DGS color mapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2004   #1
DGS color mapping

Hi there, I have read through most of the tutorials on the DGS shader and to no avail. Is there a way to map a texture in the color channel. I am trying to achieve a floor like the one on Jozvex's website . The tutorial there is good but it produces a single color floor. Am I missing something simple?

Old 05 May 2004   #2
OK...nobody knows or is my question stupid? Let me ask in another way. How can you have a plane with a mapped color channel (like a repeating tiled texture) have the DGS blurred reflections? Anytime i add this node it overrides all other connections.

Old 05 May 2004   #3
Hey,
PM jozzy, that fool could answer your question probably really easily... basically your saying you want colored blurr reflections on your floor?

I'd assume thats easily acheived, maybe check out some of the blurry reflection shaders floating around on the net while you wait for jozzy to help you out!

Old 05 May 2004   #4
Well, yes and no. I want a floor in one of my environments to have blurred reflections. It just so happens that I have a maya blinn on it right now with the color,bump,spec, and diffuse mapped with a textures I painted in PS. As soon as I put the DGS on it too, well, everything messes up. I believe I did e-mail a few people here about this. grrr

Old 05 May 2004   #5
ChrisJ, I am assuming you are using 4.5 or 5. In Maya 6 in the shader attributes there is a tab for mental ray options that allows you to blur the reflections.

Using the DGS, you cannot just add blurred reflections to a maya shader, it just doesn't work that way. You have two options if you want to do it.

Option 1: download this shader node (zip file) from highend 3d.

Option 2: Add a DGS shader to the mental ray material shader in the shader node.

This will OVERRIDE your maya shader. Then, in the DGS shader options, you see three channels. Glossy, Diffuse and specular.

On any of these channels you can assign any shading node, including a file texture node, such as the one that you created in photoshop.

Now, just in case you wondered, there is no easy way to add a bump to a DGS.

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread