Pokémon Going Off

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2016
Pokémon Going Off

Pokemon Go, free-to-play AR based mobile app has certainly galvanised the social aspect behind its phenomenal success. I'm just thinking too myself whether it's only a simple matter of seeking to recapture a sense of the game's nostalgic charm when played as a kid the primary allure or that people actually like playing together in the physical world rather than digitally. Oh well each to his/her own. I much prefer trash talking down the mike gunning some noob, owning his ass MUAHAHAHA!!!

NOTE:
If you don't get the word play. Going Off is Aussie slang for lots of fun

07 July 2016
I am a game developer, so I have a lot to do with games. Specialy mobile and web. And if you want to know my humble opinion about that game - it is very easy to do game, and Nintendo just figured out great and simple and easy to do idea, how to make great money. Do you remember flappy bird? It is just same case. From technical point of view it is extreamly easy to do even by indie studios. But from understanding mobile players mind point of view - it is brilliant. I was still playing few months ago Defender of the Crown game - man, if you haven't play it, you wouldn't belive how simple it is, but in the same time so adictive! And till today I have no idea what keeps me playing it on amiga emulator. I did remake of this game for personal use, just with bigger world, bigger armies, and I could't play it more that few minutes - it was just borring. My point is - sometimes simple ideas make the difference, but people in game dev seems to think that more complex idea will earn them money. Sometimes it is true, but in most cases, games like Pokemon Go, flappy bird, Defender of the Crown - will bring fortune to its makers.

I go back to my beer and playing with myself.

Cheers Mate!

07 July 2016
Agreed the most stickyest games are usually quite simple in design and gameplay basically an opiate hit in pixal form. And yeah Flappy Bird is a primary case in point of what a solo effort can achieve. Now all I gotta do is find my own particular hook. Now how hard can that be.... :P

08 August 2016
Pokemon Go is definitely getting many people out and about. There is a Pokemon Stop at the entrance to the park across the road from my house. At any time of the day and night there are people standing or sitting there with there phones out playing. It isn't only kids either, it's a mix of all ages from kids to people in their late 50's from what I've seen.

08 August 2016
I heard something funny:

If you feel stupid, remember: there are people outside looking for pokemons.

08 August 2016

08 August 2016
Omg, but this 'takes the cake' I mean really, REALLY!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/12/1...n-cheating-bots

09 September 2016
Is anyone else finding Pokemon Go already getting less popular?
Where I live, I'm seeing a very noticeable drop in people playing the game. For a few weeks, I was seeing dozens of people every day playing Pokemon Go, but lately it's down to just a few people a day. Most of my friends and acquaintances are already bored with the game. Are any of you seeing this where you live?

09 September 2016
Originally Posted by Dillster: Is anyone else finding Pokemon Go already getting less popular?
Where I live, I'm seeing a very noticeable drop in people playing the game. For a few weeks, I was seeing dozens of people every day playing Pokemon Go, but lately it's down to just a few people a day. Most of my friends and acquaintances are already bored with the game. Are any of you seeing this where you live?

Should be "Pokamon Gone".

Gave up after first week. I don't see the attraction.

09 September 2016
Yup that was definitely a short lived phenomenon in Vancouver at least. That said though, I don't feel this is a negative outcome. They already had a high base line of players who are into the whole Pokemon IP. All it did was pull in crowds of people who never gave a sh*t about the IP and just didn't want to be left out of the latest social trend. Now what we're seeing is those people that jumped on the band wagon gave up when it became very repetitive, they didn't appreciate it for the game itself, while the Pokemon fans (base line) still continue to pursue the little critters. I do still see people walking around with it open, my girlfriend, who is apart of that base line being one of them. I've also noticed that in the most recent updates, they've definitely leveled out the game, fixed many bugs and over all added new features like the buddy system. I think it will be interesting when they introduce the more PvP and trading systems, i think this will drive many of the band wagon people back into the game.

Personally I always found ingress interesting, and the underlaying system itself is definitely the grounds for a very bright future in gaming, which I hope continues to be explored. However, for the life of me, and i did try, i just cant get excited over finding the next Bulbasaur or Charmander! If it was crazy looking realistic dragons, or even augmented animals with a realistic tone, i'd be tempted. But, Pokemon belongs to the Pokemon generation, and that's one generation gap after me

David

10 October 2016
Meh... i could see from the start that Pokemon go was going to be all hype, just the name Pokemon was all that was needed to catch most people's attention.

reply share thread