WIP - Sakura (Street Fighter)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2011
WIP - Evil Sakura (Street Fighter)

Hello!

I'm about to finish this up, but as we all know we tend to stare us blind not being able to see our mistakes. So if there might be something weird, now is the time to comment ;D Please!

Last edited by Jelo : 08 August 2011 at 07:58 AM.

08 August 2011
This is looking like it's going to be a fun piece.

The one thing that sticks out a bit to me is how she is balanced while dragging someone who's much heavier than her. Even though she's a fighter and strong, I think her basic physiology and center gravity is still human like the rest of us, so it would look more authentic and expressive if she's showing at least a little bit effort in her shoulders (and counter-balancing with her hips) while dragging a big muscular male fighter.

Personally, I'm not a fan of iconic, centered composition for any kind of action-oriented scenes, and since she's sashaying with zest and dragging a hulking guy behind her, I would consider it action instead of repose, and if I was working on this piece, I'd alter the composition by maybe adding a supporting element somewhere to offset two characters, which also allows them to not be forced into the center position by default (which is almost kind of lazy in a way). But this is part is more subjective I think.

08 August 2011
Looks very promising Joel! I love Streetfighter ^^ (who doesn't eh?)

First thing that I noticed that's weird would be the lighting. She's in front of the sun, so she'd be more silhouetted. Assuming there are reflecting materials where light can bounce off from, it still doesn't explain why the highlights / rimlights are brighter than the sun (quite a strong light source I would say). That glow effect around the sun needs to be less obvious. It looks like a quick layer effect currently. The sky also needs adjusting. Best to look at a reference image. You'll see then that you don't get a vertical gradient like that, but actually a radial gradient with the sun at its' center. It then becomes more like a vertical gradient once you get further away from the sun. Some radiosity / caustics will also help. Like, that white shirt will bounce some light on the shadow sides of the blue collar for instance, and the bright yellow tie, same thing. Especially her ears will become very red due to translucency. Areas with more blood flow will naturally be a bit redder, like the nose, elbows, knees.

Here's a great article / tutorial on light in case you want to recap / look some stuff up: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm
My blog

08 August 2011
I was thinking, since this is like a sunset kind of scene, shouldn't highlights be more yellowish, or maybe orangey or something?

08 August 2011
First I want to say thank you all for your comments and suggestions they are all good and reasonable. Then Dan isn't quite there yet, he needs a lot of refinement.

To RicoD and epitgo: I will tweak and balance light intensity and colors one everything is laid down. My light concept/idea, which seem to be misunderstood, not your fault, is that the "rim" light are coming from the sun, it' actually two light sources on each side so I can get relief detail that the sun can't provide. See the light hitting Sakura's nose, light from the sun couldn't possibly hit there. So this is basically a artificially lit photo shoot in a natural environment, or like a movie with extra stylized lighting.

Lunatique: Great points on the balance, I was thinking about it before but wanted her to be very strong, some of the original feeling from the sketches were lost through all the rendering and I've been struggling to find my way back to that feeling/expression but in the course lost plausible balance. But now that you mention it I took the time to reposition here slightly. I must say I think this is much better and I even got more of a hip angle yay!, maybe it's not completely what you had in mind but she's still supposed to be demon like strong. I didn't name the thread but the final title will be "Evil Sakura", she's basically the same as Evil Ryu.

On the centered layout, I think it's strong and it fit's perfectly with the intense powerful in your face feeling I'm looking for with this piece, I actually want this to come off like a iconic Frazetta or Drew Struzan poster.

Last edited by Jelo : 08 August 2011 at 07:55 AM.

09 September 2011
Good luck, I'm really enjoying the concept.
Great colors and great design.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers

09 September 2011
Here's an update, I cropped the image and worked Sakuras leg also some on Dan's karate gi.

I felt that although nice with such a large space around the characters with a nice sky I still wanted to come close to them. What do you think guys, is it better cropped?

theartofsoso: thanks!

09 September 2011
Yes, I like it.
It's great...

09 September 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread