Beginners' Lounge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006

little bit of vaule touch_up.
fall in love with horse. next time i'll try horse itself.
good luck everybody and have fun...

03 March 2006
nice drawing there.... hope i could be like you but i tink i suck...

Last edited by Fusioniz : 03 March 2006 at 12:20 PM.

03 March 2006
hey everybody, it's great to see you guys have improved alot . Bec, i've been working hard nowadays hehe doing practice from my book collection and dvd's. I mainly focus on the figure, shape and proportion but i must say that i'm tempted to learn about some other things such as perspective and light. I did learn about them ocassionally when i'm taking a break, just for variation . wow never thought that light, shades and perspective could be that complicated, it takes me a while to get the hang of it and keep the courage to learn about them, but i'm sure that it will pay off one day hehe. some of the learning material that i've just got are hogarth's Dynamic light and shade ( I was so happy when i found this book in the nearby used-book store, never seen this anywhere else ), and fortunately my friend is nice enough to lend me his vilppu dvd about direct and indirect lighting. so yeah, in between of my hectic job hunting process, i try to do at least 2-3 hours drawing work-out everyday. thats my update, thought you might want to know haha. I will scan some of my sketch & works later on this day and put them together to be posted. cheers

03 March 2006
Hello everybody, I've been working on my 'centaur vs snake-thingie' painting. I've tried to make the figures more dynamic and the composition more interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

03 March 2006
Talking

sturm,

Nice work with the values!

DK,

Good to see you back, and I'd like to see your work! Best of luck to you with your job search!

Maladie,

Below is a paintover movie which I hope helps. I think you really need to focus on Gesture, and the best way to do this is to try some of the Gesture Exercises posted to the beginning of this thread.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Cool Rebecca, I'm gonna try that!

03 March 2006
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and am glad I found a thread like this! I don't know if it's too late to join in but I will anyway . Firstly my background, when I was a child (I'm coming up for 18 now) I was really into drawing cartoons and comics but when I became a teenager I stopped drawing altogether. I do go to art college but it's a multimedia course that doesn't do much to train us with our drawing.

I'd really like to become a good digital artist but I have recognised that I need to work on my traditional skills alot.

I am currently reading Figure Drawing for all it's worth, this is my first drawing from it, using Loomis' proportions and manequin technique. This took about 50 mins as I built it up from a full manequin (you might still be able to see my lines).

The next few pictures are from my only ever life drawing class, this was very helpful to me but was also quite a while ago. We weren't given a long time to do any of the drawings. Most of the drawings wouldnt fit in my scanner so I can't show some of the better ones :( Also sorry about the dirty scans, these were done on scrap paper in a dirty studio!

I will keep practicing and participate in threads like this! Critisism on these pictures would be great too!

03 March 2006
Talking

fallofmart,

Welcome aboard! It's great to see you getting started ~ the key to drawing is QUANTITY. As such, I won't be critiquing individual drawings here as much as encouraging you to do more of them. I really recommend trying some of the Exercises linked to the first page / first post of this thread. Post your results here, and we'll take a look.

It's nice to hear about your background, and I look forward to seeing your progress here!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Smile

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: fallofmart,

Welcome aboard! It's great to see you getting started ~ the key to drawing is QUANTITY. As such, I won't be critiquing individual drawings here as much as encouraging you to do more of them. I really recommend trying some of the Exercises linked to the first page / first post of this thread. Post your results here, and we'll take a look.

It's nice to hear about your background, and I look forward to seeing your progress here!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Thanks for the welcome, I actually have a fair bit of spare time lately so I will look at your exercises and then come back to show you what I've done! (Although it might not be until the end of next week as I am busy for a while).

03 March 2006
Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while . . just droping by to see what is happening here Lately im doing anatomy study , drawing references of bones and muscles, and i must say that it helped me alot with drawing ! I dont have a scanner at home :( really wanted to post it for some comments =/ Maybe ask one for my birthday

Anyway, rebeccak, i wanted to ask if you got a collection of links of all the tutorials that you have posted, or do I just have to use the search function and fill ur name in the search options

thnx in advance, keep up the nice work all

03 March 2006
Talking

fallofmart,

No problem! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Calvin_C,

Heya, can't wait to see your stuff! As for Tutorials, check out this thread:

Tutorials, Workshops, Anatomy Reviews & More ... [links within]
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273525

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
So, after studying and drawing some very basic sceleton anatomy last night, this day I tried to draw a very basic head in front view. Well, the stuff around the head was just for fun
I think the face is a bit too long, isnīt it? I saw a lot of drawings just done with a few lines. But itīs so hard to match them correctly. Lips, noses, eyes and so on... so much to read and learn but itīs fun to do it

So hereīs my first real try of a head:

No shading done yet. Of course, I first need to learn it. I wanted to look him a bit arrogant. The lower part of the nose drove me crazy. It always looks wrong so i feel a bit ashamed to show it.
So what do you think about this head? What is bad or completely wrong?

Thanks a lot
André

Last edited by ACantarel : 03 March 2006 at 03:48 PM.

03 March 2006
Talking

ACantarel,

Nice work here! I agree that the face may be slightly long / narrow but it doesn't bother me a lot.

With respect to the nose, I think one of the best ways to learn how to draw generally is to copy from Master Paintings and Sculptures ~ here are some closeups of Michelangelo's David ~ I recommend trying some drawings of the nose from different angles ~ why not also draw your own nose from the mirror, from various angles? Observation from life is another one of the best ways to learn to draw.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Thank you for the comment and the images for drawing of noses.
Iīm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of threads here regarding to shading and anatomy. Letīs see where to start reading

Cheers,

André

03 March 2006
Talking

ACantarel,

No worries, take your time.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com