Nuke Explosions..for Ka-boom freaks only!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Ruslan588: hey guys,what do you think is it possible to recreate this in maya ?
thats the best cg nuke i ever seen,very impressive!
https://vimeo.com/26016220

Ive seen better FumeFX nukes but that ones pretty cool too

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Aikiman: Ive seen better FumeFX nukes but that ones pretty cool too

i was very impressed when i've seen that nuke, it makes me feel that all my nuke tests looks like garbage hehe
do you think its possible to achieve this level of detail with Maya Fluids?

Last edited by Ruslan588 : 07 July 2012 at 01:51 PM.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Ruslan588: i was very impressed when i've seen that nuke, it makes me feel that all my nuke tests looks like garbage hehe
do you think its possible to achieve this level of detail with Maya Fluids?

To be honest I havent seen Maya get that much detail and Im not sure it could do so with as much ease as FumeFX....BUT...Ive also seen some guys do some awesome stuff with Maya fluids that makes my fluids look like garbage too Lets face it though, how often in ones career do you get to do a nuclear explosion? maybe once, twice if you are lucky? For 99% of all other explosions needed for film/games/tv, Maya does an awesome job.

On a side note FumeFX is porting to Maya so you dont have to worry anymore

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Aikiman: To be honest I havent seen Maya get that much detail and Im not sure it could do so with as much ease as FumeFX....BUT...Ive also seen some guys do some awesome stuff with Maya fluids that makes my fluids look like garbage too Lets face it though, how often in ones career do you get to do a nuclear explosion? maybe once, twice if you are lucky? For 99% of all other explosions needed for film/games/tv, Maya does an awesome job.

On a side note FumeFX is porting to Maya so you dont have to worry anymore

yeah i'm agree with you, Maya Fluids does a great job. and its good that we will have some alternatives like Fume fx or Phoenix fd. That will extend opportunities of Maya users

07 July 2012
good looking isnt as only important thing in Maya and 3dsmax-Fume.
The point is also interactions with obiects, Maya is able to work in full complexity of simulations on scene, obiects, body`s even particles. Is max-fume able to interract with something?

ps. Ruslan - i do not see it precissly, You`re use soft Maya? if so, what is this thing going above fluid-on the top? its emitter or force pushing up this mushroom? thanks for advice

Last edited by looppy : 07 July 2012 at 03:30 PM.

07 July 2012
with all due respect , One fluidshape node with more than 400 + attributes to control. what more a solver can give ?
there is always room for improvement but if everything gets in one click then its not the artist who creates a beauty from it. Its the Solver who decides your look & flow. should you be very happy if you have few ready made presets & knobs to achieve your look effect & let the solver control it shape ?

fortunately In Maya fluids you get a very great control & you can shape your sim the way you want. If Maya Fluids would have less attributes & control then I guess it would have been among the fastest solver too.

In Production lot of Big Studios have inhouse tool like post operations on upresing & lighting the fluid or applying wavelet turbulence on top it, to bring out the details from your low res sim.

It might be the optimal way of working & having lot of versions in less time rather than putting One Hi res sim which takes ages to render & sim.

Soon I will be putting some test here without the help of any post operations or Wavelet noise applied on it. I am quite sure its very much possible to achieve that kind of detail in the nuke explosion .

Stay tuned.
- Vik

Last edited by viki164 : 07 July 2012 at 06:04 PM.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by looppy: ps. Ruslan - i do not see it precissly, You`re use soft Maya? if so, what is this thing going above fluid-on the top? its emitter or force pushing up this mushroom? thanks for advice

yeah its fluid emitter, its used to extend the container,to give it a little bit more space.

Originally Posted by viki164: Soon I will be putting some test here without the help of any post operations or Wavelet noise applied on it. I am quite sure its very much possible to achieve that kind of detail in the nuke explosion .

you mean make that detailed nuke without using any textures?
i would like to see that, your previous tests looks great

Last edited by Ruslan588 : 07 July 2012 at 06:29 AM.

07 July 2012
If there is one guy who could get close to that render then in my opinion it would be Vik, look forward to your tests my friend.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Aikiman: If there is one guy who could get close to that render then in my opinion it would be Vik, look forward to your tests my friend.

I agree to that!

07 July 2012
Love this thread. Hope it never ends. I'll try and put some of my recent stuff on here soon (when I get time, I got a movie or three to make).

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Ruslan588: hey guys,what do you think is it possible to recreate this in maya ?
thats the best cg nuke i ever seen,very impressive!
https://vimeo.com/26016220

Very sweet. That looks like Houdini Pyro to me. But I could very well be wrong on that.

Ok, Decided to get a little out of my comfort zone here and use Fumefx. Posted this up to Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/50643886
I really like the detail I can get with Fume pretty much right outta the box. I think I'm a convert. The lighting at the end is just an experiment, but the plan is to develop this guy into a full blown (pardon the pun) nuke. I know this thread is mostly for maya fluids, but I thought someone here would have some ideas on how to make this thing more nuke like. Once I get some setting that are starting to look good I'll increase the size of the box.

