"Spectacular" battle WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
"Spectacular" battle WIP

Hello,

Since I really like how the elements are progressing in this image, I am going to see it to completion even though the "Spectacular" challenge timeframe has passed. The new aim is to make it into the Expos 4 book . My new deadline is Monday, 27th February 2006.The original thread is here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...highlight=diego

So far, this is what its looking like -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7799_1132816215_large[1].jpg (96.8 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg pan_008_DVA.jpg (94.7 KB, 209 views)

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S
/ Spectacular + WIP / Steampunk

12 December 2005
Keep it up!

I do know youre talented and focused enough to achieve whatever you set your heart on doing!

12 December 2005
Shield image test

Hi Cintia! That really means a lot to me coming from you! Thanks ! Ok, that one already made my day .

This image is just a progress image, I modeled and textured a shield. I'll try and keep these updates as frequent as possible. The new mentality is "a bit every day" instead of "a weekend of hell". hehe I'm testing the way that this wip server part works, not quite sure how people put their links inline like I have been seeing around here, and in the Spectacular challenge part, as well. Testing the "insert image" button...

Seems to work .

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

12 December 2005
Lightbulb general concept idea

Ok, for your newcomers to this thread, this is basically what I eventually set out to do in the challenge. So now I have the turtle almost there (still need the tail), still need to texture, rig and pose the queen, and I have a basic enemy figure which I still need to build on. I sketched his fur straight onto his skin, but I still want to add some realistic fur on top of that. Might use this image as a test for Renderman (for Maya as well as the pro server version), since usually any fur that's worth a damn is rendered in Renderman. Also, my poor computer isn't quite liking the amount of polys the image is starting to get at, but I've heard that this is exactly what renderman likes. We'll see.. Well, this is the sketch:

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

12 December 2005
Soldier sketch

This is the next step, before I finish any of the previous fronts that I started. I want to block everything out first before detailing even more what's there already. So now I'm going to start modeling this guy.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

12 December 2005
battle lance

I thought that I would start with the simpler parts of the soldier to warm um to the character modeling once again. This is sort of a fouchard that I came up with- a mixture of axe, lance, and hook. It would probably be pretty useful in the battlefield. There is no texturing, I just mapped an env ball to the color just to get an idea. The texturing should make it a lot darker, ornate (sort of like the shield), and dirty with blood and grime.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

12 December 2005
Everything looks good, only thing I would say is that the shield looks too ornate and detailed for the simplicity of the naked satyr-like blue beast. Perhaps something a bit simpler and less fancy would work better. The shield could probably be used by a turtle-rider soldier, who seem to be more 'advanced' (or perhaps the concept blue soldier you have).

12 December 2005
Hello Professor... Thanks for the comment, indeed you have a point. I might do 1 of 2 things- either add some more armor to the enemy characters, or maybe just put the shield with the other team. That would be more coherent, actually. Thanks, man!

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

02 February 2006
The battle goes on!

Well, Im back at it . I hit a snag with Mental Ray pretty early on in that it wouldnt render the scene with the few elements that I had in it, with 2gb of mem, let alone two whole armies with fur, etc. on there! So I used this as an opportunity to try out Renderman for Maya, as it would supposedly render with motion blur, SSS, displacement and HDRI! So far, so good. Its not exactly quick for raytracing, but if you consider what its doing with the displacement, it seems pretty quick in the end. Im going for a new strategy, which is to finish the elements that I have one by one before I place them into the scene, so that each one is as optimized and clean as possible to make the rendering easier. The light will probably be similar to the lighting here on the turtle, possibly with a better occlusion pass. My new script to finish this scene:

1) Turtle - helmet needs a paint job
2) Queen - rigging, posing and shading
3) background - projection on the floor, better water, painted skies and mountain. Possibly a matte paining of buildings in the background, near the mountain
4) finish off the blue guy- teeth, 1 expression, fur on the legs. Shield (new one, simpler), lance, swords/clubs.
5) modeling of the soldier character. Shading, rigging.
6) posing of both armies
7) (if theres time) minister guy- modeling, shading, rigging, posing
8) grasses on the ground, shrubbery, debris. Painting in Zbrush of the sand interference (displacement)
9) compositing - smoke, effects. Jacobs ladder on the back of the turtle

And thats all . Im still aiming for the expose 4 book deadline, but its a lot of work. The emphasis is in the final quality of the image. Well see if I have time. At least now Im back on track. This is what I have so far on the turtle-

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

02 February 2006
Talking

keep going hope u could finish in time

02 February 2006
Anxiously

waiting for you to post your updates, Diego!

02 February 2006
setup setup setup

Just a sidenote... All of these chaacters will be rigged to be animated once the scene is set up, Im not aiming only to create a still... which is part of the reason why its taking so long . The main advantage is that I can pose the characters exactly as I want them, instead of modeling for a still pose (plus, in the case of so many similar characters, it would be a waste). The problem is when I want to correct something, it needs to be a correction blendshape as opposed to importing it into Zbrush and fiddling with it. Anyway, I thought Id post an AVI (Divx 6.0, < 500kb) just showing the turtle going from its rest pose to the render pose. The detail here is that the queens platform stays level, after all we dont want her to fall off in the middle of the battle .

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

02 February 2006
congrats

diegao

the turtle is looking amazing, the shading work (with subsurface scattering is fantastic! looking good and will definitely have a space in the expose 4 book. Not just the image is good but the fact you are so motivated to finish it now is very cool!

and, of course, Rio rulz

congratulations!

From your friend
Metello
andre_metello@hotmail.com

02 February 2006
My last message

became obsolete just as I posted it! Youre fast!

Anyways, the whole work is looking pretty consistent so far. The design is cohesive, and Im looking forward to the final image. Just keep in mind to always look at the big picture without getting caught up in itsy-bitsy tiny details that eat up your work time. One problem I have is to sort out which details are important (and will make my work more eloquent) and which ones are not necessary. If you plan on animating it afterwards, work in "passes": figure out what details are needed for your Expose entry, and the ones that can be done later, for your animation. I do trust your good judgment!

Keep it up!

Last edited by cmiura : 02 February 2006 at 09:26 PM.

02 February 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread