LW tips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2002
Arranging guides for suslite ...

Arranging guides for suslite ...

Then i worked on my demon i stacked with this problem - arranging guides and wet look...
So i found this solution:
1. Make your guides (i used two sets, one - guides from points of the mesh, second guides from splines)
2. Make low poly copy of your mesh object without face details but offset from original size.
3. Use MD for hair guides, using low poly copy as collision object.
Here this steps (u can see the low poly proxy body in black wire frame).

Original post

Last edited by Eugeny : 06 June 2003 at 08:15 AM.

10 October 2002
How to make light saber ...

How to make light saber ...

1. Make two point polygon in modeler.
2. Give him white texture with 100% luminosity.
3. Load object in Layout , and change Polygon / Line Thickness (in Object properties) 3 pixels.
4. Add Corona Image filter and make:
Input Channel - Luminance.
Impute Threshold 100 %,
Effect normal,
Falloff - Center Bias,
Strength - 100%,
Size - 50.
5. Enable "Texture Only" and hit "Edit Texture".
6. In the Texture Editor make Layer type - Procedural Texture , Procedural Type - Value.
7. Change texture color for Value procedural to something pink - magenta (i found 237 146 245 is good enough )
8. Add low AA with 0.1 Adaptive Sampling ON.
9. Close the texture window and hit F9 ...

Some notes :
U can turn ON Contribute to Alpha option in Corona parameters - good for compositing.
I used additional Glow (see pic) but it can be replaced with another Corona (with smaller size ~ 16 pixels )
If u have another objects with high Luminosity - use Threshold Mask - Special Buffer for Corona
( see next tip about using special buffer)

Original post

Last edited by Eugeny : 06 June 2003 at 08:16 AM.

10 October 2002
Special buffer - what is this ?

Special buffer - what is this ?

Special Buffer button can be found in Surface Editor -> Advance tub.
The slots of special buffer is for image filters slotted under Image process -> Add image Filter. Here is the example:
I used special buffer 1 - 100% and first image filter was corona with impute channel - Specular shading and Threshold Mask - Special buffer
special buffer 2 - 60% and second image filter is Full Precision Blur with Use Mask option - Special Surface (i don't know why this option called Special Surface instead Special Buffer).
U can see the difference on attached picture - the upper image use Special buffer for second filter and lower not.
I found that only few filters can use the Special buffer - Corona, FP Blur, Photoshop PSD Export, Soften reflection - funny but it's only four! Now i understand why Special Buffer have only 4 slots ...

Original post

Last edited by Eugeny : 06 June 2003 at 08:17 AM.

10 October 2002
How to make bone (or planet ) texture using procedural ...

How to make bone (or planet ) texture using procedural ...

I used Turbulence but i think this technique will work with ALL procedural.
First layer is Turbulence with minus value and 100% contrast - minus for getting the flat effect and 100% contrast for lower spikes (just play with it to see what i talking about) and this layer is inverted to get "holes" - not "mountains"
Second layer is almost the same but this time with Alpha blend and opposed (not inverted), also i get 99% to contrast this give some nice little spikes in holes areas (u can get 100% to completely remove this effect).
After that i changed the texture value for first layer to something bigger (-600%) to increase the overall bump effect.

Original

Last edited by Eugeny : 06 June 2003 at 08:19 AM.

10 October 2002
WOA EUGENY!!!!!

i learned more with these 2 pages right now in 10 minutes than in several days testing and playing around!!!

great contribution,

thx!!!

10 October 2002
Thanx dies-irae
I have additional 3 tips, i'll post them later.

10 October 2002
DOF

How to animate (or work interactive with ) DOF ...

1. Make Null and change his name to DOF, then go to Preferences panel ("o") and uncheck "Parent in Place" - if u had this option is ON.
2. Go to schematic view and make DOF null child of camera (simple select DOF and ctrl + click on camera ). The DOF null will jump to camera.
3. Select DOF null and open graph editor. Here go to Expressions tub and hit " New " . Change Name to something like DOF and clear the Value channel.
4. U mast see all channels of DOF null ( if u followed correctly step 3 ) if u don't see select DOF null and hit Shift + g in graph editor ( or simple close Graph Editor , select DOF and open Graph Editor). Now select (in Graph editor) DOF Z channel ( DOF. Position.Z) and hit right mouse button. From drop down menu select " Append to Expression ". U will see this [DOF. Position.Z] in the Value channel of expression .
5. Open Camera properties window and select Antialiasing - Medium (unfortunately this is the minimum needed for Depth of Field). Go to Stereo and DOF tub and turn ON " Depth of Field " button .
6. Hit " E " button near the Focal Distance field. U will find your self in Graphic editor with Camera FocalDistance in Channel bin. Go to Expressions tub ( u will see the DOF expression if not go Expressions tub near the Channels tub and select DOF expression) and hit " Apply " button . U will see a little dot appear near the Camera FocalDistance in the Channel bin , also dotted line appear in graph window - this mean that Camera FocalDistance controlled by expression.
7. Now move DOF null along Z axis to object that mast be in focus (better to lock X and Y motions for DOF null and move him from top view, bdw here from top view u will see the the gray dashed circle growing with DOF null moment - this is the Depth of Field Camera range )

see continue on next post ...

Last edited by Eugeny : 06 June 2003 at 08:21 AM.

10 October 2002
DOF continue ...

DOF continue ...

8. Change the lens F - Stop from default 4 to 1 an hit F9.
9. Change the lens F - Stop to 0.1 and render , as u see the DOF effect is too big so the smaller F-Stop the bigger DOF effect.
10. Here is the result of Extreme antialiasing and 0.75 F - Stop .
hope this tip will help for anyone ...

Last edited by Eugeny : 06 June 2003 at 08:23 AM.

10 October 2002
Hot dog a frog!
Eugeny, these are book worthy.
This is the >>ONLY<< place I've seen the special buffers explained. That includes all of the lw books available. (I shall wait with baited breath for someone to correct me on this)

I guess this being the site of professionals is truly the case.

Thanks so much, Eugeny!

Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

10 October 2002
Thanx Robert Nice to see that this stuff useful for someone.
As for special buffers - i learned this stuff from LW manual (page 976 of LW7manual.pdf)

10 October 2002
I read that, too. And am reading it now...
And without an example, I have to admit to being clueless on the glib that's there. As well, they make no correlation as to what plugs will work with it. One could waste hours trying all of the plugs out there.

You very clearly state the limits. Your little piece should be included in the manual. Heck, at least on the Tute site.

Thanks, nonetheless.

Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

10 October 2002
Quote: One could waste hours trying all of the plugs out there.

I am the one ...
As for tutorials i'll send all this stuff to Proton as soon as possible ...

10 October 2002
You rock!

10 October 2002
And again, I thank you for it. chuckle

Ahh, enough of this. Give us another.

10 October 2002
Hey,
Just noticed they have me pegged as a VETERAN. How'd that happen?

Red-faced (not! hehe) and giddy over being labelled an old guy, err... veteran.

Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

Thread Closed share thread