any possibility to function like a nodebased rendertree yet, i think they'll add something similar soon or late... we will see

02 February 2003
this is the tut I've seen push me in the wrong direction of thought

http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutori...ialID=225&site=

02 February 2003
do you think for this kind of steel it's usefull to increase the reflection depth or something like that in the render settings??

02 February 2003

it seems for the knob the shrink wrap works better

02 February 2003
if I blur the reflection of the standard shader, it slow down the time of render(same as danel) but the result is better

02 February 2003
In DANEL use a shrinkwrap projection in the anistrophy channel. Rotate the 3D texture projection so the Y-Axis is parallel with the door knob ( the y-axis points toward the end of the knob ). Next, go into roughness and use Fbm with two octaves. Turn on Hard evaluation. Run the scale up so it is about ten three to five times larger than what you would normally consider viable. Play with the color in the roughness grit to add some more wear. Tweak to your heart's content. Ahhh, the joy of nodes in texturing ( ok, I am teasing, and I like it!!! )

darf

02 February 2003
thank's darf, I'm still experimenting but I like more weavy turbolence than FBM.........

I hit the point, I own this kind of steel now.
You all helped me alot!!

Thread Closed share thread