2013 extension announcement...rant

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08 August 2012   #11
Seems to me there's a few things going on:

- Can we still use the software we still use? See "will be able to get Boxen for 2013"

- Is a subscription worth it? It's a gamble. They try to toss in some stuff at half-year to make it fun/sweeten the deal. But isn't the real deal with a subscription to keep the cost of upgrades down? ISTR paying $1300 or more for an upgrade. So $400 (is it?) seems a much more manageable number... look, this is an old discussion, I shouldn't have to have it and if you are on sub you should have already had it. "Waaa, my deal sweetener isn't as sweet as I'd hoped. I'ma quit you." Whatever.

- And the one which I think is most important and most legit: We were told "buy subscription in order to keep up to date with the latest releases." Well, there's a latest release and people on subscription are claiming they don't have it. This needs to be addressed on two fronts - legally, fraud, false advertising, actual content of actual contracts, that sort of thing; perception, who cares what the contracts say, people are feeling dicked around and I'd say with cause. Or was it announced when the suites (which I too ignored because I don't like and/or use the other software) came out "Buy a suite in order to seriously keep more up to date with the more latest more releases than the usual up to date latest release"?

- And a fourth note: You can only say "we aren't allowed to say anything" for so long. This is software, we weren't all born yesterday. There's a term we used to use that the flood of new users since the beginnings of the web have pushed aside. It needs to come back into general use. Vaporware. See also this thing about this boy who cried wolf. Remember, there really was a real actual wolf (really frickin' awesome piece of software) at the end of the story, but nobody bought it.

P.S. - Yes, I understand I simplified. That was my intent. No, I have no interest in refining the details to suit you.

share thread