Frequenter

portfolio
Joep van Putten
CTO
Stynn.net
near 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to Chuppa
Notebook: NEC P550

I'm doing this image for a challenge at another forum. The topic was to model and render your / a computer. I decided to model my notebook, the NEC P550.

Now the deadline for the challenge is over, I'm working on it as a personal project. Here's the challenge entry, below are wip images of the parts I'm working on:

Last edited by Chuppa : 08-07-2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update

Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Haz-Mat
Sleep Deprived

portfolio
Taylor Mathews
Photographer/Graphic Designer
Savannah College of Art and Design
Pelham, USA

Send a message via MSN to Haz-Mat
I dont see anything to crit on, Great job.
Could we see a render o the back. Thank you.

Haz-Mat

Old 08-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Chuppa
Frequenter

portfolio
Joep van Putten
CTO
Stynn.net

Thanks for the comment. The voting for the challenge is now in progress. You can see the other entries here.

I am now working on the parts that weren't visible in the challenge image (back, sides, bottom). Here are some wires and the back that I'm working on:

Thanks for viewing.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
Haz-Mat
Sleep Deprived

portfolio
Taylor Mathews
Photographer/Graphic Designer
Savannah College of Art and Design
Pelham, USA

Send a message via MSN to Haz-Mat
It looks as if the back will turn out as good as the fron turned out. Also I think yours was the best of the three in the challange, good job .

Haz-Mat

Old 08-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Bogged
Gerder

Bog Gerd
Harlem, USA

Send a message via MSN to Bogged
In the last picture in your last post, look at the hole on the right. Now look at its edges. They're way too smooth when compared to the edges of the hole to the left of it, which are correct.

Good luck!

Cheers
Gerd

Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Chuppa
Frequenter

portfolio
Joep van Putten
CTO
Stynn.net

You're right; the left is the shell modifier while the right is an extrude border. I'll fix it soon.
Thanks for commenting.

EDIT: Update. The back is almost done now.

Last edited by Chuppa : 08-05-2006 at 12:15 AM.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Chuppa
Frequenter

portfolio
Joep van Putten
CTO
Stynn.net

The backside is now complete. The slightly overlit render doesn't show off all the detail but it'll do for now. I'll be working on the left side now, which has somewhat harder casing, but easier connections.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
amcmanness
Aaron McManness
Dayton, USA

Hey nice looking notebook! I have been following this thread for a few days now as I am trying to figure out the best way to go about modeling computer ports/connections. How did you cut out all the holes in 'back01.jpg'? The only thing I can think of would be a Boolean but for some reason it doesn't seem like the best way. Did you then model each connection separately and then put them in place? Any insight into your process or tips would be appreciated, thanks. Keep up the good work!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Chuppa
Frequenter

portfolio
Joep van Putten
CTO
Stynn.net

Thanks for your comment amc. I used boxmodeling with smoothing for the bottom part of the notebook with all the holes it it. The smoothing creates nice smooth corners and edges so the model still looks good from up close.

Here's the non-smoothed wire of the backside (click for a larger view):

It's got a few 5-sided polygons, but they're not visible when smoothed so I'm not going to add even more edges if it isn't necessary (especially the cooling rib area is annoying in that sense).

All ports are modeled seperately, then positioned where they belong. I tried to maintain the same division in seperate parts as the real thing - that way, things like slight chamfering of edges between different parts will be visible.

Here are the svideo and usb ports:

As you can see they're quite detailed, but if you look at the usb you can see that not everything is modeled exactly like the real thing. That's because I'll never get so close to the model it will be visible, and modeling things like the bending and edges of sheet metal (for instance on the outside of the usb port) is incredibly hard and useless if no one is ever going to notice it anyway.

You can always use booleans if you like, but I think they're rather annoying as they usually mess up the mesh real bad. The only time when you should consider using booleans IMO is at the end after having meshsmooth applied, and you need to add one or two complex details that are near impossible to boxmodel.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
amcmanness
Aaron McManness
Dayton, USA

Wow, thanks a lot. That was a really helpful post. I was experimenting at first and tried to cut out one of the holes using a Boolean, but you're right, it messed up the mesh. Don't why I didn't think of box-modeling and smoothing. Anyways, thanks again, I truly appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread