Nuke Explosions..for Ka-boom freaks only!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by PozestStar: I have another question for anyone reading this. I see a lot of people talking about emitting fluids from particles. What's the advantage of this?
Thanks again

The advantage of using particles are many. Think about what you can do with particles? essentially you have a lot of control over position so you could create a tornado rig using particles first then emit things like density and velocity from your particles into your fluid container, each particle becomes a fluid emitter. Just think if you tried to control the position hundreds of standard fluid emitters to do the same thing?! With particles there is just one emitter but multiple locations.

10 October 2012
@ aiki : this one is specially for you

https://vimeo.com/51856494

.. took a while to reply you but anyway hope this test helps in some way about substep & the Different Solving methods. I am just trying to show how One can get artifacts with most common & different settings. There are ways to avoid it but normally this happens in most of the sims. For me the Winner is using High Detail Solve in OFF mode or in All grids except velocity for most Nuke Explosions.. Just my opinion from my little experience...I dont mean to contradict about All Grids ...I just dont use it much. I find it useful only in some situations like liquids , collisions & few smoke sims etc.

Feel free to express your view & try experimenting with the file I have attached here. Substeps seems very useful in fast emitting velocities or moving objects.

Just a small update on Black body Radiation shader test.. still experimenting it with :

https://vimeo.com/51858924
Attached Files
File Type: zip jet_smoke5.zip (8.8 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by viki164 : 10 October 2012 at 07:53 AM.

10 October 2012
thanks for sharing this, it is indeed not so usable to have velocity high detail solve on for fast moving objects.

Btw I found the open source sparse file caching code at github, I started a thread for that also. Anyone here has used it, I know they use sth similar to this at weta.
vimeo.com/user7844693

10 October 2012
@ Vik
Thanks very much for doing this, it has confirmed to me that All grids except velocity is a must. For a long time I had problems with artifacts and I came to this conclusion myself - In the past I've seen a couple of fluid guys at Weta display this problem and I think to myself "wow you still dont know about this one?"

I didnt know about the substepping so this is very good to know also to keep this low unless trying to solve for high velocities.

One thing Ive discovered for myself is that I need to solve for temperature first with fuel off, then after things are playing nicely together I add fuel into the mix to increase the power of the explosion. Its seems that I am just controlling temperature in my explosions rather than fuel as fuel just burns and adds more temperature - afterall its temperature that we are shading.

How are you finding blackbody?

Thanks for the tests man, you're the best

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Aikiman: @ Vik
Thanks very much for doing this, it has confirmed to me that All grids except velocity is a must. For a long time I had problems with artifacts and I came to this conclusion myself - In the past I've seen a couple of fluid guys at Weta display this problem and I think to myself "wow you still dont know about this one?"

I didnt know about the substepping so this is very good to know also to keep this low unless trying to solve for high velocities.

One thing Ive discovered for myself is that I need to solve for temperature first with fuel off, then after things are playing nicely together I add fuel into the mix to increase the power of the explosion. Its seems that I am just controlling temperature in my explosions rather than fuel as fuel just burns and adds more temperature - afterall its temperature that we are shading.

How are you finding blackbody?

Thanks for the tests man, you're the best

Same here, all grids was doing this all the time for me. I always thought it was because of other settings. But to see it so blatant like that makes so much sense.

Thanks so much Vikas!

10 October 2012
Nice one V!

Think its time for you to redo your reel and apply here again

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

10 October 2012
Maybe we could all contribute to a wiki of some kind of 'best practices' for maya fluids? Seems like a lot of us here know how to push her buttons in the right way.

I'll hopefully post some vids of my recent sims but I'm so busy at the moment (don't know what that could be thats taking up all my time, guesses on a postcard).

10 October 2012
A wiki would be cool. Honestly, this is one of the best threads I've read and has helped me so much as an artist. Thanks everyone for sharing!

10 October 2012
Wiki not a bad idea.

Just wanted to share my latest test, thanks to Vik for all his knowledge and inspiration. Patience is a virtue.

https://vimeo.com/51976738

10 October 2012
Alright lets have it . I was already doing some writing for the blog but I could never execute everything together in time. Always got carried away with some other works & then I thought it will be hard to maintain it. Also having my own blog to me was more like a biased view. it will be just one sided sharing..

