(WIP) Young Japanese Female - New

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Smile (WIP) Young Japanese Female - Even Newer

<- "Previous Render"

I took a look from a "bottom" camera view. Looking up from below, and seen that while "her" lips and chin look good from the side & front views. They look bad from below. Reason I'm concerned with that view is to check make sure it doesn't look horrid if "she" has to look upwards.. into the sky. The lips aren't curved/rounded, but more like a mountain with peaks, and valleys. Same way with the chin. Looks more like an anthill, or a "beak" than a chin & lips.

So.. I'm going back "basics". Starting over on the face, but leaving the body alone.. for now. Perhaps even going back to my original "intent/inspiration" Anime & Comics..

Especially since it's hard to find ref. photos that would be good for both front & side views.
Usually there's some kinda smile, 7/8ths side view, or head tilted up/down without paying a monthly fee to a photo site. That and sometimes, the people's pics that DO match the 1st criteria, don't really look the way I want the model to look. So, I figured that if I can't FIND reference pics, I'll make 'em by drawing them. Which made me realize that I need to take a lil' "refresher course" on drawing.

Here's the result of that drawing refresher course:

The model that's come from that so far.. Although, there's like 2 "realism" renders, and an anime/toon one:

Still trying to see what "looks best/feels right"..

Last edited by kenshinw95 : 01 January 2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more new stuff added - See below.

06 June 2006
Sup

Nice start, My advice is to not wait too long to start the body, you wouldn't want to get the head all perfect to find that it looks funny when you put it on the body.

She looks pretty Japonese to me, but her nose might be a little flatter.

The hair, sucks about the hair being just for stills. What program are you using?

I find that when modeling hair you want to think about it as a collection of a few large masses rather than individual blades. If you are imulating a comicbook style hair should actually have pretty sharp edges, although since your using a toon shader maybe that doesn't matter.

I'll keep checking back
S

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by lemonyfresh: Nice start, My advice is to not wait too long to start the body, you wouldn't want to get the head all perfect to find that it looks funny when you put it on the body.

Oh, I was trying to complete from the neck up before I started on the rest, 'cause
I thought it might be weird to have everything from the neck down one "style" & from the neck up another.

Originally Posted by lemonyfresh: She looks pretty Japonese to me, but her nose might be a little flatter.
Thanks. By flatter I guess you mean shove it "inwards". Move it in the Y direction, right? Hope so, because that's what I did. Along with reworking the colors, shading, the eyebrows & lashes, around the lips, eyes, and nose.
As seen here:
It may look similar, but that's how seamlessly I was able to make the changes.

Originally Posted by lemonyfresh: The hair, sucks about the hair being just for stills. What program are you using?
Blender.

Originally Posted by lemonyfresh: I find that when modeling hair you want to think about it as a collection of a few large masses rather than individual blades. If you are imulating a comicbook style hair should actually have pretty sharp edges, although since your using a toon shader maybe that doesn't matter.
I'll keep checking back
S

I kinda want to be able to have the hair be able to "fall" more naturally than most CG/Video Game hair. Although, maybe that's the way it has to be. So that it doesn't take any army of computers to animate.

I was kinda thinking about switching hairstyles yet again.
To something more along the lines of my original sketch of "her". As seen in my edited post above. Or maybe something along the lines of the woman on the far right of this pic:

06 June 2006
This is kind of an update.. I showed my sketch to the people in the Blender chatroom,
and I guess it's better than I thought. Since one of them is working on his own 3D model of this 2D sketch of mine.
Should I be flattered in that it inspired him to do his own version, or what?

07 July 2006
thx for your comments about my girl
i love toon style too , it ususlly have big eyes~ small nose and mouth,and smooth face.....
and i think your girl have a little proportion problem
play up~

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by tbb519519: thx for your comments about my girl
i love toon style too , it ususlly have big eyes~ small nose and mouth,and smooth face.....
and i think your girl have a little proportion problem
play up~

You are quite welcome. I like to let people know when their stuff looks good.
I'm a stickler for quality. I get kind of irritated when I see below average quality in professional projects
such as TV shows, and video games. Irritated that they their work does not look Professional, and are probably
paid quite a good salary for something that is not that much better than 50% of the computer graphics
beginners. (It might also be a touch of jealousy, or envy since I don't have a job like theirs.)

I'm not going EXACTLY for Anime style, but the coloring/shading of some of the better comic/manga covers.

Even within Anime there are times where characters break the the big eyes small mouth "rule".
Like as in Record of Lodoss Wars:
Basically, I've gathered that the "exception" is that when the character isn't cute,
perky, or otherwise light hearted then the big eye rule doesn't apply. So, that is
why my female character does not have the big eyes of most Anime, and Manga.

Last edited by kenshinw95 : 07 July 2006 at 04:55 AM.

07 July 2006
Nice start nice style cant wait to see an update.
Male Mercenary
Female Mercenary

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by hoodedpython: Nice start nice style cant wait to see an update.

Thanks. It's good to know that the months of experimenting with different modeling
methods, and shaders have paid off. I also kinda wanted to weigh all my options before committing to one. I've been really busy with errands & tasks for my parents' as well as my friends. So, I haven't had much time to update my model. At least not that can be instantly visible. I'm trying to clean up some of the stray, unnecessary polys, as well as figure out how to improve the looks of the hair without making it higher poly than the entire head.
Or at least seem like it.

07 July 2006
Question

Is it better to just edit my original post & put the updates in there, or put the updates in a new posting like this?

07 July 2006
Do both, then you can't go wrong.

My only suggestion is if you want to do smaller realistic eyes then bring them a little closer together.

Keep up the hard work.

07 July 2006
Alright. I had small, thin, closer eyes before, but many said that it made her look European.
So, after looking at many photos of Japanese girls I realized their eyes were wider than average,
but nowhwere near what's protrayed in the majority of Anime & Manga.

I was messing around with the hair's structure, and added a little braided section to the hair. Since many in my program's community said the hair looks like a purple cloth/blanket. I also worked on UV unwrapping
the hair to ready it for painting. A little unsure as to what texture size the hair map should be, but I'll be
experimenting on it.

Last edited by kenshinw95 : 07 July 2006 at 04:57 AM.

07 July 2006
I'm messing around with the hair's structure once again, because I don't think the previous one would provide that much flexibilty for animating the hair.

Such as flowing in the breeze, shaking her head either "yes", or "no", doing a roundhouse kick, etc. So, I thought if I broke it up into almost unattached segments, that maybe it'll provide that mobility, and freedom that I desire. I'm not expecting Pixar/Dreamworks quality animation, but I don't want her hair to have that "plastic helmet" look that's common in many CG animated "toons" on TV, and some "current gen" video games.
Test Render here:

I know the middle section's bald, but it's a TEST to see what it would look like stationary. I'd prefer it to look good stationary AND in motion rather than cruddy stationary, but great in motion, or vice versa. Oh yeah, I also worked on the lips some to remove that "I just bit into something putrid" look.

07 July 2006
First off, I've been trying like crazy to get a decent texture for the hair model, but it just didn't seem to want to cooperate. One of my attempts even made her hair look like tree bark.

So, I figured since I was having so much trouble giving the hair the look of strands, and since a new version of the 3D program I use came out recently. I thought why not go back to trying to make the hair out of strands/particle hair, again. One of the updates enables the particle hair to be used in animation, unlike before when it was limited to just portraits. They also must've refined the controls some.. Either that, or I was "accidentally" able to understand it better.

Without futher ado here's a screenshot of my WIP:

What do you think? Am I finally on the right track, or what?

07 July 2006
Well, I've done more work on her hair, and it's really starting to actually look very close to the "concept sketch" I posted as part of my very 1st post. I wouldn't say I have mastery over that part of the part of the program, yet. Just a good sense of what could/should happen given the commands I give it.

Here's the latest render of my character w/hair:

Oh, and the reason why there's so many white boxes w/red X's is that I don't want the image hosting site to complain that I'm hogging too much of its' free storage space. So, I frequently delete older images to make way for newer ones. In fact, I accidentally deleted a couple that I later realized I needed since they were in use here. Sorry 'bout that..

08 August 2006
Well, the further I delved into the particle system. The better the hair looked such as here:

That's the good part. The bad part is those mysterious bald spots, and getting the hair to
look like the picture required some very INTENSIVE calculations which practically brought my
PC to its' knees. Seriously, when I was rendering that picture. The picture went haywire, and then went totally black. Like the program crashed my computer. Then after about, what seemed like, 7-10 minutes, that rendered picture showed up. So, either I go with the less intensive, less smooth hair, or go back to what I was doing before the particle system.

That one renders within the blink of an eye. Well, maybe 2 blinks, but it's REALLY fast. So, that could be more "animation friendly" than the particle system.

Last edited by kenshinw95 : 01 January 2007 at 08:53 AM.

Thread Closed share thread