10 October 2012
Thumbs up first time explotion

hiii this is my first test explotion https://vimeo.com/50808560 plss criticss or comments

10 October 2012
apologize for all delays & replies . Here is a small update from my end. I have been experimenting a lot with temperature pressure expansion. I really like the way temperature Pressure forces the volume to expand in a more realistic way & adds more life into shading. These tests are plain maya fluid sims.. I havent added SOUP upres & Blackbody Radiation magic touch yet but I am very thrilled to implement this on my sims. I hope it might become more believable when I add these into my current sims.

Thank you all for your kind & keen interest in pushing this thread . I have learned a lot & I hope more learning ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2gW...eature=youtu.be

little better quality on vimeo here :

https://vimeo.com/51342760

Thanks !

Last edited by viki164 : 10 October 2012 at 05:02 PM.

10 October 2012
amazing sims as usual Vik, but the temp. pressure tends to create these spherical shapes which in my eyes seem a little bit unrealistic? I didn't find useful values yet

but I'm sure upres + blackbody will make your sims look even better

10 October 2012
Alright ..this gonna be little tough one to make u guys believe that temp pressure is actually very helpful.
I can understand the frustration & things can get bitchy when the temperature pressure expands in a ball shape & it tends to keep it growing if its not used in a correct way.
there are pros & cons to every side...the bad part can be annoying & might get hard to control it but Dude I did a millions of trials & deliberate mistakes to see both worst & good part of temperature pressure.

some of the worst parts are ..when used in a longer period/duration without keying it of or no pressure threshold value then it will blow up in a very abrupt way & might keep expanding...it will expand so quickly & might touch the boundaries..you might end up having a fat albert sim in box shape. so to avoid this I also tend to use high auto resize margin in the start & then key off to normal values after the effect of temperature pressure is gone down.

With temperature pressure when used with ALL grids ON can lead to sudden increase or decrease in temperature values...there is volume loss & it can dissipates very fast based on your temp dissipation & reaction speed.. so this is very sensitive attribute like Fuel & All of my sims are without ALL grids ON. I personally don't use much the ALL GRIDS ON options..it tends to produce artifacts & it expands in a weird way. It turns out best in other effects like wispy smoke or liquids may be ..but for explosion I stick with All grids off or except velocity..as it holds the mushroom shape very well.

There are many good parts & the bad parts. The bad part can be avoided or controlled if its used in a correct way.

I some how figured that the best way to control any explosion is to control it with Fuel & its reaction speed used in conjunction with temperature pressure.

I have used temperature pressure in all the explosion sims here..I have gone to extreme values also & as a result u see in some explosion there is a big volume loss. I have done this deliberately..just to show case this effect.

with TEMP PRESSURE..I discovered I can really get some very fast explosive expansion & I can control the expansion based in Fuel reaction speed. i normally practice to use lot of fuel almost double than the temperature value & release good amount of heat & keep the reaction alive for a longer period. Longer the reaction gives longer rolling in the simulation. Most of the time I try to visualize the distribution of fuel & temperature in the sim with the display attribute to see them individually.

I tend to key off the temperature pressure value to zero after first few 5 or 10 frames...& then let the fuel reaction take the control in the rolling of smoke. The ball shape can be avoided using few things..one can use volume axis field with high turbulence for the first few frames when temperature pressure is active & another way is to use Air to Fuel Ratio which randomizes the burning of fuel & this tends to distort the even spread behavior of temperature pressure.

With temperature pressure One can get a rich details in the temperature distribution & it spreads out very fast in a explosive way...of what one sees in a real explosions.

Basically I try to achieve is Expand , Roll & Billow..three main ingredients of most explosion..there is a lot I can talk about this topic & my work flow & also the good & bad experiences I had while playing with Temperature Pressure.. but I really love this feature..One just need to know how to use it effectively & wisely. when I use the temperature pressure in Fire sim or in any long emission sim like oil smoke . I try to a very little less value in temp pressure...so it tends to give me the pulsating effect of what it happens in real life physics.. with temperature pressure I was able to achieve multiple mushroom effect stacking on top of each other in one container & also make different behavior like oil smoke & fire smoke..u can see in my recent uploaded test.

I am trying to write a proper brief workflow in my spare time for doing explosions.. hopefully I can try to write more about it tomorrow. right now all I can say it WORKS for me as you can see it in my videos & I have changed my way. I prefer to control the explosion with fuel & temperature rather than with particles & fields. the reaction speed decides the nature of the explosion. Particles & Fields are good to give a random shape but the driving factor for motion is to use right amount of fuel in conjunction with temperature.

good night from here...hope this info was little helpful..

Last edited by viki164 : 10 October 2012 at 04:07 AM.

reply share thread