leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

CGSociety, say hello to Verold 3D!

We have some exciting news for all of you!

We all love seeing a great render here at CG Society, but what about when you want to show a little more than just that final image? What about your wireframes, normals, and textures? Other angles? Sure, you can just include all of those as additional images in your gallery thread, but what if you could give people the option of actually interacting with your work and checking all of things out for themelves?

Something like this, perhaps?

The best part? No special plugins required! If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you already have all the graphics power you need to render this interactive 3D model and environment directly in your browser.

So how does it work?

Just create your 3d assets in Maya, 3DS Max, Mudbox, ZBrush, or any other software of your choice, and then simply import your model file(s) to the Verold web based tool at http://studio.verold.com. Your model will come in with texture maps assigned and materials set up as closely as possible, but Verold also offers a rich material system to tweak and perfect the shading of your model and environment. Check out the extensive feature list: subsurface scattering, iridescent effects, transmissive properties, Fresnel shading, ability to set another layer of specular information for metallic-looking surfaces, etc... it's an entire creative toolset right there in your browser! How cool is that?

The CG Society forums are your space, and we're excited to give you another tool to communicate your creations to your audience. Using Verold to show off your work publicly is completely free; additionally, there are Pro and Enterprise accounts available if you'd like to use the tools to collaborate on models privately with clients, licensors, or other stakeholders.

So when it comes to posting your work on the forum, the process couldn't be simpler:

1. Upload your project to Verold Studio.

2. Grab the Verold project URL: (eg. http://studio.verold.com/projects/5...245d90200000216)

3. On CGTalk, create a post and click on the Verold Icon in the WYSIWYG editor.

4. Enter in the URL from step 2.

5. Bam! 3D in your browser!

The guys at Verold have put together a short video, posted below, to help get you started. There are also tutorials available in the editor if you need help with something more specific. And of course they'll be monitoring the forum here, so please feel free to post any questions. We're very much looking forward to seeing what you can create in this new medium!

Last edited by keenly : 08-20-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
RockinAkin
DivideByZero

portfolio
Akin Bilgic
Modeler / Generalist TD
USA

Very exciting technology! I've long been searching for a practical way to display my modeling work in real 3D without the need for additional plugins or frameworks. I'm especially impressed with the polycount it can comfortably display in-browser - even on an older laptop.

Really looking forward to seeing it develop further and including it on my website! Not to mention how much easier model review is going to become with my remote clients.

Here's a test scene of one of my recent personal projects which was featured here on CGSociety:

Thanks to Ross, Michael, and the rest of the Verold team! Great work!

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Last edited by RockinAkin : 08-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Ulwaen
Veteran

portfolio
Julien RELIAT
CG artist 2D/3D
PARIS, France

"Verold Studio" is a great tool if you want to add a original touch to you portfolio

Last edited by Ulwaen : 08-08-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
rodgon
Veteran

portfolio
Rodrigo Gon%25C3%25A7alves
Brazil

Hi everyone! Verold Studio helps me improve my portfolio in such a great way. Also, I get better feedback of my work when people can see my work in real-time, especially for low-poly models.

Here are some of my 3D models created in 2013 so far and using Verold Studio to show off my work. Also, you can visit my portfolio website and CGsociety profile.

Any feedback are more than welcome! Cheers!

Last edited by rodgon : 08-12-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
Maxter
Work-In-Progress

portfolio
Fabio Bautista
Character Modeler/Texture Artist
Bogota, Colombia

Verold Studio has become in my favorite online viewer. It is a nice way to share 3D work and get more accurate feedback.

Here is some of my stuff...

GOLIATH

RED HULK

TROLL

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Archvilell
Wannabe Terminator

portfolio
Benjamin Day
Character Artist
Army Game Studio / America's Army
Huntsville, USA

The Archvile

This is my recreation of the Archvile from the original Doom games. I've always thought the Archvile was the most fearsome enemy in Doom, but I wasn't satisfied with his treatment in Doom3. So this started as an entry for a competition in a competition to CGHub to make the best monster for Doom4, but I wasn't satisfied with my concept and work-thus-far by the contest's end. So I kept working on the concept, found a new design I liked, and now I'm happy with it.

Verold is extremely handy in showing people the full extent of my work. High quality renders are still nice for an instant "Wow" factor and low download requirements for something like sending a resume and website to a potential employer, but Verold is a boon for truly showing off the hundreds of hours a character can take. I know with Verold, those potential employers can see all the time and effort I spent sculpting things like the cracks and veins running through the Archvile's hands, even though in my renders, the fire tends to cover them up. With Verold, there is no "fix it in post" or "Ehh, I'll just Photoshop out those seams." Everything is real-time. Just like they'd expect for any of their assets in a game.

Ben

Last edited by castles : 08-13-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Vitrux
Veteran

portfolio
Victoria Passariello
Vitrux
Madrid, Spain

Thumbs up CARGOrilla

Hello Guys, here you can enjoy in real time some of my projects!!
Verold Studio is really amazing to showcase your works in real time and let others to interact with your models... isn't it so cool?
Seriously, if you haven't tried Verold Studio yet, you should...

Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
rossmckegney
CTO @ Verold

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Ross McKegney
CEO
Verold
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for the wonderful intro Leigh

We're of course extremely excited to be working with CGSociety, and to see what the artists here can create using our tools.

The Verold tools were designed specifically for CG artists, and I know you'll be pleasantly surprised by the power and sophistication of our material/shader system. The team is here to help, bring on any questions, comments, or feedback!

Ross

Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
TheIvIaxx
rm -rf /

portfolio
Brett Dixon
Sr Technical Artist
Irvine, USA

When they load, all i get is (bounding)boxes with no shaders. The different render modes work, but still only boxes.

using chrome 28

Draenei:Thread
Troll:Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
rossmckegney
CTO @ Verold

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Ross McKegney
CEO
Verold
Toronto, Canada

Hi Brett,

Some of the models on this page are quite high poly, and may take a few seconds to load. If you're seeing bounding boxes, it's likely just a slow network connection and big model. Could you send me an email to ross.mckegney@verold.com and we'll try to figure this out.

Ross

Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

This is Awesome! Is there anyway to zoom?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
rossmckegney
CTO @ Verold

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Ross McKegney
CEO
Verold
Toronto, Canada

You can zoom using your trackpad, mouse wheel, or the up/down arrow keys. Though keep in mind that the widget window is quite small, and if you really want to zoom in to see fine detail, you may want to click the fullscreen button first.

Ross

Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Hi Ross. This looks like a fantastic integration. I never got my models to load on the Verold website but now that its here I guess I'll give it another try.

Edit:
Except I see its running from the Verold website.
(rolls up sleeves) I'll get it working.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

Very cool addition to the forum, I didn't even know this website existed until now... seems like the perfect way to show off 3D models not only for critique, but to clients or potential customers. Excited to see people adopt this new feature.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
rossmckegney
CTO @ Verold

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Ross McKegney
CEO
Verold
Toronto, Canada

Hi Wyatt: it's a new service running on cutting edge features in the browser - not perfect yet, but every day it gets more stable and ready for mainstream.

Grant: the viewer you see here is just one feature of the Verold platform. The bulk of the functionality is for exactly what you're suggesting - getting/giving feedback on 3d assets. Whether you're working as part of a distributed team, need to get approval from stakeholders, want feedback on an assignment for school - you can use Verold to easily send a "link" to your 3d model, and get feedback right inside the tool.

Thread Closed share thread