Envelope XPresso

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2011
You basically remade the collision deformer,
very well done tofuji :-)

While iterating through a lot of points xpresso can be a little slow,
your sphere scene is a proof for that. Maybe you can mix the inheritance
effector with the xpresso setup in order to get more performance?

Last edited by typografschaft : 10 October 2011 at 09:03 PM.

10 October 2011
Originally Posted by typografschaft: You basically remade the collision deformer,
very well done tofuji :-)

While iterating through a lot of points xpresso can be a little slow,
your sphere scene is a proof for that. Maybe you can mix the inheritance
effector with the xpresso setup in order to get more performance?

Collision Deformer? Good idea.

Actually this works similar to my XPresso. Following is differences.

Collision Deformer.
_good point; faster, smoother deformation as soft body, work with primitives.
_bad point; no way to deform it to normal direction, except PLA.

my XPresso
_good point; easily work with surface normal.

However, in almost cases, the Collision Defomer may be better.

---

About slow speed of XPresso, I do not think it so problem. It may need few minutes to deform 1 million polygon, but still faster than rendering in almost cases. Also it is easy to handle it in editor with rough dummy object.

Then about your idea "Inheritance", I can not get usage in this case.

I think better way is "coding all in COFFEE" node or expression. But the "Ray Collision" function is not in COFFEE, and many students say like "I can not understand COFFEE", so I uses XPresso nodes as far as possible.

10 October 2011
Here's a site where the GeRayCollider in Python is explained, maybe you can take
your whole setup to Python?
http://villager-and-c4d.cocolog-nif...ython-r1-5.html

You can forget about the inheritance effector, as it only relies on actual vertices
and doesn't work like the ray collision which can affect any point on geometry.
Was a bad idea ;-)

10 October 2011
Originally Posted by typografschaft: Here's a site where the GeRayCollider in Python is explained, maybe you can take
your whole setup to Python?

I have tried the Python few months ago, but gave up to use it.

Python
_good point; more functions include TP and other modules, continue to develop.
_bad point; bad (or no) documents (or sample code), more codes are necessary (include(), global...), crazy manner (8 space = tab), incompatible with 2 byte text.

COFFEE
_good point; easy (or simple) to use, even with 2 byte text. Richard Kurz made.
_bad point; discontinue to develop, no new function, nor some important functions are not updated (time line, modering commands).

So I will use COFFEE until it is deleted from CINEMA 4D.

10 October 2011
Quote: Python
_good point; more functions include TP and other modules, continue to develop.
_bad point; bad (or no) documents (or sample code), more codes are necessary (include(), global...), crazy manner (8 space = tab), incompatible with 2 byte text.

What do you mean with "8 space = tab" ?
You just have to care that your indentation is right, best is to use spaces everywhere.
The built-in Skript-Editor of C4D does it, and many Code editors support using spaces instead of tab characters.
Also, what is "2 byte text" ? Do you mean utf-8 ? Just paste this at the top of your file:
# -.- coding: utf-8 -.-

The Py4D community is growing further and further. The PluginCafe is your favorite place if you have any question related to Cinema 4D programming.

I am trying to complete these tutorials, but right now I am really busy with school.
Here is an incomplete series of Py4D Tutorials of mine: link

Cheers,
Niklas

PS: The videos are really cool, I am fascinated from the enveloping.

10 October 2011
Originally Posted by nux95: What do you mean with "8 space = tab" ?

The Python takes very "strange" and "local" rule for coding.

Basically, you are right. "Use space only" may be best way to use the Python. However, the other hand, the Python does not forbid to use "tab" and even ";". So I use tab because it is much easier to me to code something.

Then, the Python counts "tab" as "8*spaces".

1. But, C4D python editor converts the "tab" key input to "4*spaces".

2. But, the editor DOES NOT convert the "tab" to "4*spaces" at pasting from external editor.

3. But, the editor DOES NOT delete the 4*spaces at one delete key input.

As a result, my code becomes crazy.

The C4D editor is useless, because it does not have even "find and replace" function which is very basic and important to coding. So I need external editor.

Of course, it is possible to set behavier of the external editor (Jedit) to similar to C4D editor. But I do not want to do so, because I am using the editor for many purpose including Japanese text input.

Originally Posted by nux95: Also, what is "2 byte text" ? Do you mean utf-8 ? Just paste this at the top of your file:
# -.- coding: utf-8 -.-

Basically the Python is 2 Byte text (Chinese, Korian, Japanese...) compatible with unicode (UTF-8). But C4D implementation of the Python is (was) NOT.

Try my sample in R12.
http://www2.11moon.com/sample_files...unicode_for.zip

The Python returns error at for() loop with unicode text, and your magic does not work.

R13 can understand your magic, but there is no information for Japanese users about your magic. Also there may be many bugs still in the Python even in R13.

By the way, old COFFEE could handle 2 byte unicode text even in R7 (10 years ago), without any "magic word" nor "addition (u(unicode text))". This is because the COFFEE was developed by great Richard Kurz, and deeply tested about unicode compatibility by me.

Can not you delete the "magic word" and "addition" from the Python like as old COFFEE. And if you can not, why should I move to the new-worse Python from old-better COFFEE?

Last edited by tofuji : 10 October 2011 at 08:50 PM.

10 October 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread