Mansion At Dunakeszi, Ycon For Planit2000 (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
Mansion At Dunakeszi, Ycon For Planit2000 (2D)

Title: Mansion At Dunakeszi
Name: Ycon For Planit2000
Software: Photoshop 6.0

This is an architecural facade preview for a client at Planit2000 a hungarian architectural studio I currently work for.

Linework done in Rhino and Archicad.
Texturing and shading in Photoshop.

I'm really interested in improving the "lighting" of 2D plans like this.

Any tipps crits and tricks on making it more lively/realistic while remaining technical are welcomed.

>> Hi resolution image <<

08 August 2004
I really like it for the most part but I’m not sure what kind of texture you are using for the structural portion, is that some sort of patterned masonry? The only thing that bothers me is impressionistic styled landscape element. It looks a little muddy. I do like the lighting, it seems pretty successful giving is a 3d rendered look.

08 August 2004
thx for the comment.

It is cut stone structured in that random way, made up variale size slices.

Thx for the idea about the enviroment I'll try to do something different next time.
Maybe some scans of trees given a bit of manipulation in PS will do the job.

08 August 2004
Hi Addiso,Szia!

Kellemes es kelloen muszaki hangulatu munka. Probably some reflections on the glossy surfaces or different tones of colors instead of these locals could help to you. People are also needful to feel the rates of the building although they're don't used to appear on an ortho vievpoint, but sometimes. Environment is a bit low detalied. BTW I made some things like your images and i have to tell your works quality is high and well thought. Congratulations neighbour.

Viszlat es jo munkat,
Tremo

08 August 2004
Thx for the comment Tremoside !

My keyboard was busted and missing a few letters and so I'm replying now.

The proportions of the building never really show well on an ortho view like this
but some clients have a good sence of geometry so they and there are some who
have trouble understanding a perspective view.

I think it's a good idea that you mentioned reflections I'm gonna try those next time around,
and as you said give some atention to the detail of the background.

By the way I liked your "fembot" those prostetic limbs are well designed. I see you are a Cinema 4d user just like pupi. Wonder why I never heard much of it, considering how many of my fellow countymen use it.

Jó munkát neked is !

08 August 2004
perfect

just perfect good job

11 November 2004
I do this kind of work aswell, but I usually work a lot more with the glass. Most of the times, the clients like to see thier buildings (with lots of glass) like light and airy creations. You've just gone for black holes, and I think it looks a bit.. dull and dark. Glass is very reflective actually!

The texturing of the stone facade is really nice, but the roof looks a bit flat. It looks like it is a sloping roof, but i think the texturing makes it look flat in a weird way.

It's a bit hard to get the depth right in all the places. In some places, the drop shadows work well, but in other places it gets a bit cluttered. One thing I'd like to suggest is using varied line-thickness. It's amazing how much depth can be achieved by doing that!

Overall I'd say you did a good job though. The colors work well together!

11 November 2004
thx for the comments

Thx for the reply and the insightfull comments.

Yes I work with reflective glass too nowadays I usuly do a gradient and multiply a photo of the suroundings over it to make it a bit realistic.

Speaking of the shadows I usally just do them by eyeballing and I don't spend too much time making them phisically correct.

Great idea about line weights !!!

Do you highlight the stuff closer to you in heavier lines or do you just
thicken certain lines troughout the image ?

Hope to hear from you, see ya.

11 November 2004
Smile Mansion At Dunakeszi

I really like this piece. It has a great sense of design. The muted colours are impressive. I also like the hint of a background, where the green perfectly contrasts with the earthy tones of the building.

03 March 2005
I dont like the green bushes on the sides. It makes it too digital. Put more efford in the green stuff .

08 August 2005
I wouldn't be so bothered about the bushes: sketchy surroundings are an established convention in architecture images.

This is a good illustration as it is, but I think the people griping about the dark windows do have a point. Also, the shadows look believable, but they give an impression of an overcast day. I think a sunny day with crisp shadows wouldbe a bit cheerier, like in this one:

(Dug this up with Google)

08 August 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread