Toon/Cell Shaders???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #16
yepp, or Salador Dali. Picassos paintings are junk. All distorted and the eyes never in their place, but Dali could really paint. His paintings look like made with C4D.

Old 05 May 2005   #17
Picasso could paint as good as Dali when he was 12 years old, no kidding.
Picasso art is not junk, you are just being ignorant, thats all.
You dont have to like Picasso, but he has had more influence on todays magazine vignette-illustrations than any other artist out there.
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/f...sso01-youth.htm

Olli

Old 05 May 2005   #18
you cant really say ignorant.
I am realist. I like realistic look although the reality can be a bit distorted like in Dali's pictures.
With respect to Picasso's pictures: I could draw that easily. Only problem: I am not famous. I dont know how picasso could become so famous with his talent to draw :(

Well, some are Picasso fans while others are Dali fans

Old 05 May 2005   #19
Yes, you could draw that easily, I guess.
Thats why you will be spending your time doing bodys with drawers to revolutionize art-world.
guess you are a realist.
;-).

Old 05 May 2005   #20
ah, ollie, now you finally understand me
for a picasso you really dont need talent, just like me, I am a horrible painter and all my pics look distorted like Pisassos.
I just wished I could draw like Dali.
Nun, man kan eben nich ales koennen.

Old 05 May 2005   #21
Sure.. there is a lot a modern art that a normal person can draw and paint even with limited skills.
But can they also get the idea ?

I think the beauty in art lays in looking at a piece and think "What were this guys thinking, when he did this" or "Is this guy trying to tell me something"

And then it is really not important if it is a photo, painting or a sculpture in magic dough.

Back to the discussion about Sketch and Toons. I do some technical illustrations and just trust me when i say that it easier to show how a piston works with ST than photo realism

And to the guys who prefer pictures instead of painting... why are you doing 3D... you can get a pretty good camera for the price of C4D ?

All the best
Nextor

Old 05 May 2005   #22
Jorge, are you serious? You can't mean that you easily draw as good as Picasso.

I don't like much of Picasso's later work but I love his older pictures.

Bob

Old 05 May 2005   #23
Picasso could draw and paint like a master at the age of 13, he was a genius in the true sense of the word. His later cubist and other styles developed because he wanted to go beyond traditional painting.

Mind you Dali could paint a bit too! ;o)

Old 05 May 2005   #24
I could probably paint like picasso when he was already a bit 'riper'. Guess during the development people can become better or also worse.
Picasso became worse while Dali became better over time.

Looks a bit like made with C4D, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg memory.jpg (61.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Mono Jojoy : 05 May 2005 at 03:43 PM.

Old 05 May 2005   #25
Why are you being so critical as to the choice of medium that one wants to portray their art? Hacking Picasso, Dali or anyone for that matter is ridiculous.

Art is a subjective form, and it is also a form expression. Rather than discourage you need to put energy into encouraging. Don't question the artist and ridicule him on his choice of medium, instead look for what they intend to do and encourage them to the end.

Old 05 May 2005   #26
nextor hits the nail on the head:
apart from style & cool or not, 3Ds renderpower can also be a trap when presenting unfinished concepts.
As the photorealistic render will always be accepted as close-to-real, the discussion about a concept will easily be lost in details because the finished product will be expected to be exactly like it.
NPR gives a good way of doing presentation here, much like presenting hand-made fast sketches to illustrate an idea.

Olli

Old 05 May 2005   #27
Thats why I like C4D. You can make it very close to real. I like close to real.
Then I wouldnt use a toon shader to make it flat again.

Old 05 May 2005   #28
Originally Posted by Mono Jojoy: Thats why I like C4D. You can make it very close to real. I like close to real.
Then I wouldnt use a toon shader to make it flat again.

well, sometimes its not about what you like, but about what works--
or what other people like.
( I like good photorealism a well as good cartoon, as long as its good quality-- and I also like Picasso, not all of his work but his interesting development--and i like Frank Frazetta (and a lot more))

Olli

Old 05 May 2005   #29
Knocking down on something that is an option seems a bit backwards to me in the first place. Toon shading is a possibilty among others - and as such it does not limit anything else, OK?

As a sidenote, I needed my signature digitized the other day, and my scanner is dead since long ago. What to do? Just signed my name with a freehand spline, assigned an S&T pencil shader and rendered it out Not your typical art-business pro decision, but like Olli said, it's all about what works.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 05 May 2005   #30
I don't like it real. Why? Because i have a decent camera If todays art had stopped at hyperrealism of the seventies the world would have become pretty boring. There's more to live than to create jaw-dropping realism if you ask me. Funny that there are still people around questioning Picasso when i look at the (media) art of today. I'd understand questioning if eating umts-phones is considered art, but still this 'picasso didn't paint good' topic? Hey, its 2005 after all There's a market for ringtones and britney spears out there

Thread Closed share thread