"Papiroflexia" short film

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2007
"Papiroflexia" short film

I just finished a short film for school, titled "Papiroflexia" (Spanish word for "Origami"). It was animated on paper, then inked on paper and scanned. Composited in After Effects.

The character is based on a friend of mine, Fred, who is listed in the credits. The score was composed by Nick Fevola (awesome job man!). The final render is 1920x1080, so hopefully I'll burn it to HD sometime soon to take a look at it at full res.

I'd love some critiques, on the technical and story standpoints. It is done, but I might as well learn some more from it, so I hope to read some comments.

Watch in Quicktime: http://www.pixelnitrate.com/movie.p...ie=papiroflexia
Watch in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdxbIRkITBk
Direct download link: http://www.pixelnitrate.com/upload/papiroflexia_web.mov (Right click > Save as... 30Mb)

06 June 2007
I think this is an amazing work! Very beautiful, no - extremly beautiful! wow , man. I would like to know what kind of animation technique you used. just share your knowledge ;-)

06 June 2007
Thanks Serebryakov, I'm glad you liked it. So here's a bit more info on how it was done:

1. Pencil/paper storyboards and animation. Timed by using "MonkeyJam" (google it, it's free) using the xsheet from that program
2. Once animation was working, I did an animatic in After Effects using the pencil tests from MonkeyJam, and I fixed all the camera moves and such
3. Animation was cleaned up using a Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen, on new sheets
4. Batch scanned into Animo (a crappy 2d program, but good for scan/color)
5. Colored in Animo after color studies done in Photoshop
6. Exported those into TIFFs with alpha
7. Composited in After Effects.

The environments are sometimes with a 3D cam, and sometimes just simulated by panning at different speeds. The cars are a loop I created in a new composition and then nested several times in After Effects.

The landscape transitions are just masks with motion blur that reveal the other objects (applying the same mask, on one object as "add" and on the other as "substract").

And then the story, was based on a poem that I did a while back... originally I was to have the poem as a narration, but the idea got dropped since it felt unnecessary.

06 June 2007
Oh, all the colors on the characters where done flat... I just added a texture layer on overlay mode using the characters themselves as a mask (a plain b&W paper texture)... and in many parts animated the layer frame by frame to follow the characters, so that it doesn't feel like the texture is "behind".

The background textures are all Photoshopped in, before taking into After Effects. Most of them are just "overlay" layers, from different samples.

06 June 2007
i love your film Joaquin, i feel the story has a sence of peace and armony...

06 June 2007
Thumbs up

I Really like it.
It's beautiful!
You've told pepple with your imagination.

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by Serebryakov: I think this is an amazing work! Very beautiful, no - extremly beautiful! wow , man.
I have to agree with Serebryakov and all the others. Absolutely beautiful! I loved the ending where the guy turned himself into a bear..

06 June 2007
Wow!

Lovely story! I wish we could change our world like that!

Thanks!!

C-Ya
Vitor Vilela

06 June 2007
Brilliant..

06 June 2007
wow stylish, simple and sweet. i would love to be an eagle too! I like how the audio honks played on busy street.

06 June 2007
This is incredible work, brought a smile to my face hehe. The character's really likeable, and there's a great consistency to everything. Really well done!

06 June 2007
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments. Here's a little extra: a hi-res frame.

I'm not posting it here directly 'cause its big and nasty, so just click on the link to open it in a new window >>

1920x1080 render, to see the textures better

All the ink lines are 40% opaque, that is why there's that double-soft-edge thing to everything.

06 June 2007
nice! music was spot on... 5*

06 June 2007
great concept......... very inspirational....... i like it......

06 June 2007
Mate I've watched this sooo many times it's brilliant. I'm not usually one for no holds barred fanboyism without criticism but theres nothing that drags me out of this piece for even the briefest second.

The music works perfectly too.

The only thing I did wonder was what happens to all those people in the flats when he turns them into a mountain? And was there a family in that car he crushed and turned into an animal? Creating a perfect world at the expensive of killing everyone in it seems a little extreme.

I'm joking, of course. Congratulations on such a finished project.

Thread Closed share thread