Anatomy Thread of Womball - 2D/3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Anatomy Thread of Womball - 2D/3D

Hello there! I'm going to be entering my Senior year at University of the Arts. I'm an animation major, so I am not new to drawing. However I do need to improve my skills a bit since soon I will have to make several demo reels. I want to make an animation demo reel, a modeling demo reel and finish my senior thesis animation (I have all of next year for that). I want to try to get an animation demo reel and this model finished over the summer.

I'm happy to finally start an anatomy study thread here. I just started learning anatomy in some detail in Figure Sculpture class. I find it really fun and confusing at the same time. I am aiming to continue studying it and eventually be able to memorize the visible superficial muscles. In the thread I will be working on a full body male anatomy study in 3d cg (blender, zbrush, and XSI most likely). I also want to experiement with Zsketch and OpenCanvas for sketching. I may practice some full scale drawings as well. The overall theme will be humans and animals.

Here is the start of my male anatomy muscle study. I will add muscles (striations included), tendons and veins in zbrush. By the end of the modelling it should look like a Body World exhibit. I started this earlier this week.

Last edited by Womball : 06 June 2006 at 05:37 AM.

06 June 2006
Welcome, Womball!

I suggest you find some ref images of, erm, naked men or something to help you correct he anatomical mistakes in this one. Memorise the bones and muscles of human body, but hey, you know that you need to do that Some mistakes, like the clavicle, it doesn't go down, I don't see no deltoids, pectoralis major doesn't end sharp and things like that. I know it's just the start, but just to tell that it's not perfect yet

06 June 2006
Thanks for the tips! I will be looking up more images from 3d sk soon. I know this needs a ton of work! One thing I'm not sure about is if I should model in the T pose or in the anatomical pose. In the T pose the Delatoids are contracted, and are a different shape. I'm also combining different references so it doesn't look like one person. I want a made up realistic human to work with. :-) So the proportions may be off. Any suggestions in proportions would be extremely helpful.

06 June 2006
Hi....Womball....Glad to see your thread up... ....I don't know zip about 3D...Just started playing with Z BRUSH a couple of months ago. I found that what I learned from Burne Hogarth
years ago when I was fortunate enough to have him as a teacher, has been very valuble to me
as far as Z BRUSH and sculpture goes....his method of seeing the human form is perfect for
doing sculpture....he learned his method and aproach to the human figure from the greatest
sculptor that ever was...Michelanglo...I think it would greatly help you and your sculpture, if
you got his anatomy books...found on the internet...would make your task a lot easier for sure.
Great to see your figure in progress..I don't understand half of what you are talking about, but
I am starting to understand it more than I did a couple of months ago..LOL
Thanks for visiting my thread and trying to explain this new 3D mystery to this old dog. I might be able to learn a few new tricks, just by observeing your work in progress, so keep
posting...PLEASE...REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MORE

TAKE CARE
Glenn

06 June 2006
Smile

Womball,

Great to see your thread up and running!

I did a review of your model so far, I hope this helps:

I second the advice to join 3D.sk for anatomical reference, it's the best out there in terms of Orthographic Ref for 3D modelers.
Also you should be aware of the Body Topology Thread which Steven runs (it's a Sticky in the Maya Forum I believe). You may wish to post your model there as well for questions that are more 3D specific, as concerns posing and binding and the like.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
@ Rebeccak- Now that's the type of crits I like seeing. Straight to the point! The drawn crits are the most helpful I think. I actually do have a membership at 3d.sk so I will download more references tonight. :-) I have been focusing on the head the most, so its good nothing stands out on it. I have been studying the topology thread in the modeling section. I think that's Stahlberg's as well. I hope to have the back modeled tonight or tomorrow.

@Spirit dreamer- I will try to explain it better, it can get complex. Michaelangelo wrote books too? What are they called?

