Still: Electron Micrograph dust mite

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2004
Still: Electron Micrograph dust mite

Was reworking a dust mite model to get it to look more like it was viewed through a scanning electron microscope. Geometry modeled in Wings3D; rendered in Strata; some post-processing in photoshop:

01 January 2004
SWEEEEEEEET!!!!! I love it. Its very well rendered. But, I don't know. To me, it seems there should be shadows around the feet. Are there shadows on a microscopic scale. Never thought of that before. Still, its not interacting with the ground at all. I think it should. And the ground, or skin i guess (lol) needs a sharper texture. Sides that, GREAT!!

01 January 2004
Thanks, DirtySkillet.
I went ahead and added some shadowing below the mite, although AFAIK there are no cast shadows in electron microscopy. It's also a little less contrasty.

Last edited by betelgeuse : 01 January 2004 at 04:35 PM.

01 January 2004
Very cool! Looks great except for the ground skin. The skin sort of looks low-texture quality so it gives it away. Maybe make the skin flakey and stuff?

Other than that... cool!

01 January 2004
haha that's mad
can't belive u did it with strata
strata is one of the worst 3d progs i've used haha

01 January 2004
wouldn't you see more eyes in this size detail?

most bugs have larger eyes at this size enlargement, i thinks

did you intend the palm tree trunk affect on the hairs?

01 January 2004
I like microscope work

01 January 2004
really spot on piece of work, love the feel of it and the modelling

01 January 2004
SJames: Thanks, I may put some more modeling detail work into the skin surface like flaking cells, etc.

naga: I think what a program can do depends on who is using it. If I hadn't mentioned the software used, you'd never know the difference.

the deej: I don't believe dust mites have eyes. Here's a link to an image of a real dust mite.

Shoom and endo: I appreciate the comment.

01 January 2004
the first one has a much better background i feel, the second one seems to just go grey for no reason. i prefer the first one totally over the second, but of course it needs that shadow. try the first composition with a shadow, maybe with a higher resoltuion floor and show us please. i feel it would give a much better feeling.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread