Ingame Characters for last Project (Settlers), Michael Filipowski (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
Ingame Characters for last Project (Settlers), Michael Filipowski (3D)

Title: Ingame Characters for last Project (Settlers)
Name: Michael Filipowski
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop

hey,

this was done for my last project as a lead character artist.
After more than 10 years i'm not working at Blue Byte anymore - i'm looking forward to new challenges.
responsible for the style, look, pipeline, consistency and the many outsourcing partners we worked with there was not much left that i have done myself from scratch. so i'm happy to show you some old school low poly characters. nothing more than a boring diffuse with alpha on a handful of triangles ;)
the style was very clean and cartoony to support our squash and stretch animations.
big thanks to christian nauck, who did nearly all of the character concept art. you can see his incredible work on his blog:
http://sketchfu.blogspot.com/

Above you can see different ingame characters ( up to 1000 tris painted on a 1024² map for each of them):

some more will follow...

let me know what you think :)

04 April 2010
hm, i can't edit the first post - so here we go with another one...
Zoe:
just did the head, so no full body shot

Ramirez:
first prototype character as a style test

Horse:
nude horse which was just as basis for all horse models.

fullbody shot of zoe as requested - body was not done by me! props go to the guys from art-coding. i just did some polishing:

Originally Posted by Youplaboum: .....Could you describe your texturing process ? do you paint directly on your model ? do you bake some textures before painting like ambiant occlusion to get a better idea of texture UVs ? It should be great to learn more about this.

here we go - first some steps:

due to the sheer amount of different characters and for consistency issues, i firstly made a nude model with a body texture for every bodytype (see no.1). as you can see some parts are more rough than others (legs are mostly hidden by skirts, trousers...). than i paint clothes over the nude figure.
for individual characters i would leave the first step and paint only skin where it is not covered by clothes.

No.2-4 are the different painting steps. my process is more like a speedpainting. i try to nail down quickly all important parts -> shapes, colours, shading. keeping the uvs straight, clean and together and also unwrap the uvs by hand helps me for orientation in ps. i don't have to switch so many times between 2d and 3d to see where i am painting.
only if i am satisfied with the result i keep on fleshing out the texture. trying different ideas with a rough texture is more efficient for me than tweaking on too many details. i don't want to fall in love with the work too quickly. too many details detract from feeling free to change everything if neccessary.
fleshing out, adding bounce light, reflections, highlights and player colour....
hope it helps.

Last edited by MFTituS : 04 April 2010 at 05:08 PM.

04 April 2010
WoW... nice work... nice texture...

04 April 2010
Great work! Love that game!

04 April 2010
That's just simply amazing texturing.. love it!
great work!

04 April 2010
Nice low poly characters. I also like the style.

04 April 2010
Very nice!
I love the personality, proportion and color. Very impressive in Zoe's smile.

It would be great to see more wireframe shots~

04 April 2010
Your textures are suberb, the characters are just splendid with such a low polygon budget. Could you describe your texturing process ? do you paint directly on your model ? do you bake some textures before painting like ambiant occlusion to get a better idea of texture UVs ? It should be great to learn more about this.
Fantastic job ! Congratulations.

04 April 2010
the lady looks so pretty, I love the style

04 April 2010
Thumbs up

MASS DESTRUCTION, I love this job, WONDERFUL

CONGRATULATIONS

04 April 2010
I'm sorry i had to double post, but the lady looks so beautiful I couldn't help but click the thread again, it would be nice if you'd post her entire image cause I'd love to see her fully completed

Last edited by imageen : 04 April 2010 at 12:20 PM.

04 April 2010
Truly Low Poly,

very nice.

04 April 2010
very nice work

04 April 2010
Great stuff!, I love it!

04 April 2010
Really nice textures !

Thread Closed share thread