Drakeagle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2015
Drakeagle

So a while a go i started a game, but it just didnt work out, but our "outsourced studio"(dereka studio) did some cool concept art, so i thought id model some of the concept art as practice. Been a a few years since i did any real modeling, so this would be a good practice. Was never any good when it came to organic, so want this one to be 100% finished, texture, rigged and animated.
Im posting the concept art here (i own the right to use it as i wish)

Concept
[/URL]

base body(sux i know, just needed to block out the body though):
[/URL]

started on the head (focusing on eagle lookalike first before altering it ) [/URL]

Claw basic model:
[/URL]

These are all about 1hour of work. slow but steady this time. Hope to finish it and make a somewhat decent model.

Pointers or ideas are appreciated.

-thondal-
Lollipop Fish (3D)
The Greedy Fish (3D)

01 January 2015
Looks cool!
that's one epic concept.
i'd say make sure you plan right on the feathers.
Get a nice fur shader for the legs, and look up how to do proper feathers for the wings.

idk off hand how it's done these days but i'm sure theres an easy effective way

01 January 2015
Ah, thanks for the response. Yes I have some other cool concept art as well so will probably move on to those if this one gets awesome enough. I also am trying to create this as a low poly version and export it to unity for another fantasy game that are in need of models, so perhaps it will make it to a game in the end should it all work out.

Yes planning on some kind of angel type of wings, so will work hard on getting them just right.
Fur on the legs, good point, will look into that. Did some fur test a few years ago, but Blender has come a long way since then, so will update my knowlegde there, thanks for the tip.

Hope to get a bit of update done this week. Focusing on the head and body for now and just block in the wings for the feel.

-thondal-
Lollipop Fish (3D)
The Greedy Fish (3D)

01 January 2015
Just a tiny tiny update. Just placing stuff
around, and rezising. Began slightly on the feathers.

Will most likely remodel some of the body next before then attaching head and feet. Also see i may have to lower the wings in a more flat shape to get ready/look better in the rigging part.

-thondal-
Lollipop Fish (3D)
The Greedy Fish (3D)

01 January 2015
I like the concept. It looks promising.

Since you're using Blender, have you considered sculpting and then retopologizing? Blender has some great tools for this workflow. The most common method is to use dynamic topology, which has similar functionality to sculptris. Blender even has some decent alternatives to some base model creation tools in Zbrush. You could use the skin modifier in a similar fashion to Zspheres. If you want to combine separate meshes (such as the head or the claws you're working on) or cut holes in your mesh without having to manually edit the topology of your mesh (like dynamesh in Zbrush), you could use the Boolean modifier, apply that, and then use a remesh modifier to unify the mesh and have evenly spaced polygons. If the polycount gets too high after using remesh, you could decimate the model. After that, you can continue sculpting with dynamic topology.

You can retopologize the mesh later when you're happy with your sculpt. This way, you can concentrate on the design first and then worry about topology and polygon count later on.

This is just a workflow suggestion. Poly modeling is fine too. Good luck!

02 February 2015
Originally Posted by julSan: I like the concept. It looks promising.

Since you're using Blender, have you considered sculpting and then retopologizing? Blender has some great tools for this workflow. The most common method is to use dynamic topology, which has similar functionality to sculptris. Blender even has some decent alternatives to some base model creation tools in Zbrush. You could use the skin modifier in a similar fashion to Zspheres. If you want to combine separate meshes (such as the head or the claws you're working on) or cut holes in your mesh without having to manually edit the topology of your mesh (like dynamesh in Zbrush), you could use the Boolean modifier, apply that, and then use a remesh modifier to unify the mesh and have evenly spaced polygons. If the polycount gets too high after using remesh, you could decimate the model. After that, you can continue sculpting with dynamic topology.

You can retopologize the mesh later when you're happy with your sculpt. This way, you can concentrate on the design first and then worry about topology and polygon count later on.

This is just a workflow suggestion. Poly modeling is fine too. Good luck!

Yes i actually did try to sculp a bit, so may go back to that, speacially once i have the base mesh done.. Last time i used blender for real work the sculpt tool was a bit slow, and so I have mainly focused on polygon modeling, so guess that's why i do it this way.

Perhaps i'll just sculpt the whole thing in zbrush or something and then export it to blender, that may be even better. But I guess It would be possible to do the whole model in blender as well... Not the best sculpter, so not sure where to start. I tend to start out rather ok, then it all just looks like a piece of.... something at the end and not near how i wanted it..

Thanks for the idea though. I feel I am hitting the wall when it comes to polygon modeling alone on this model. Specially with the head and the torso having a lot of "sculpt" parts.

Will see what i can do later on.

-thondal-
Lollipop Fish (3D)
The Greedy Fish (3D)

02 February 2015
gave the sculpt a go... lol. not a good result after 5 minutes.. allready started messing it up :P

but in edit mode it looks fine though:

stupid blob tool i think was the fault of this :P

-thondal-
Lollipop Fish (3D)
The Greedy Fish (3D)

reply share thread