The Comic Strip: BREAK

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
The Comic Strip: BREAK

Hey y'all.

I started a comic recently which isn't quite normal fare for cgtalk. Modern-day setting, all about social interactions. It's like an indie film.

I know my art is... well, to call it unrefined, or rough, would be an understatement. At this point, my whole goal is to actually get the story told, and then go back and pretty it up. As such, I'm not inking or coloring or photoshopping any of the pages, besides tiny paint fixes and word bubbles. Because of this, the comic will be a little ugly at times, but if you like the story, please read on. I'd love comments.

PLEASE NOTE:
THE COMIC CONTAINS SOME (NON-EXPLICIT) NUDITY, SEX, AND GENERAL ADULT SITUATIONS. YOU ARE FOREWARNED.

The UI-less website for the comic is http://break.complexdream.com/. I'll probably be updating that page more regularly than this one, so keep that in mind. Eventually I'll make a proper page for it, but for now, simple html list.

Without further adieu, the first 8 pages of Break. As of this writing, I'm up to 22 pages, so visit the website if you want to read more.

03 March 2006
Recently, I've had some appreciation for comics that go a step further and really floor you. I applaud you for daring to step ouside the sitcom formula and really take personal issues head on. I just hope you draw more soon so I can continue reading it. The story is moving along good. The pencils are kinda sloppy but it tells the story and thats the most important part of comics.
Sean White - Programmer

03 March 2006
Thanks, smackbringer. I know that this comic is emo with a capital E, but whatever, it's something I need to get out. Right now I'm doing about a page per day, and post them up at http://break.complexdream.com/. I'll try and post up copies here, too.

03 March 2006

In case you can't tell, the last one is supposed to be her curled up in bed, and the sheets forming this sort of broken glass pattern. I like the idea, but after 5 tries, seem wholly incapable of executing it. That said, I was getting stuck on that one page, and needed to move on before losing momentum, so there you go.

03 March 2006

And that's all I've done for now. Will post more once I make them.

03 March 2006
I dig it man. Read up to date the stuff on your page. I like where it is going, keep up the good work and Ill keep on readin'

03 March 2006
i definitely like this man, i'll be heading over to your site to start reading the rest, keep up the good work

edit: i guess i should've just seconded robw720, but my comment still applies!

Last edited by redjesus : 03 March 2006 at 02:56 AM. Reason: redundancy

03 March 2006
Hi there!

I like the story and especially the dialogues. Witty, believable and helping the story. Connected to this, I do like the characters you came up with, too.

There are also things I'd like to point out, though.
The panel with the second sex scene was a bit awkward (the doggy-style position), because it makes you think that the exact position is an important piece of information, while in truth it's rather the information that they were having sex at all - even if portraying a kind of impersonal or un-intimate way of having sex was the point you were trying to get across I think it would have been the better choice to show two faces and a bit of the upper torsos from the front in order to focus on the emotions rather than the position.

Also, I don't know what tools you are using, but I am missing inked lines bad, man.
Get yourself some digital ink or real-life counter-part ( ) and ink away at it. Will improve the overall presentation of your story by multitudes.

So, looking forward to updates - please keep posting them in this thread, too, as I am...*subscribes*.... subscribed right now!

03 March 2006
Lordy. What a day. Drove down to San Diego for dinner with a friend who was in from New York, then drove back here, and found my house had been broken into. Gah. Not that happy with this next page artwise, but really, I'm not happy with ANY of them artwise. Just trying to tell the story.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Mr. Mu, I completely agree about the inking -- however, this idea is horribly marred by the fact that I am a grade-A dunce about inking. I tried inking a couple pages, to ghastly results. I was just really unhappy with the loss of detail in my drawings, as they don't have that much detail to begin with. Plus, I was drawing over my only copy, so.. no undos. I plan on going back and cleaning stuff up at some point, but for right now, it's like... eh, I already drew that comic, I don't want to go back and trace it.

One day! This will not be quite so hideous! But.. for right now, just have to keep up momentum. I think it'd take a lot of effort to get any of these where I wanted them to be, artwise, and that would take a lot of wind out of my sails. Better to hold off for now, says I. But thank you for your comments.

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: I tried inking a couple pages, to ghastly results. I was just really unhappy with the loss of detail in my drawings, as they don't have that much detail to begin with. Plus, I was drawing over my only copy, so.. no undos. I plan on going back and cleaning stuff up at some point, but for right now, it's like... eh, I already drew that comic, I don't want to go back and trace it.

I see.

Unfortunately my linework could make milk go sour when exposed to it, but(!)... there's more than one thread around this place about comic/sequential art and the whole place is filled with talented or just enthusiastic people. And as it is fairly normal to break up the steps into drawings and inking between more than only one artist it would be like completely the pro way of doing things if you looked for a team partner for the ink lines.

Just watch out that you don't mention "tracing" to them...

keep it up.

03 March 2006
don't mean to spam your thread, but I am sorry to hear your flat was broken into. I hope you still feel comfortable in it, though.

03 March 2006
Wow, great comic. Love the story. It will be great to follow your progress!

I really like the dialogue. Very catching.

...and I also like the dialogue font. What is it called?

03 March 2006
Yeah, I would like to ink it and shade or color it at some point, so I am saving it for later, after I do more, and get better at it. It's a skill I'd like to have, but... yeah. Like I said, this is a super-rough first pass.

Oh, and the font is called DigitalStrip, I downloaded it for free from Blambot.com.

03 March 2006
Talking

Wow, this is really good and keeps getting better. Didn't know you had posted here, glad to have found your thread. How long have you been cooking up this story?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Hey Rebecca!

I've only had the story in my head about a month, month and a half. I came up with it on my walkabout. It's an incredibly reworked and allegorical working-through of various crap that happened in my life at different points. Nobody actually killed themselves in any way but metaphorically.

And, answering a previous comment -- yeah, I know the sex scene is maybe a little gratuitous, but the whole point of it is that it's purely physical and temporary. As such, it involves their bodies more than their faces, because they're not showing any emotions. Lina does some questionable stuff, and I don't want to shy away from it.

So, without further adieu, another page:

Thread Closed share thread