06 June 2006
Today's updates: I completed the back, and started forming the limbs. I detailed the front a bit as well (that's where most of the time went in today's update. I am still using default materials but I added 3 more area lights and added color to all of them. I also changed Ambient Occulusion to Subtract rather than add so I need more lights for this to work. If this is distracting I can remove the lights. I'm having difficulty with the back and butt though. Also the genital fold of the front of the torso could use some more tweaking. I find it kind of hard to understand the shapes there. I'm using a new reference person from 3d.sk named Peter. Btw I'm using blender still to model the base mesh. I'm using the Sub-D modifier which alllows me to easily revert between Sub-d's and poly's. Sub-d's render nicer in the engines generally. Much smoother. I will take it into zbrush and pull out all of the tendons and attachment points, and define the muscles and striations there. I'm most likely going to paint in zbrush as well. I'm aiming for an XSI render for the final output.

06 June 2006
Womball,

When modeling the exterior of the human form, it is crucial to understand what is going on beneath the surface. This means studying what the bones, muscles, and tendons look like beneath the surface of the skin.

The main thing that you need to use and become familiar with is anatomical reference. There are many reference sources available here on the forum, but here is just one of them which I think you will find useful:

http://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlas...lateindex.shtml

Reference for Anatomical and Figurative Art

I most definitely advise purchasing a few Anatomy Books:

Anatomy Resources : BOOKS
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257424

Also, I think a better 3D artist has skill with 2D drawing and painting. Do you have any examples of 2D work? 2D Drawing will give you a grasp of Anatomy really necessary for 3D modeling. I would encourage you to purchase one or more Anatomy Books and to copy the work in pencil or pen in a sketchbook. This is a much cheaper and faster way to understand form than it is to model form in 3D.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
Actually I will be modeling the underlying areas as well. I have a wacom board as well. I just don't own Painter or version of Photoshop on my current computer. I can't draw very well without pressure sensitivity and none the programs I have, have it. The lines have little variation and this is kind of distracting for me. Its kind like drawing with a pen. I just heard about OpenCanvas, and I may purchase ArtRageX. Do they have pressure sensitivity? I do want to do additional studies so I will probably check out your references tomorrow. Hopefully I can create some portfolio quality 2d pieces soon too. :-)

I might be able to upload a few of my anatomy sketches from class tomorrow, they are notes from the class though. I really haven't done too many detailed anatomy studies yet, drawing wise. As for the model, I haven't really focused as much as I would like on form. I want to work on filling out the rest of the figure, and gradually refining all of the shapes and topology.

http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/Reality_page07.htm

This reference is awesome! Are they real muscles? They seem to have some sort of protective plastic on the tendons. I will update tomorrow using this reference for corrections! The butt will be corrected as will a lot of other areas. I think I may be able to use the muscle striation flow for topology flow.

Last edited by Womball : 06 June 2006 at 07:23 AM.

06 June 2006
Hi.....Womball....Burne Hogarth learned by studying Michelanglo...
His books on the human figure are

DYNAMIC ANATOMY
DYNAMIC FIGURE DRAWING
DRAWING THE HUMAN HEAD
DRAWING DYNAMIC HANDS
DYNAMIC LIGHT AND SHADE
DYNAMIC WRINKLES AND DRAPERY

What he has to offer goes beyond bacic anatomy....which is the easy part by the way..

TAKE CARE
Glenn

06 June 2006
Hiya Womball,

I actually think you would be better off doing Anatomy Studies with real pencil, and not Photoshop, Painter, or other program.

Check out the work of DoctorBone, who works Traditionally doing Anatomy Studies all the time. These types of studies are highly useful and I think are the best way to go in terms of learning the figure.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
Hi womball,

welcome and now you are in the trap of the anatomy threads, hehe. I find it very difficult to model things in 3D, even if there are good blueprints. It is a great job you approach, but if you get this I think it will be a high improvement to follow the suggestion of Rebecca.

Have a lot of fun!

Ciao,
Ellie

06 June 2006
I hope this new photobucket rule doesn't prevent me from showing work. I don't know how else I'm going to show work to the genital region. They are the midpoint of the anatomy which helps with proportions.

06 June 2006
Womball,

There are other Image Hosting options, but personally I liked Photobucket the best. It's a shame, really. I'm not sure what they would consider nudity as regards Anatomical Drawings ~ but it's best to play it safe, I think. I am looking into other solutions.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
I guess I will have to use a black card for the front or a blur. Hopefully they won't block images of the butt. I am not sure if this is considered nudity there.

Thread Closed share thread