What is Bad Demo Reel Etiquette?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003

In know this is an oldie but a goodie.
What are the clichés, taboos and pitfalls that should be avoided when preparing a killer reel?

This is a question especially for those who have endured thousands of hours of BAADDD reels.

I see this question as their chance to blow off some steam.

-Roberto
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2003
Matrix Soundtrack

02 February 2003
1. Using someone elses work - seen it happen lots.
2. Going on too long... only the best work, no fodder.
3. Sell your strengths. eg: If you're a great modeller don't feel
obliged to animate your model if it lets it down, camera pans and turnarounds are fine.
4. Make sure it's accessable to the client - think about what format you present it on.

02 February 2003
god yeah. No bullet time.

02 February 2003
Dancing robots

02 February 2003
Keep it short and highlight only your best stuff. Basically the reviewer will get the gist of your capabilities in the first minute.

Definitely no dancing babies! Especially robot babies

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

02 February 2003
Lens Flares<- oldy but a baddy

Well known tutorials especally ones that come with the software

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by gmask
Dancing robots

Oh shoot!!!

~Zach

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Babyhopper
Oh shoot!!!

~Zach

Yeah sorry... Actually I had one on my reel at some point but I haven't used it in 5 or 6 years ;-)

In general sending a character reel when the position is generalist or not character specific will get you no where. If your reel has more than one robot on it and the call for reels mentions nothing about robots then you may have one too many robots on your reel. Wheras I have seen posts where robots are actually specified.

If you have a wide range of work.. it can be beneficial to show that range but keep it short. I have a ten minute reel but I only ever give this out when I can sit with the potential client and talk them through it. Otherwise cut it down to the juicy bits.

02 February 2003

Last edited by Remi : 07 July 2004 at 09:47 PM.

02 February 2003
No Tanks or Spaceships either.
- www.EdHarriss.com

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Remi
1) No mechs...overdone
2) No lens flares...makes people hit eject faster than you know...makes your reel look cheap.
3) No space scenes...overdone...
4) Not too long....2 mins is probably enough...unless of course it's a really good story.
5) Nudity....unless you're trying to work for Hustler...
6) Comedy....unless it's truely funny...(not just to you and some stoner friend)
7)Try not to use premade models...or models that get used alot or were in movies....that just turns people off....unless of course it's the best damn animation in the world...
8) Lack of originality.....don't copy or even do a run-off of someone elses.....makes you look uncreative..

My 0.02

LOL.. maybe we should start a thread called what can you put on a reel.

Do studios ever want to see a wide range of stuff or is it pretty much that you need to determine how you would fit into the pipeline and only send a specific modelling, rendering, animation etc reel.

02 February 2003
Technical glitches, buzzing, pixelating textures. If your bad at texturing, better off not texturing at all rather than trying(especially if your going for a modeling or animation job). Just use flat shaded objects. You end up drawing attention to something that your not even applying for and the whole reel suffers because of it even though your animation or modeling may be very good.

If your not good at it, better off not doing it at all.

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by beaker
Technical glitches

Do you mean in the renderings? I hate VHS but it is pretty much the standard.. I have to admit that I have dubbed a few reels were the audio level were incredibly loud..ooops...fortunately I was there to lunge for the volume knob when I realised it was going to blow the speakers ;-) Therefore it is allways a good idea to preview your dubs on a seperate VCR from the one you recorded it on.

02 February 2003
Red face rule, smules, blah, blah

I read all these rules of what not to do and what to do that have been regenerated from Animation Magazine articles from the 90s. I say, if you specialize in space ships, then do it. If you specialize in barely clothed chicks, then do it (Not like anyone is going to reject Stahlberg because his pieces have partially clothed women; point is; he's really good at what he does)
The only rule is, make it look as good as the work the place your applying to. For instance, if you want to work at ILM, then your work better be ILM quality. Theres no training, you already have to be good. Space ships, robots, and some of the other don'ts are frequented in feature films and games over and over again, so why not show a relatable subject matter that is similar to the company your applying to. Its not your fault if someone has watched 300 reels in a day; good work is good work, and a talented person will recognize skill no matter what the subject matter. Besides, you'll hit a brick wall of luck if your dumping your reel into a Siggraph garbage bag (unless you have Star Wars on your reel, then again, who needs a reel with a credit list, thats reality).

Just my two cents > animation is art and it shouldn't be bound by rules. Besides, if your working on what you want to do, your passion for the subject matter will show and reflect the quality of work.

Thread Closed share thread