Anatomy Drawing Dojo ! The way of the pencil.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
Hi Guys, I feel mighty sick today :( Hopefully will get better soon and so l can draw again.

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
Wow Peter, your stuff is great! Looking forward to seeing more. I couldn't resist your intro either haha!

Inform the master he has a new student!

My name is Andrew, I've taken a few drawing and art classes years ago and have been doodling ever since I could hold a pencil. I've attempted to teach myself figure drawing a few times and generally the results haven't stuck. Through lack of follow through I slow down and eventually go back to doodling. But now I've got a set goal in mind and I'm going to work to reach it. I am attempting to fuse those ethereal qualities of all great artists, the trinity of determination (my weakest link), desire and time. My current goal is a minimum of an hour a day. I likely won't pick out a book to copy from cover to cover until I get a firmer handle on my own drawing skills. But I do have a few comic books I love and will eventually attempt to draw from.

My Sketchbook

03 March 2010
Hi Andrew-san, welcome aboard! I have a message from the master, he told me I should let you in. Well, it was about time, you were sleeping in front of the Dojo in the snow for 3 nights in a row . He is very old school, I made a quick calligraphy of him while he wasn't watching, as you can see he is still using the brush instead of pencil

Anyway, its great to have a classmate . What are your favorite comic books?

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
Thursday 2 hours

Hi Guys, I am back. I entered the 7 circles of hell and fought the demons but I am back and stronger than before

Here are 2 hours from today. I will finish the head chapter soon, and as I believe it was the hardest one it should get much faster from here.

The top right guy reminds me of Sagat a lot, apparently the Capcom guys really used this book. Check out the huge difference between SF1 and SF2 games. I think Ive just fell in love with this anatomy book

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
Peter-san my favorite comic books at the moment as far as art is concerned are Transmetropolitan, Invincible and the Flight series, which is a compilation of a lot of graphic artists.

The heads are still looking great!

My Sketchbook

03 March 2010
Sounds cool, will check these out. Looking forward to your drawings

Friday 2 hours:

I have no Idea why did it take me 2 hours to draw 3 heads. Maybe because I am trying to draw in the morning and I was still sleeping Anyway the heads are over. It took me 16 hours to finish this chapter

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
You can find them in my sketchbook thread on this forum. This is your sketchbook so I'd rather not post my work here.

My Sketchbook

03 March 2010
I will check it out thanks As for this thread, it's by no means my sketchbook. My thread was moved here This is the Anatomy Dojo for all artists that would like to join

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
3D anatomy manikin

I have finished my 3D manikin today. I may go back to it and add more definition in the future. However I don't want to waste my time trying to perfectly rig him with smooth bind. I am thinking about creating another version and using solid objects and rigid bind. Basically fancier version of classic wooden manikin

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
Ah now I understand the Sifu, he speaks so cryptically, it takes time and meditation to fully understand. I am going to be working from Anatomy for the Artist by Jeno Barcsay

Here is today's work

My Sketchbook

03 March 2010
Great start Tasp . It's much more fun when there are more students in the Dojo We can share the cleaning of the wooden floor and raking the zen garden

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
I like your idea about the manikin. I was going to use my clay sculpture as my manikin for future references. I just cannot get into the 3d digital world yet.

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

03 March 2010
Thanks aggie93, I am not really happy with the result. Once I finish the new one I will post here so you can check it out The 3D manikin has some advantages as it is easy to change the lights and pose. However real sculpture would be definitely more cool

I am taking break from anatomy over the weekends. I am having fun with this great book, Fantasy Cartooning by Ben Caldwell:

www.3D.sk

03 March 2010
16 hours of work and it's daylight savings here in the states. I lose an hour of sleep in order to be up in another 6 hours to go back to work. I will have fresh drawings for the dojo once I return home from my morning shift.

Peter- The full male you drew looks like Hercules, mostly because of the muscles and the lion pelt (like that of the Nemean Lion that Hercules slayed as part of his trials) The rest of it looks cool, I especially like the cat musketeer.

My Sketchbook

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by Tasp: 16 hours of work and it's daylight savings here in the states. I lose an hour of sleep in order to be up in another 6 hours to go back to work. I will have fresh drawings for the dojo once I return home from my morning shift.

Peter- The full male you drew looks like Hercules, mostly because of the muscles and the lion pelt (like that of the Nemean Lion that Hercules slayed as part of his trials) The rest of it looks cool, I especially like the cat musketeer.

Oh my god. You shouldn't work that hard I hope you will get some good sleep today. As for the designs: Caldwell is really great, it is really relaxing to copy from his book. When I am copying anatomy it could be quite challenging but here I am just enjoying myself

www.3D.sk

Thread Closed share thread