55 Dragons design marathon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
55 Dragons design marathon

Hello
This thread is collection of Dragon bust 3d sketches I did over the course of February using Zbrush.
55 designs in less then 28 days. Most of them are modeled from scratch or recycled from the previous zsphere base(teeth,tongue,eye were also mostly recycled).
On average, it took about 2 hours give or take to model each dragon.
During this design "marathon" I have recorded most of the modeling sessions(except couple of models I had my zbrush app crash in the middle of session) that I'l also upload and link to this thread once I get it up to my website.
I just needed a challenge for myself, and I can tell you this was a good experience.

Whole idea of this "marathon" was quite beneficial for me, since I ended up with some sharper skills, became faster in conceiving something, some cool ideas for dragon related images that I plan to flesh out in coming weeks and a nice collection of 3d sketches..
Hope this thread gives some inspiration and motivation for similar feats to whoever comes here.
I'l keep adding some wips and sketches to this thread as I continue my work related to dragon stuff.

attached is part of alphas(zipped package) I've created specifically for this "marathon", feel free to use it in your own work:

Images below were rendered in zbrush. Will upload 5-10 images per day or something like that, doesn't allow more in one post.
cheers!

Last edited by AIR : 03 March 2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: adding link to time-lapse videos

03 March 2011
Another 5 images:

03 March 2011
and another..

03 March 2011
Wow! Exceptional work!

Did they all start off from the same base?

Number 12 is my favorite. Looks like the love child between a snake, and a snapdragon.

03 March 2011
Amazing job with the skin textures, I assume those were made with some Zbrush brushes (redundant i know). The design work is exeptional also, really liekd the one with the big elaborate crest above its head!

03 March 2011
Amazing work, you make it look effortless!

03 March 2011
This is insanely awesome....amazing work

03 March 2011
Great work man! Hope you decide to take a couple of these further, because you have some pretty solid designs going here.

Kudos for pushing yourself to crank these out too

03 March 2011
amazing jobs man.... i love these dragons so much. cool render prety realistic

03 March 2011
Pyke: Most of them are made from scratch, some of them share the same zsphere/zsketch base, and I think I have recycled 1 or 2 base meshes.

hazenbenjamin_ that was the plan, I intend to make couple of images by taking some of the cocnepts and work them out more.

thx for watching and commenting guys!

03 March 2011
These are amazing, Very creative. You could fill a whole world with these. Great Job!

03 March 2011
You should be officially knighted and called The Dragonmaker! Very skilled work indeed! Some greatly done shapes among your dragon portrait gallery and the presentation looks clean, most appealing. My favourite is the fat ‘hamster dragon’ - very original.

Keep up the nice work, and create maybe a permanent link to this gallery below your posts before the thread sinks into obscurity in the WIP section.

03 March 2011
Thx Zoltan, I'l ad the link to the thread to my signature, good idea!

Thread Closed share thread