Still: Humpback whales

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Still: Humpback whales

Something I did for a recent Wings3d Challenge: "Under the Sea":

More recent image below

Last edited by betelgeuse : 09 September 2005 at 06:49 PM. Reason: more recent image below

02 February 2003
I remember seeing this at the Wings site, very nice models betelgeuse. I was noticing that the bump texture seems a little prominent in some areas, and there is no sheen to the skin. I would add some more specular and gloss values, they just don't seem "wet" enough. That may also help lessen the bump look around the underneathe of the fluke. Love the water caustics!

sin

Oh Oh, and you know what else may be cool?!!? well maybe, add a school of small fish in the background and then add some DOF, that may bring them out even more from one another...?

02 February 2003
Wetter whales

Thanks for the comments, Leif. No school of fish (yet), but here's a version with darker, shinier whales.

02 February 2003
hey... nice pics!!...
i think you made the specular a little too high in the last render, something inbetween the 2 renderings woul, in my opinion, look nice...

nice modelling job!!

02 February 2003
WOW SOOO much better Mike!!!! That really is an improvement, I think it looks much more "underwatery"

I think the school of fish could really help to, and they don't have to be detailed at all, if you decide to add them. I really, really like this update!!!!

02 February 2003
lookin good though the ocean is not that clear...is there a way to render noise effect? if you know what i mean....

02 February 2003
Another try

Thanks. Well let's try one more variation:

02 February 2003
I really like that betel, and liked it at the wings site too. That last one is really cool.

This is your age-old friend Scott

Quick question now that I think about it:

How are you getting those cool caustic ripples? I've never really thought too much about it, but now I'm just kind of wondering.

02 February 2003
Caustics

Hey Scott, thanks for responding even though you saw the first one already. Heh, a lot of the comments I get are from fellow Wingers. I'd like to see some more stuff from you here!

As far as the caustics go, I used 2 different but similar ways. The one at the top uses a material texture that has a caustic map channel. It just has a ripple texture map in it.
The other way used in the bottom image is to use the same texture map as a light gel.
The entire scene is contained within a sphere that has a volumetric fog applied. This is for the hazy look.

Regards,
Mike

02 February 2003
I forgot to mention that the material texture that uses the caustic map is applied to a plane above the whales so that light shining through it casts the caustic ripples.

02 February 2003
Which is preferable, #2 or #3? and why?

02 February 2003
I like the last render, but it looks like it could use some texture definition on the eyes, and possibly a bit more AA, especially around the mouth.

The render just looks more realistic. More contrast than the first, less than the second. The shading is much more natural across the side of the top whale.

I might tweak the falloff on the light with the gel (or light shining through the plane, whichever), so that the caustics on the lower whales aren't as strong as the top.

I could always be completely wrong. That's a firm possibility =)

02 February 2003
Well if it isn't our fearless StrataCafe leader! I thought you hung out here, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try. I was starting to wonder about my thread - it's gotten quite a few page views, but few responses. I'm also working on a fish model to go with the whales; just something a little more brightly colored to break up all the blue.

02 February 2003
Shh. Don't out me =) I was hoping to go incognito. Oh, wait, how did my name get into my sig?

Personally, I haven't managed to muster the balls to post something in the WIP/Gallery sections here. Some day.

Great image, BTW. It feels a bit like they're in a tank, though, with light bouncing off the bottom. A bit of falloff on the top light and a gradation to a much darker blue/black would help. As well as some floating bits in the water; plankton and such. I'm not sure about tropical fish, as whales wouldn't be swimming around coral or shallow water where others tend to hang out. Maybe some type of symbiont fish?

03 March 2003
The third pic is great. Just need to add the secondary focus - maybe a dark cloud reminicent of fish?

It's great tthough.

share thread