Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Vikram Mulligan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Alien hand texture map finished

I've finished sculpting and texturing the alien hand, now. The original texture and displacement maps are 4096x4096. The displacement map is a 32-bit TIFF. I'll post a rendering of the finished hand soon, once I set up the subsurface scattering material in Softimage XSI.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Alien hand -- done

Here's the finished alien hand, rendered with the contest version of XSI. I might still add some fur...
Eon animation and still.

04 April 2008
Hey Vikram really interesting to follow your thread I really like your alien Hand and the study you did .

Ze Blog

Steampunk
Uplift Universe
Strange Behavior

04 April 2008
Thanks, Eric. I've taken some photos of my hand now for modelling and texturing reference -- I'll post some new work today or tomorrow.
Eon animation and still.

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Reference photos -- my hand

I've taken some reference photos of my hand. I'll base my hand model on these, and I might lift some textures from them as well -- though I'll have to paint out the hairs, since I plan to do those with Maya paint effect geometry.

(Thanks to my good friend Patrick Goodale for helping with the photography. It would have taken me a lot longer if I had to be both in front of and behind the camera.)
Eon animation and still.

04 April 2008
softimage hair help.

Hello Vikram,

If you select the hair than press enter, you'll get the hair property page. In the property page you should see a set of hair presets. They have a curly hair preset that you should be able to tweek until you get what you want. If you boost your render hairs on the hair panel to about 75%, it will show how it will look before you render. Hope that helps. Looks great by the way!
Brad

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by sasquatch70: If you select the hair than press enter, you'll get the hair property page. In the property page you should see a set of hair presets. They have a curly hair preset that you should be able to tweek until you get what you want. If you boost your render hairs on the hair panel to about 75%, it will show how it will look before you render. Hope that helps. Looks great by the way!

Thanks, Brad. I did play around with the frizz and kink settings, but I couldn't really get a curly hair look (i.e. something in which each hair is a nice arc or spiral). I did get something that looks like sheep's wool, though. Maybe I need to play around some more, but Maya's paint effects give me more control, so I think I'll use them for the curly hair on the human hand. I've used them before for this purpose (see this link). I'll export those as geometry and import them into Softimage XSI. I think I'll have longer, straighter hairs on the alien hand, which I will do with XSI's hair controls (which will also allow me to groom the hair).
Eon animation and still.

Last edited by vmulligan : 04 April 2008 at 07:35 PM.

05 May 2008
Work In Progress: Alien fur

I'm playing with the alien fur, now. It's still not quite the way I want it, but it's getting there.
Eon animation and still.

05 May 2008
thats some really cool detailing dude! very curious about your next update!
good luck to you!

05 May 2008
Originally Posted by nwiz25: thats some really cool detailing dude! very curious about your next update!
good luck to you!

Thanks a lot, Neville. All the best! (And nice CGPortfolio gallery, by the way).
Eon animation and still.

05 May 2008
Work In Progress: The human hand -- modelling done, and texturing partway finished

I've not posted in a while, but I'm certainly not out of the contest! Here's the finished human hand model, with the textures partway done. I'm lifting textures from the photos I took of my hand.
Eon animation and still.

05 May 2008
Work In Progress: Human hand -- textures done

I've finished the textures on the hand, now.
Eon animation and still.

05 May 2008
Work In Progress: Modelling and posing -- done!

I've finished all the modelling and posing, now. I tried to get the human hand into the right pose in ZBrush, but ended up tweaking it a bit with Softimage XSI. The alien hand was posed in Softimage, but only with bend modifiers and lattice deforms (I couldn't be bothered to rig it with a full skeleton). The hair isn't right, right now. It's too mossy.
Eon animation and still.

05 May 2008
Final Image: Uplift

Here's my final entry for the Uplift Universe CGSociety contest. While not necessarily depicting any specific event from David Brin's novel, I think the image is consistent with the spirit of the book. With the placement of the two hands, I tried to create a sense that the human being was helping to raise up the alien. I also wanted to depict an optimistic vision of human-alien interactions. While the alien hand is, well, alien, it is not hideous or monstrous, and there is no implication of malevolence.

Technical information: I used Apophysis 2.07 for the background, Wings3D for initial modelling, ZBrush 3.1 for sculpting and texturing, Maya 7.0 for the hairs on the human hand, Softimage XSI 6.5 for final image composition, mental ray for rendering, and Adobe Photoshop CS for compositing and retouching. As it turned out, the combination of hair, subsurface scattering shaders, ray-traced area lights, and 32-bit displacement maps was too much for the renderer. I ended up having to use shadow mapping for the lights and bump maps instead of displacement maps. Next time, I'll go back to trusty old Aqsis :) .
Eon animation and still.

05 May 2008
I've uploaded a somewhat higher-resolution version to my deviantART page, now.
Eon animation and still.

Thread Closed share thread