CGSociety /IAMAG Challenge FAQ - Rules and Guidelines / end October 30st at midnight

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2017
CGSociety /IAMAG Challenge FAQ - Rules and Guidelines / end October 30st at midnight

This is your opportunity to win a VIP Pass including the flight, hotel and all accommodations for IAMAG Master Classes 18 (From March 16th to March 18th 2018). This yearly snapshot showcases what the best artists have to offer, whether they’re animators, concept artists, VFX / FX artists, directors, all during 3 days in Paris, the city of art that never sleeps.

Theme
For this challenge, you’ll be asked to imagine during the ultimate confrontation: the last fight between Fire and Ice, The White Walkers and the Dragons. General rules are as follows, and please keep an eye out here for more details as the contest progresses.

Prize
1ST : Flight to Paris + All Accommodations + Drinks + IAMAG VIP Master Classes Tickets ( from March 15th to March 19th 2018 )2nd : IAMAG VIP Master Classes Tickets3rd : IAMAG Master Classes Ticket

Rules
- You can use 2D or 3D.- All materials used to create your illustration must belong to you.- You must post at least 3 Work in progress and the final illustration in this forum - Minimun resolution must be 2800px ( large or height ) - If you post your final work on Twitter or Instagram, use these mentions : @iamagco @cgsociety and this hashtag #iamc18artchallenge
- Challenge starts Sept 14th and will end October 30st at midnight- Winners will be announced November 15th

Marc Simonetti

Marc Simonetti (born in 1977 in France) is a French concept artist/ illustrator. Best known for his work on GRR Martin’s books “A song of Ice and Fire”, and his Iron throne, he’s also illustrated some of the most well known fantasy and SciFi novels, such as the Discworld by Terry Pratchett, The Royal Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind’s “Sword of truth”, or Dune Saga by Frank HerbertHe’s also worked for many video games companies such as Activision, ubisoft, Magic The Gathering, EA, Square Enix and King Isle Entertainment. He’s just released an art book “coverama”, and is currently working on several projects such as long feature movies, and doing some concept art for video games, as a freelancer.Marc has recently worked on Valerian and the City of Thousands Planets, a movie directed by Luc Besson,on the environments, vehicles, characters, props and weapons during 10 months. He’s currently on System Schock 3 Video Game and on several upcoming feature films 

Goro Fujita

Goro Fujita is an Art Director, illustrator and visual development artist based in the Bay Area California.
After graduating “The German Film School for digital production” near Berlin in 2005 majoring in 3D animation he started working as a freelance character animator and visual development artist for various companies in Germany.In 2008 he joined DreamWorks Animation as a visual development artist and worked on Merry Madagascar, Megamind, Madagascar 3, Penguins of Madagascar and Boss Baby. He left DreamWorks in 2015 and joined Oculus Story Studio in San Francisco where he art directed the Emmy Award winning VR experience “Henry”. Goro is also known for pioneering art in VR using tools like Quill and Medium.He created the first ever animated Quillustration called “A moment in time” (see above)In 2017 he joined Facebook to continue the development on Quill and to introduce the world to Art in VR

For more info on IAMAG Click Here
http://itsartm.ag/iamc-18

Good luck everyone and feel free to ask any questions you may have here ! 

Last edited by Travis : 09 September 2017 at 08:03 PM.

09 September 2017
Wow!
great competition guys.
may I ask if we can use photographic elements for the image (of course ones we own the rights to etc etc). 
Thanks in advance

09 September 2017
Hi!

You can use photographies as long you clearly demonstrates your workflow in the WIP

09 September 2017
Hi guys.

Would  we need to have the rights to all images used in generating something like a mood board?

09 September 2017
Hi!

I see you mentioned "White Walkers" I'm afrid I'm unfamiliar with the game of thrones series or the song of Ice and fire books. Is it still recomendable to participate?

Last edited by juanselozano : 09 September 2017 at 10:22 AM.

09 September 2017
Hi 

you can have a quick look at Wikipedia and Google some image to get a quick idea, and we ask to imagine something that's not in the book or TV show, it's not a big problem :-)

09 September 2017
Basic Breakdown is to create your ownbattle scene with  Character, Architecture,  Scene Illustrating  Undead (WhiteWalkers) Dragons or Warriors of your own design!

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited by Travis : 09 September 2017 at 09:36 PM.

09 September 2017
darn it, i got the idea of the contest all wrong lol, if i already posted a thread can i still undo it?

09 September 2017
I Think Patrice is commenting that your final illustration needs to be yourown work, no copywriter material.

For inspiration or Moodboards photographs etc are a great way to start. For your inspiration I'd suggest real world items as much as possible

09 September 2017
Svd your entry seems fine to me 

09 September 2017
There's lots of Creative commons photographies you can use. I just want to avoid anyone to be accused to have build his concept using other artists materials, nothing else.

If you're sure about the licence of photographies you want to use, you can go for it.

You can learn more here : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

And have a look here : https://www.pexels.com/

Patrice

09 September 2017

Sorry english isnt my first language and i got confused, but can we make characters that look like the original got chacarters or do we have to create complete new ones by fantasy?

09 September 2017
Let's play with imagination, Make the characters looking as you want, there're some huge differences between the TV show and Novels, so please feel free to create your own interpretation

09 September 2017
There's a lot of room as Patrice said to be creative. I also think by default any whitwalker or dragon will look unique. It will be cool to see either interpretation simmilar to the show or completetly imaginitive origional takes on the books descriptions. Don't forget to check out some of marks book illustrations to see the range between the show and his take 

09 September 2017
and concerning inspiration, I would like to add that you can visit one of our jury url : http://art.marcsimonetti.com/grr-ma...of-ice-and-fire dedicated to his work on GOT dince more than a decade long time before it's been on HBO.

You'll find different characters and situation than the one some of you know in the book .

Also if you want a complementary video you can check this youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bseHSlFQnaY

So .. be creative :-)

reply share thread