softimage 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04 April 2011   #1
softimage 2013

Ok, I don't want start a wishlist or other complain, but I would like know, if possible, where will go Softimage, don't want insult in any way development work or blame SI capability.
Now I think ICE development is almost finished (I think they will add Hair and some trimming here and there, some new node or something), and then? I'm more impressed by Nitro viewport then ICE modelling (or stop button), I don't say ICE modelling is not a good enhancement, but I don't use ICE (and like me I think many other) so, for my need, I prefer a more "traditional" upgrade (improvement in rendering, modelling, workflow ecc.). So, with a finished or almost finished ICE, where SI will move in a near future? Any rendering improvement? Do AD buy Modo and then integrate it in SI? (this is a joke, but nothing is impossible when have money )
Ice modelling will improve SI modelling tools? I don't know, but Houdini has a most complete set of procedural modelling, from years, and I don't find any nice modelling tools in it (with all the respect for Houdini and his user, it is all IMHO).

In SI 2012 found in File menu a useful "send to 3dsmax", not an exporter, you need, I think, an installed 3dsm copy, so you can have many other possibility (nitro viewport, many rendering options and plugin), but hey, a solo artist cannot buy, upgrade and study all this (complex) software for a single (or two) feature.
If this is the AD strategy ("dear customer for a modern, all around and update software buy all our three major software), I think a hobbyst and oneman studio like me must think to migrate to other software (modo, blender or Lightwave) or don't waste money and don't upgrade at all

I'm a zbrush user, and GOZ lack for SI was for me a bad joke. In 2012 the "send to mudbox" convinced me to give a try to mudbox, then I looked the mudbox tag price, and returned back to my nice gosoflitimage lite...

Last edited by Ciuccio : 04 April 2011 at 10:48 AM.

share thread