L'Italienne, Herve LEBLAN (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
L'Italienne, Herve LEBLAN (2D)

Title: L'Italienne
Name: Herve LEBLAN
Software: Photoshop

Painting for the novel ‘L’alchimiste des Ombres’ (The Alchemist in the Shadows) from the Pierre Pevel's trilogy. Here is the italian female character and her wyvern in an renaissance style.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
I love the idea of taking a subject like this and making in 'renaissance style'. Excellent. Your brush work and choice of colors is also perfect! I love it!

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Definitely very Renaissance style, love the classic style and brush work on these, even the varnish on top of it all! I can see this framed in a nice elegant wall/room. What was your inspiration for the Wyverns? (reminds me of the LOTR Fellbeasts and GoT's Dragons). Either way, love the designs on them and the light falling on your subjects. Plugged!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Thank you guys.
Concerning the wyvern, I was looking for a shape of head very simple, peakless nor hornless. Doing so, it comes as you can see, a kind of similar with the one of LOTR. Of course, I noticed this resemblance, but I wasn’t really inspired by it, although it is now part in our collective culture. Actually, a couple of lizards did the job.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Really nice!

How did you do the cracked paint effect?

Old 09 September 2013   #6
The cracked paint effect secret... Well, I matured the picture a couple of century Before showing it...
More seriously, I used photos of real cracked paints (alpha masked). Of course, I had to rebuild them all over the picture.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Wink

Very interesting. When I saw the little dragons I thought they were fire lizards from the Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series. Not a bad wyvern actually (I like how you did the wings and managed to convincingly bend then to act like stabilizing arms). I also like the head and neck design of the wyvern (kind of simplistic, but it works, and with just enough detail on the head and face to give it some character). I like the dress, although it feels a bit more Victorian than Renaissance (just a feeling; I've been seeing a lot of steampunk designs and just reminded me of that a bit). Bit I like the outfit and how you're holding up that corner of the dress (I think that's a sexy look for ladies in that style of clothing). A little murky with the details on the background (especially with the trees and such around the castle), but it works well enough to fit the overall design and atmosphere of the piece and doesn't really de-track from the characters. Overall, this came out really well (I love dragons), so keep it for your portfolio. Keep it up. Great job.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
linainverse23, thank you for your commentary, I appreciate.
As you were mentioning Anne McCaffrey, and your love for the dragons, I can definitely recommend the novels for which this illustration was made (tome II). It’s a fantasy trilogy called ‘The Cardinal’s Blades’, a kind of 'The Three Muketeers' mixed up with dragon. A good reading!

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Very nicely done, both the overall feel and the details all seem to work well.

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Hah that's pretty nifty.

Would it be possible to look at a higher rez version ?

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Very Nice. It would be cool to see a larger image.

Old 09 September 2013   #12
Smile

Thank you guys.
See you around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HerveLEBLAN_L-Italienne_detail.jpg (87.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Ashaxan : 09 September 2013 at 09:45 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread