PPSH-41 russian smg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2005
PPSH-41 russian smg

i think its almost finished, im still learning to texture, so the drum texture was just a test but i think i could do the rest like that, i didnt want to start unwrapping until i was completly satisfied with the model. Well, im not completly satisfied with the model, but it will do.
I plan to make it look old, not surgically clean like the wooden handle there.
This is the wire:

and this is the character which will inherit the gun
but i still havent found the time to work on him
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=194884

02 February 2005
Thumbs up Awesome!

Excellent! Bravo! Extremely realistsic. Only thing I would say is maybe make the stock a bit more reddish, or a bit darker of a wood. But that's not much of an issue. The modelling and texturing is right on. It looks very accurate. May I ask, what did you use for reference? a photo, line drawing or an actual ppsh?

02 February 2005
Nice model, but make the wooden texture of the floor/desk a bit smaller, because it makes your model look a bit like a toy, it looks small.

Making it look old an less shiny is great idea.

02 February 2005
WOOHOO , ey , great work, I think the wood thing could use some more texture work tho...

have u seen my ppsh?

here u can check it out as it is wip, im almost done with it

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=168071&page=2

02 February 2005
nice work

the metal is very well shaded but I think the wood needs more work, try making the shiny highlight less bright (or take it away),

Any way nice work

02 February 2005
I agree, the wood could be better, but the metal is pretty realistic!

cheers,
HB

02 February 2005
Nice one pailhead. I don't like Weapons but renderings are ok. I agree about the darker wood. Would like it more too.

Keep it up, especially on the Character!

03 March 2005
@-=NightHawk=-
Thanks man, as far as the accuracy is concerned, well, i've tried to keep it as accurate as i could, but i couldn't really get all the details from the photo references, so in part, i've made up some smaller details.
For the references i've used photos i've found via google, no bluprints and schematics.

@all

Ill change the wood into something a bit darker and definatly dirtier with some dents and scratches.

The model is almost finished, there is one metal part missing on the back of the handle, the recoil needle thing that sticks out of the gun on the opposite side and thats it.
Ill put the shell modifier ontop of meshmooth on the front cooling part, if you look at the original i think that my object doesnt look like well-cut steel, rather like some soft bent and thin plate because of the smooth holes. Might loose some highlights there but the profile is very very small afterall.

I'm not really sure how to do the shaders. While i was modeling i've kept a sky hdri in the enviroment and the test metal material looked very nice. As soon as i've put the kitchen probe hdri (used in this render) the highlits became much stronger.
Does anyone have a good idea how to set a "standard" while testing materials, like "this and that HDRI with so much multiplier" or "a light of this kind, there with that multiplier".

Anyway, here is the drum i did shortly after the first render. I've just boosted the hdri multiplier.

and so far i've only had the time to increase the tiling on the floor material.
you can see the crude texture painting on the drum :(

03 March 2005
Your DOF might be a little too drastic, which also adds to the model feeling rather small. I'm not very familiar with this type of stuff, but are the bullets the correct scale? They look a little small to me too.

I agree, you've nailed the painted metal material. Just a suggestion, i personally like the way old, very well taken care of tools look. The way they are worn, especially wooden handles, where you can see where some guy put his hand over and over again. Like an old butcher knife or hammer. You might want to investigate that type of look?

As for the HDRI, the kitchen probe has some really nice things going for it but it has been used quite a bit. Maybe a combination of a low multi HDRI map and point lights could give you the control and color range you want.

Last edited by tbaylymca : 03 March 2005 at 08:05 PM.

03 March 2005
The geometry and the metal look really great. The only thing I would suggest about the metal is to wear the finish off near the edges where the gun hits things alot. Also, making some of the edges ragged from slamming into things would look good. Heres a macro shot of my airsoft mag:
http://www.shellshockede.com/airsoftpics/magdamage.jpg

The wood could use alot of work. I think the finish on the russian SMGs of the time was more of a wax then a gloss coat. Also, over time the wood gets really chipped, dinged up, and dirty.

03 March 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread