Jose Villafranca - Sketchbook

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2018
Hmm, Im thinking about a 7 o r 8 on stylization scale. a game that i think is an 8 would be gears of war 4 although this is a titanfall character i think i would like her to look more like this. im also looking forward to adding material variety and working on clothes in marvelous. i really want this one to be a full quality character

04 April 2018
So this week i couldn't make as much progress as i would've wanted to on my character although i already started working on her jacket in marvelous and feel its looking pretty good so far! ill post an update on her later.
The main reason i didn't work on her that much is because i was invited by a local college to talk about my work during design week This is something id normally say no to, buut im trying to say yes more to this kinds of things. ill mostly talk about the basics of content creation for games, and i worked on a quick character bust to demo my workflow.

This is the guy im working on

04 April 2018
Pure sexiness!

04 April 2018
Finally finished baking on my demo project, now im off to substance! after that ill return to my Titanfall character

Wireframe

Last edited by JoseVillafranca : 04 April 2018 at 07:41 AM.

04 April 2018
Looking Awesome Jose! You've really grown a lot Lately man!

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by JeffHH: Looking Awesome Jose! You've really grown a lot Lately man!
Thanks Jeff! I have a lot of free time lately so ive been spending more time on personal projects

05 May 2018
Update:

Its till a WIP. i still have to play around with the glossiness and the paint. Also wanted to try more skin colors.

05 May 2018
Cool! I'm liking your titanfall work!
The ape could use some color variations in his skin? But as you said, it's a wip

05 May 2018
Thanks for your advice Miguel! i tried to add some more color variation, and also made different colored variations

Now i can finally continue on my Titanfall character!

06 June 2018
My progress so far. i sitll have to work some things on the pants like more folds and adding pockets and stuff. still have a ton of work to do Let me know what you think.

06 June 2018
build her out with more classical femine details to start you can make her look tougher later but right now make sure her shoulders are narower than her hips, get rid of the definition in the neck. Its a habbit of a lot of modelers to model in the anatomy or structure but remember for every muscle group that flex's contracts the counter expands so you wont see the tricep and the bicep fully flexed stuff like that. Womens power is in their legs so take that into consideration. it might make it more interesting to give her powerful legs but weaker arms. take a look at hurdelers. The way I always propose and art direct to my modelers is to give their character one super power, whatever that feature is something else has to fall back. This will make your character have human quality not manaquin.

Your costume work so far is Kliller doing great there kneed pad backs look awesome. im not sure about the cuffs and bootom of the jacket but your following a concept so no sense spending time criting there. Belts handle a ton of stress and movement so give it history and weight to reflect that. not so sure about the shoulder pads as well as they appear to not really have support but again following a concept.

this is really good though keep it up and post your updates

06 June 2018
Thanks for the feedback Travis! ive been struggling for a bit with it since its my first time doing a female Character so i really needed some help. i do feel it looking a bit like a mannequin ill try to fix that.Ill try and post my updates more often.

07 July 2018
Update! I followed Travis advice and followed added a few more things. also i made a gun for her based on another concept art.
Let me know what you think

07 July 2018
Hey Jose, This character is coming along really nicely, your detailing and attention to detail are so well done.

Only thing I could think of to improve would be in the syfy gun.

I'm taking most of this design advice from Alex's video on SyFy design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkYnoaSB5xw

You've been pretty good with your bolt positions on your pistol so far, only thing I could say would be mindful of why a bolt would be somewhere. And even if you don't have a reason for every bolt, I would say mainly just avoid having a bolt in every corner of a Panel.
Next advice I would give on Tangents. I just suggest you watch Alex talk about it, but here's the highlights.

Tangents - 26:20
*A tangent is when 4 lines intersect in one point.
*Limit your tangent connections to 3 lines intersecting. "
*Avoid breaking your panels on ever edge.
*Offsetting your panel cuts and edges can help reduce the amount of tangents your model will have.

Keep up the good work, this model is looking crazy good, can't wait to see where you take it

07 July 2018
Thanks for the awesome feedback Martin. And for the great video definitely helped me,☺️

reply share thread