But then I came across few Houdini's digital assets websites & I saw how people are very generous to share their Rnd's & Test on that site. Its not a one Person blog..So having a wiki sounds more logical & good to me..Many others can chime in too to contribute & we can localize all the infos & test at one place. I think I support this idea of " Best Practices with Maya Fluids or Destruction's or Explosions with Maya Fluid ...whatever ". Thanks Danmarell !!

Last edited by viki164 : 10 October 2012 at 07:43 AM.

10 October 2012
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by viki164: Alright lets have it . I was already doing some writing for the blog but I could never execute everything together in time. Always got carried away with some other works & then I thought it will be hard to maintain it. Also having my own blog to me was more like a biased view. it will be just one sided sharing..

But then I came across few Houdini's digital assets websites & I saw how people are very generous to share their Rnd's & Test on that site. Its not a one Person blog..So having a wiki sounds more logical & good to me..Many others can chime in too to contribute & we can localize all the infos & test at one place. I think I support this idea of " Best Practices with Maya Fluids or Destruction's or Explosions with Maya Fluid ...whatever ". Thanks Danmarell !!

i agree with viki that could be really helpfull for everyone, one place,sharing and learning

10 October 2012
Hey guys, I was digging into fluids a few months ago and ran across viki and this thread, and I had some questions. One thing I was trying to do was get a nice space nebula simulation. I wanted to get a good simulation going and then 'freeze' it so I can fly through it with a camera as well as have somewhat convincing stars etc. Any tips from you guys as to how to make something more floaty and less explosive and with some kind of nice nebula shader etc? Thanks!

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Uvwar: Hey guys, I was digging into fluids a few months ago and ran across viki and this thread, and I had some questions. One thing I was trying to do was get a nice space nebula simulation. I wanted to get a good simulation going and then 'freeze' it so I can fly through it with a camera as well as have somewhat convincing stars etc. Any tips from you guys as to how to make something more floaty and less explosive and with some kind of nice nebula shader etc? Thanks!

There is a nebula example in the visor(Fluid Examples > Space > Eagle Nebula.ma). Its not dynamic so its already "frozen" but you can explore it's shading and it probably also has stars.

To get some movement in the nebula you can you can animate the texture time attribute in the textures section of the nebula fluid container. : )

10 October 2012
Or you could use gradient force and/or self attraction to get a tendril like effect in your sims. You can then save initial state and then turn of evaulation to freeze it.

Alternatively, just run a particle sim with a LOT of particles through a turbulence field with conserve set low. The particles tend to bunch up in high contrast areas of the turbulence. You could render them as cloud or even volume spheres.

but yeah textured static fluids are the easiest way.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Uvwar: Hey guys, I was digging into fluids a few months ago and ran across viki and this thread, and I had some questions. One thing I was trying to do was get a nice space nebula simulation. I wanted to get a good simulation going and then 'freeze' it so I can fly through it with a camera as well as have somewhat convincing stars etc. Any tips from you guys as to how to make something more floaty and less explosive and with some kind of nice nebula shader etc? Thanks!

Hi Uvwar! Here is a short film I made with maya fluids... All nebulas and space phenomenons, maybe you can find some inspiration?
http://vimeo.com/45720896

Among the tips I can give you, many have been said by the others:
- sculpt your fluids with initial states (like: simulate, set initial state, simulate, set initial state, etc.)
- get the texture rollout of the fluid to make the details instead of the fluid resolution...
- ** If your fluid is not moving, set all the content methods to static or you will get jitter effects, maybe.. **
- I have used After effects and trapcode too, I found useful to properly understand how to export the maya camera in AE, BUT it was very hard to achieve at first (using MayatoAE.mel has done it for me)
- beware of the intersection of multiple fluid containers. You better plan their position so they do not touch each other or you will need to enter the nightmare or volume samples...
- Most of the stars (the dots) in my short were rendered in AE with Trapcode Form, they were rendering better than in mental ray because I was using low AA settings in mental ray to render quicker my fluids.
- consider the use of sprites for some effects...

Good luck!

p.s. sorry kaboom freaks for the off-topic tips : )

reply share thread