Anatomy Thread of Corvax - 2D/3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2005
Anatomy Thread of Corvax - 2D/3D

Okay since personal treads seams to be the big thing right now I guess I'll give it a go

I don't really know how this works, if you guys wanna know something about me or you'd rather I don't talk to much and just post some artwork anyhow just tell me if I'm doing this all wrong.

I guess I'll start of by posting a drawing, I cant be completely off that way *hehe*.

This was drawn from photoreference which I got over ad Hong Ly's Characterdesigns.com site, it was drawn on brown kardus using graphite and chalk. the scan isn't to good but it'll have to do .

feel more then welcome to comment on this and following drawings or paintings in this thread.

Cheers David René.

Sorry about my bad english by the way .

11 November 2005
Talking

Corvax / David René,

First off, which do you prefer to be called? I'm happy to see your new thread! Since this is your thread, you are most welcome to post here whatever you please ~ I personally like to hear about peoples' backgrounds / training etc. as it helps me to understand where folks are coming from, plus it's just interesting to hear. So a little bio would be cool if you don't mind it.

This is a really nice piece, and I'm really glad to see that folks are taking advantage of Hong's excellent photos ~ he's be happy to know it, too. I'm interested to know the size of this drawing and what materials you used. I really like the tonal quality of the paper, your linework and shading. Overall, it's quite a nice piece, despite there being a slight problem with her right hip ~ she needs just a bit more of a waist ~ but as a total drawing, this is really impressive.

Do you plan to do Anatomy Studies here, or figure drawings, or both? Up to you.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
he he ... well I tend to refer to myself as David .. that being my name and all.. but David, Dave, Mr. René or Corvax as long as I know I'm the one in question.

And about me:

Well after I finished my basic schooling, I went right of and started studying graphic arts and here in Denmark that's mostly done trough a three year apprenticeship, but the print industry wasn't doing too well and wasn't all keen on taking in any apprentices, I think there were four out of a class of twenty who got an apprenticeship and that was all trough connections, so after about six months I had to leave that idea, anyway nothing is ever wasted and I learned a lot about layouts, typography, printing, scanning and the whole digital imaging thing during that time.

after I gave up graphic arts, I went on to study to become an architectural assistant (basically doing clean up of floor plans and architectural drawings), that was all about perspective and construction drawing, lots of fun, but again we weren't really in demand and I ran into the apprenticeship issue again.

well during that time I had been introduced to AutoCAD and was really exited about some of the 3D things you could do whit it and wanted to explore that some more. So I started on a 3D course and while I was there I went from being exited about architecture to being really exited about characters and more specific character design I was actually so exited about and studied to hard that soon the course I was attending couldn't keep up whit me, so I left plus what I really wanted to do was make up and draw characters not model or animate them.

so now I'm taking a few courses (mainly to justify me just drawing all the time *hehe*), and just building up my skills and portfolio so that i can get into design school.

enough talk and more drawings:

this is me failing miserably at drawing cloth whit out reference *hehe*
its again graphite and chalk.

11 November 2005
Talking

David,

Hey, cool! Thanks for all of the info ~ sounds like you have an interesting history already! It's interesting for me to hear about the job market / training system in Europe, as it is quite different from here in the US. It seems much more connections / apprenticeship based, and school is, I think, the main route to a job there. Not that that is much different from here, really. But I don't think you have to be as connected ~ you just have to have the money to pay for school, which is a big obstacle for many.

At any rate, I hope that this thread will be useful for you in working on your Design Portfolio! Tell me, how is design school different from the type of apprenticeship you had before? I am just curious.

Well, I don't think that I would categorize at all your drawings here as "failing miserably" ~ these are quite nice studies! I would say that the texture and shape makes the drawings appear to be of living things like trees, but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. In and of themselves, these are beautiful drawings ~ it would be cool to see what you could do from live sources, as well.

Well, I think you have a good start here. What would you like to most work on ~ what is most required for your entrance to Design School?

Looking forward to seeing how your thread develops! Off to bed for me!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
Okay I just wanted to answer some of the questions I didn't get to in prier posts.

the sizes of the drawings and materials used:

the first drawing is about 12,5 inches long (from the tips of her fingers to tips of her toes) the following two are about 6-7 inches tall.

Materials used:
Graphite pencils 4B to 9B plus one HB.
white chalk.
Brown rough kardus paper (I don't know if you call it kardus in the US sorry).

all three pieces are drawn using the same techniques; lightly roughing in the drawing using a hard pencil (which always looks like an awful mess of hairy lines ), and then just defining lines and shadows using softer pencils and finally highlighting whit chalk.

Do I plan to do anatomy studies or figure drawing:
well this is kinda embarrassing, and goes to show just how much of an art novice I am *hehe* because I have no idea what the definition or the difference is of the two.
I guess I'm gonna throw this right back at you and ask; what would be the best approach to learning to draw the human figure?

okay im gonna leave it at that ~ might come back to comment on the whole schooling thingy.

Is it okay I post this here or would it be considered overkill sens its also posted in the OFDW thread?

--Cheers David René.

11 November 2005
Talking

David,

I've no problem with you posting in both places. In fact I think it helps to give a better sense of your progression.

There's really no right or wrong way to approach learning to draw. You're doing the important part, which is to practice. I would continue to participate in the OFDWs and if there is a life drawing session in your area, I would encourage you to go to that if you can. Or, you might want to draw people or animals in public settings, like a shopping mall or zoo. (Same difference, sometimes).

I would mainly suggest following your instincts at this point. Do what you enjoy, and your instincts will lead you.

I'm happy to see your interest in the forum.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005

got some strange things going on in the upper back but I think it overall communicates alright. About an hour went into this, so it is kinda rough .

-- cheers David René.

11 November 2005
Talking

David,

You've got a lot of really good things going in these drawings ~ I love the tone of the paper, and the alternately aggressive and sensitive linework ~ it's quite advanced. There is in addition an emotional quality to your work which is lending the figures an aura of gravitas which I am enjoying quite a lot.

Which artists of the past do you most admire? I think you would greatly benefit by studying the particular work of a favorite artist ~ at some point. You are doing quite well here on your own, and it will be nice to see your further explorations.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
just wanted to post this before I go off to class.

11 November 2005
‡‡‡‡‡ Bone Toss ‡‡‡‡‡

Strong works here <> even stronger if you use your whites a little less <> it is about choices and the hightlight think takes a great deal of restraint <> I fight it all the time <> we all do!

Think where you what to viewer to look first <> that's it your done <> stop!

I know it is not really all that easy!

11 November 2005
Talking

David,

Nice drawing ~ there are a few small problems, but you've really got a nice feeling of oppositional curves going here which is quite nice. I think if her right side had a bit more of an elongated / stretched feel, and her left side a more compressed feel, this would be an even stronger drawing. Her left hand is a bit odd, though I commend you for drawing this much of the figure successfully. I think what would help the drawing of the face is if you do what is called 'completing forms' ~ where you imagine the underlying basic geometry / structure of things, such that the cheek becomes a ball, the face an elliptical sphere, etc. Drawing a strict contour often flattens the shape ~ try exaggerating the roundness of things to get areas to read dimensionally.

This piece (particularly the area of the torso) pleasantly reminds me of some of Rubens' drawings.

Nice to see more of your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
~DoctorBone: I do have a tendency to overdo my highlights ... I'll make a mental note about it. thanks

~Rebeccak: It was a bit rushed .. not my finest work , I do appreciate the critic thou and I'll try to take more care whit how I render forms.

I don't think I placed this figure to well on the page, properly should have taken the time to crop it before posting... I'm so lazy...

-- David René

11 November 2005
Talking

Dave,

This is a beautiful drawing! You really have strong understanding of form, and grace / solidity as well. I think the body, for the most part, is done exceptionally well. There's a minor problem with the right foot, but it's small. The main thing I notice that may be a bit off in your drawings is the 3/4 views of the head. I think you tend to give the models too much cranial mass, and the heads end up looking perhaps a bit too solid. Perhaps you might want to try some head studies only? I actually think those are great exercises for all of us. Hmmm...

Nice work, as I'm coming to expect! Great to see your fast drawings on the 15 minute sketchathon thread as well!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
Just playing around in photoshop, about 30 min.

I like the colors and the lighting but besides that im not too sure about this one.

11 November 2005
Hi Dave
Really nice drawings, excellent draftmanship.
I think, at the point your at now, you might really benifit from a couple of Burne Hogarth
books, one being Dynamic Anatomy, and the other being Dynamic Figure Drawing.
He also has one called Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery which you might be interested in
also.If your interested in figure creation, and character design, then he's your man.
His books are great and easy to understand.Everything you will ever need to know about
figure drawing, is contained within them. You'll be amazed, and delighted, I think.
Get them if you can, they will really help you take your drawings to a higher level.
Very nice site you have here by the way.
Take Care
Glenn

Thread Closed share thread