MODO 801 is coming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2014
MODO 801 is coming

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area 24th April, The Foundry has a treat for you: a sneak peak of what’s in MODO 801.

Or you can stream it.

More info ...

04 April 2014
You know from a PR stand point I think would be better that they preview
there new releases earlier in day. Not sure why they always have there news release announcements late in the day.

04 April 2014
signed up for the live event couple days ago, it should be starting around 10:30 for me

04 April 2014
Nodal shading finally! A big thank u Luxulogy! This is going to make Modo appeal to a much wider audience.
That 801 live broadcast did the new version a disservice though. 90% of it was guys totally unaccustomed to public speaking talking about Modo in general but not 801. Very boring.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by Larrikin: Nodal shading finally! A big thank u Luxulogy! This is going to make Modo appeal to a much wider audience.
That 801 live broadcast did the new version a disservice though. 90% of it was guys totally unaccustomed to public speaking talking about Modo in general but not 801. Very boring.

Yeah i agree..

These presentations need to be focused on feature functions not PR crap...

04 April 2014
Quote: Nodal shading finally! A big thank u Luxulogy! This is going to make Modo appeal to a much wider audience.

I felt the same way however i loved the fact that so many of these guys are from small teams. I was hoping to see video after video of new features along with presentations of those features, oh well maybe next time.

04 April 2014
Like I posted earlier they need to get a new PR firm to help them with these announcements.

04 April 2014
There doesn't seem to be much excitement around this release compared to the 701 release.

04 April 2014
801 looks okay, it has quite a few new features for me it's not a 'slam dunk' that i'll upgrade this week but was a solid set of new tools and upgraded features. the presentation was boring though..after Brad's antics i decided to mute the audio of the following speakers and start watching the feature videos online from the foundrys main modo page.

was surprised not to see a built in drag n drop autorigger in 801 with all the new animation tools it has.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

04 April 2014
Modo looks like its trying to catch up with other character/dynamic animation tools on one end, and with sculpting tools on the other... The hair tools are cool, but the rest looks mediocre.

Maybe they should partner with sidefx for a houdini engine for modo and don't waste time with dynamics etc... And with fabricengine for character animation etc...

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by mustique: Modo looks like its trying to catch up with other character/dynamic animation tools on one end, and with sculpting tools on the other... The hair tools are cool, but the rest looks mediocre.

Maybe they should partner with sidefx for a houdini engine for modo and don't waste time with dynamics etc... And with fabricengine for character animation etc...

That's my problem with it too. It is playing catchup in all departments and turned into a jack of many trades master of none app. I am surprised there is no open subd support in 801. There is nothing like Maya viewport 2, no game shaders, no history, you are still tied to the shader tree even with the node based shaders. The animation tools don't interest me because I get much better tools in Maya with a couple of free scripts if I want spacing/posing tools. I am not a fan of on screen displays when I am animating, it is just clutter. Something like the Maya's channel box + floating selection/keying/pose library UI's is the tried and tested best way when animating. I would have liked modo go that way instead of adding some spacing tool that seems to take too many steps to use. But my main issue with 701 was the atrocious viewport performance, even with extremely simple characters like the ACS sample rigs. I am hoping this is improved in 801.

The new UV tools and snapping tools look great though. How is the stability for those of you already using it?

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: It is playing catchup in all departments and turned into a jack of many trades master of none app.

I got that impression too watching some of the videos. A lattice deformer is a big feature? In 2014?! Shouldn't that have been in there from the start for modeling purposes anyway?

I wonder who they are aiming Modo at? We know with Maya it's games/features, Max it's ArchVis and C4D it's Mograph etc. What does the core userbase of Modo do with it mainly?

Cheers,
Brian

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I am surprised there is no open subd support in 801.

My understanding is that Modo's PSUBs (Pixar Subd's) are based on the same code base and compatible with the more recent opensubdiv library.
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/pix...-detailed-look/ (Luxology section toward bottom)

04 April 2014
Videos are unwatchable on my CentOS Linux.
I guess my config-but well this is a first...not sure I'm gonna get my sysadmins a hassle just for these.

Only thing I was able to gleam between stutters is they are doing 'Hz' instead
of 'Oversampling' for Particles. Erm so now you type 3 decimals (as a minimum) instead of 1 (like everybody else)? Seems clunky for no reason except 'to-be-different'.

Last edited by circusboy : 04 April 2014 at 08:07 PM.

reply share thread